Is the Cruze 1.4 LT none turbo worth doing mods? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Is the Cruze 1.4 LT none turbo worth doing mods?

Retired Moderator

Let's clear up what engine is under the hood for starters. If it's the LT/LTZ/Eco, it has the 1.4 turbo Ecotec. If it's the LS, it has the 1.8 naturally aspirated Ecotec.

Next, adding 150 hp is pretty darned impractical. Well, unless you have a large fortune and want to make it into a small fortune. The easiest way to add 150 hp to a Cruze is to sell it and get a Verano Turbo. Same platform, much nicer digs inside, and 260 hp under the hood.

If you have the 1.4 and want to make more power, there's no cheap way to do it. The cheapest is a tune. Anything after that, start hoping you hit the lottery since it's going to cost bookoo bucks. With what you can spend on a Cruze's 1.4T to make 200 whp, you could have just purchased the Verano Turbo, had 60 more ponies to start, and still have enough left over for a tank of gas or five. And once that Verano Turbo gets a tune for 300 hp, you're still in the weeds.

Cruzes aren't quick cars. They'll get out of their own way plenty fine, and that's about it. Oh, they'll also get very good to excellent fuel economy.
    iCruze2 likes this.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Aesop
    1.4 L Turbo does pretty well in passing in 3rd gear, red lined at around 85 mph.

Nothing like getting behind an idiot on a hilly Wisconsin two lane road where that driver in head of you constantly varies their speed from 35-50 mph. When you can pass, suddenly a lots of oncoming traffic. When after miles of this, finally can pass, you find yourself doing 65 mph and still not passing, so have to gun it. Shoots up to 80 mph very quickly.

But then you set your cruise at 60 mph, and find this idiot riding your butt. Driven lots of vehicles a lot slower than the Cruze where you can't even pass at all. And none of those got 40+ mpg. Cruze is a good car the way it is.
    obermd and kfr291 like this.

Solution: however expensive, do a motor swap with the LNF motor, throw on an intake, use the k04 turbo upgrade, a FMIC, and a basic tune. That will give you around 350 hp and about 400 torque. But again, a very expensive upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

2012 1LT Victory Red RS 6MT

Current mods:

E-85 KIT!!!
    TTR Solid Upper-Engine Mount
    Injen CAI
    Boost Gauge
    AEM AFR Wideband Gauge
    ZZP Pillar Pod

Forge Atmospheric BOV
    Plasti-Dipped Emblem's
    Custom Turbo-Back exhaust with IMCO high flow muffler
    H&R Lowering Springs

Exhaust: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKo_vVRRUd0

Future:
    Coilovers

Autocross Champion
    Easy, first step is to return your car and purchase a 2013 Malibu and get a trifecta tune. According to a recent member's post he's now making 295hp which is about 150+hp like you wanted.

I'm not sure if you wanted a high perf car and decided to build up a Cruze or you got the Cruze and were disappointed in the power. Either way, you failed in the research department.

I'd suggest you enjoy the car. Spend $2k on parts and enjoy it, it's a lot funner than you think. Just because it says 138hp doesn't mean it's a lame duck. You can reasonably get the car to 200hp and I bet you'll be super happy with it as long as you aren't out on saturday nights trying to race for pinks.
    2014 Genesis Coupe 3.8 R-Spec
    2011 Cruze Eco
    : Traded for something better

4th Gear
    Lolz

Driver's Ed
    Honestly, I am thinking about selling my 2012 Camaro, it only has 2,500 miles on it and is 426HP stock. I'm thinking $38,000 for it, I paid $44,000 les than a year ago. This may be the car that you really want. With bolt on parts, you can easily be in the 700HP area.

Let me know if your interested.

Sent from some really trashy mobile app that isn't Tapatalk.
    iCruze2 likes this.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
    Honestly, I am thinking about selling my 2012 Camaro, it only has 2,500 miles on it and is 426HP stock. I'm thinking $38,000 for it, I paid $44,000 les than a year ago. This may be the car that you really want. With bolt on parts, you can easily be in the 700HP area.

Is it a 2SS/RS?

Aesop
    Horsepower race actually started in 1928 when Henry Ford introduced the new four cylinder Model A Ford. Shortly after, Chevrolet came out with a sightly faster six. This led Henry to keep his crew burning the midnight oil to learn how to cast a single block for a V-8 engine as before the V-8 block had to be made in pieces.

With higher end cars, the Lincoln came out with a V-12 with Cadillac following with a V-16 and its been that way. During our gas crunch, we have more 500 HP vehicles than ever with power you can't even legally use on our roads.

In the 50's were trying to get one horsepower per cubic inch of displacement, little Cruze is not doing too bad in developing 1.6 HP per cube. Can purchase a vehicle that goes over 200 mph, but won't be driving that for long, after about ten minutes or so, will drain a 24 gallon tank.

None of our transportation to and from work or school, former is to put bread on the table, latter until a kid is 18 years of age is the law for school is tax deductible.

I am in far more in favor of a high mpg race than any kind of a HP race.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by iCruze2 View Post
    Is it a 2SS/RS?
    Yes, 2SS/RS Transformer 3 Edition.
    uploadfromtaptalk1355229370117.jpg

BOOOOST!
    Quote Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post

Lol at 700hp with bolt-ons.

I guess you're including a cam and blower as "bolt-ons".

Bottom line if you want to go fast for cheap the best car by far is the '13 mustang GT. You can grab a base model in the high 20s, 420hp and a few hundred lbs lighter than the Camaro. Add the track pkg and it's a great all around car for a little over 30K.
    Cruze 1LT M6 - K&N Drop In, Intake Resonator Delete, Black Label Tuned - 162whp/186wtq @ 18.5psi
    GSXR750 - Turbo, E85, approx 220whp
    ZX10R - Mufflers - 161whp

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.