Not quite getting the MPG's that I expected.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Not quite getting the MPG's that I expected.

Handbrake Released

Not quite getting the MPG's that I expected.

I just got a new '13 Cruze about 2 weeks ago. I was very impressed with the advertised fuel mileage. So far, I'm getting anywhere between 25 - 28 MPG with mixed city (a lot of traffic lights) and highway driving. I thought I would do a little better - somewhere around 30. I had a '10 Malibu that did just a little worse - around 22-24 mixed driving and that's a much bigger and heavier car.

The car is still breaking in - only have about 350 miles, so I'm sure it will improve as time goes on. I remember it improved with my Malibu after it broke in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

I wouldn't fret about it yet. The car's still breaking in, and with the cold weather that's finally made its appearance recently thrown in too, that's a recipe for lower than expected fuel economy.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Aesop
    You may be able to average 28-29 mpg driving a Prius under those conditions, hybrids don't work in fast acceleration and stopping in city traffic. Even a lot worse in cold weather, battery efficiency drops to nothing. But at least you are not driving a large SUV or a pickup, would be lucky to get 6-7 mpg in that kind of traffic just carrying you as the only passenger.

Hate this winter gas, average mpg dropped down from 39 to 33 mpg with the same kind of driving.

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    You may be able to average 28-29 mpg driving a Prius under those conditions, hybrids don't work in fast acceleration and stopping in city traffic. Even a lot worse in cold weather, battery efficiency drops to nothing. But at least you are not driving a large SUV or a pickup, would be lucky to get 6-7 mpg in that kind of traffic just carrying you as the only passenger.

Hate this winter gas, average mpg dropped down from 39 to 33 mpg with the same kind of driving.
    Yes, I heard that winter gas really hurts fuel economy. But I still thought that I would do a little better with fuel economy, but I guess I will need to have anywhere from 1,000 - 2,000 miles on the car before I'm getting the true MPG's that I expect. I like the feature where you can have 2 sets of fuel data in the DIC. I'm going to reset the DIC when I enter the highway to see what I get with just highway driving.

There's basically a traffic light on every corner where I live and they're long lights, so I do a lot of starting and stopping as well as idling before I hit the highway. I'm surprised I'm averaging as much as I am.

Handbrake Released
    You will start seeing better MPG when you get more miles under the hood. Thinking I read it was between 2-3,000 miles is when it will level off. Remember...the car is still getting used to your driving and what not. Never fear though...by this Spring, you'll be doing lots of bragging about your MPG!

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    A few things to consider.

1. As noted, your car is still breaking in. Give it a couple thousand miles.
    2. The weather has cooled down. This means that it is now taking your car longer to warm up, during which time it is dumping fuel in open loop mode. EPA testing is not done at these kinds of temperatures, and the car warms up more quickly. This takes a significant hit on your fuel economy.
    3. Your tire pressure may have dropped since you purchased the car due to a drop in outside temperatures. Even a few PSI will make the difference. Check those and make sure it's correct.
    4. EPA testing is done with 100% pure (ethanol-free) 91 octane fuel. What are you using? We have proven here that there is considerable fuel economy to be gained by using high octane fuel (91/93). Furthermore, you are now on a winter blend fuel, which contains less total energy than a summer blend fuel, and chances are you are using some percentage of ethanol.

All of these factors combined will result in a fuel economy lower than what you may have expected or read about. See my article on getting better fuel economy if you want a few tips on improving this, but don't expect to be hitting over 30mpg if you're sitting at traffic lights most of the time. What's your average speed showing?
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

I'm getting about 37-39 consistently on the highway with less than 600 miles on mine so far. First fill up I put 91/no ethanol fuel in. I am pretty happy so far with mine, and it will only get better with break in wear.

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    A few things to consider.

1. As noted, your car is still breaking in. Give it a couple thousand miles.
    2. The weather has cooled down. This means that it is now taking your car longer to warm up, during which time it is dumping fuel in open loop mode. EPA testing is not done at these kinds of temperatures, and the car warms up more quickly. This takes a significant hit on your fuel economy.
    3. Your tire pressure may have dropped since you purchased the car due to a drop in outside temperatures. Even a few PSI will make the difference. Check those and make sure it's correct.
    4. EPA testing is done with 100% pure (ethanol-free) 91 octane fuel. What are you using? We have proven here that there is considerable fuel economy to be gained by using high octane fuel (91/93). Furthermore, you are now on a winter blend fuel, which contains less total energy than a summer blend fuel, and chances are you are using some percentage of ethanol.
    All of these factors combined will result in a fuel economy lower than what you may have expected or read about. See my article on getting better fuel economy if you want a few tips on improving this, but don't expect to be hitting over 30mpg if you're sitting at traffic lights most of the time. What's your average speed showing?
    1. Yes, I only have 350 miles. I remember my Malibu started getting better MPG's when I hit over 1,000 miles.
    2. I did notice the Cruze takes a while to warm up. The temperature gauge stays on cold for about 4-5 minutes. With the Malibu, the temperature gauge started to rise within a minute. Once the Cruze warms up, the heat is great. It was really cold the other day and I didn't even have to set the thermostat all the way up. It got too warm. With the Malibu, I had to keep the thermostat all the way up to get good heat.
    3. The tire pressure is where is should be. They're showing about 35-37 PSI in each tire, so that's plenty of pressure.
    4. I'm actually using regular gas. Premium is so much more expensive where I live - about 40 cents per gallon. I know that turbos get better fuel economy with Premium, but the car runs fine on regular.

I'm actually seeing better MPG's already. Today, I got up to 30 MPG with mixed city and highway driving. Previously, I was getting 28-29, so it's already improving.

I'm going to reset the 2nd set of fuel data when I get on the highway. I'd like to see what I get with pure highway driving. If I'm getting 30 MPG with mixed driving, I'll probably get in the high 30's with pure highway driving.

4th Gear
    People are always so quick to complain and point fingers...It's like a broken record on here.

1st Gear
    Honestly, if your in a lot of stop and go(stop lights) before you get on the highway, that is killing it. I would be getting over 40 mpg if I didn't have the little bit of city driving before getting on the highway. My highway has been 40-45 mpg at 70-74 mph and I'm not driving an eco model, just a 1LT manual trans car. I get between 31-35 mpg average with 50/50 highway/city. Your doing fine.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast