1st year ownership review
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 1st year ownership review

Driver's Ed

1st year ownership review

2012 LS 1.8L, M6, 17,500 miles, bought Oct. 2011.

Bad:
    Acceleration OK if no passengers and AC off but with a passenger and/or AC on car is downright dangerous. My test drive was on the 1.3L turbo so maybe that has more power.
    Low tire pressure indication is default on driver control screen, so have to cycle menu through all 4 tires to get to trip odometer every time car is started. Can't run tires at full pressure as it is like solid rubber grocery cart tires and ride is extremely harsh. My previous "ancient technology" car had single rod on dash to activate trip odo.
    Tone control on radio is via menu and can't be done while driving; at least I can't, yet. My previous "ancient technology" car had a knob on the radio. You didn't have to take your eyes off the road.
    Visibility is bad, with blind spots. I can't count the number of times I've had horns blasting on me as what I thought was clear to the side, or when backing up, wasn't. I understand it is due to the safe construction.

Good:
    Great gas mileage. Looks like a BMW 3 series from the rear. M6 transmission is great. Huge trunk. High quality interior for the price.

Would I get one again knowing the above? No.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

World Rally Champion
    Are you use there was not something wrong with your tire pressure monitor system(low tire reading)? There is no default data field on my 2012 cruze. Only time something will keep coming up is if there is something wrong.

I start my car with the speed,fuel range, instant MPG screen every single time(note I don't think the 2011 has this screen).
    Last edited by spacedout; 12-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 56K miles

World Rally Champion
    you might also want to edit the part about what engine your car has, first you say you have a 1.8L then indicate that the one you tested WAS a 1.3T(which is also incorrect, its a 1.4T).

Having driven both engines, I can say in everyday driving the low end torque the turbo adds on the 1.4T makes the engine seem much larger than it is. If I did not know any better my automatic goes so well with easy/medium throttle I would think I was driving a 3.0L v6 or larger.

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 56K miles

I don't know about the 2012 LS but the The 2011 has 2 selections 1 for for the TPMS and OLM and one for the trip info(MPH. Trip odo 1+2 MPG and avg. MPH). If I were the OP I would tune the engine check the plugs and the car is much more reasonable to drive. W/O the tune the car is one big dog.

Quote Originally Posted by kuchak View Post

Bad:
    Acceleration OK if no passengers and AC off but with a passenger and/or AC on car is downright dangerous. My test drive was on the 1.3L turbo so maybe that has more power.
    Low tire pressure indication is default on driver control screen, so have to cycle menu through all 4 tires to get to trip odometer every time car is started. Can't run tires at full pressure as it is like solid rubber grocery cart tires and ride is extremely harsh. My previous "ancient technology" car had single rod on dash to activate trip odo.
    Tone control on radio is via menu and can't be done while driving; at least I can't, yet. My previous "ancient technology" car had a knob on the radio. You didn't have to take your eyes off the road.
    Visibility is bad, with blind spots. I can't count the number of times I've had horns blasting on me as what I thought was clear to the side, or when backing up, wasn't. I understand it is due to the safe construction.

Good:
    Great gas mileage. Looks like a BMW 3 series from the rear. M6 transmission is great. Huge trunk. High quality interior for the price.

Many of us run our tire pressure upwards of 50psi, it can be rough at first but you get used to it easily. Certainly doesn't feel like shopping cart wheels. I've NEVER heard anyone complaining about using placard pressure..

I've adjusted my radio settings while driving many times.. not sure what you are talking about there.

The 1.8L has the same horsepower as the 1.4(not 1.3) turbocharged engine. Torque is a little less, but again, can't say anyone has considered the power 'dangerous'.

Blind spots have been no problem for me. Looking over your shoulder instead of relying on your mirrors does wonders.

Maybe your expectations were too high.. but keep in mind this is a economical budget car that GM happened to do an extremely good job of creating this vehicle.

Would I get one again? Absolutely would..
    2012 Cruze RS-T 6M
    Performance
    - Tuned for E85 @ 24psi, 440cc Bosch Injectors, Spec Stage 3 Clutch, CXRacing FMIC, ZZP Down and Catted Midpipe, Forge BOV, K&N Typhoon SRI, Custom Magnaflow Catback, Big 3 Ground Kit, Mobil 1 Oil, RP 75w90 Trans Fluid.
    Exterior - Plastidip Wheels, Stripes, Rear Chrome, RS badge relocation

210hp/270tq on E85.
    OnlyTaurus's Build Thread

November 2012 Cruze Of The Month
    March 2013 Member Of The Month

I'm Building the Very First... Cruze SS!

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.

Bad:

Good:

I wouldn't call this as much of a review as I would a complaint. Some of these simply aren't valid complaints.

As others have noted, it was a 1.4T, and the 1.8L is entirely different. The 1.4T makes a lot more torque at low RPMs than the 1.8L does. That said, your spark plug gaps may have been too low and you should have taken this in to get it looked at instead of just complaining how bad it is. Just being honest here. The Civic, Elantra, and Corolla have just as much power, so it's not like the Cruze specifically is underpowered. I would highly recommend pulling them and gapping to .035".

You can't complain about the ride being harsh at max sidewall pressure. It should be obvious that at max sidewall, your tires will be significantly stiffer. I'm not sure why this is a fault of the car. Just keep it at the placard pressure and go on your merry way.

Tone control for the radio can be adjusted while driving. Please read the owner's manual for instructions or consult with your dealer. This is something you should have tried out before you purchased the car if it's a big deal.

I honestly think the visibility is great. What are you comparing this to?
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Administrator

Bad:

Good:

All cars accelerate slower when loaded. As a driver of a manual transmission you need to adjust. I can't comment on the low tire pressure indicator in the 2011s, but neither my 2012 Eco MT nor 2012 LS MT start the display here. They both remain where they were last time you turned the car off. Drop your tire pressure back to door placard level and you'll get a softer ride. Personally I like the stiffer ride and handling from higher tire pressure. The base radio allows tone and balance to be changed while driving. You can't modify many of the car's functions while driving, but you can modify the tone and balance while driving. If you want blind spots, try driving a convertable with the top up. Yes, the Cruze has some blind spots but there are two ways to correct this. Looking over your shoulder is the cheaper way. The more expensive way is to purchase convex mirror that you can stick to the outer edge of your mirror's glass.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Learning about my Cruze Dennis_Mn's Avatar
    When someone asks me how I like my Cruze, my reply is that I love it! But, a Cruze is actually 3 different cars, the 2LT is way different than a LS. Mine is just about 3 weeks from being one year old, with 17,700 miles, avg mpg per Fuelly is 31.5 and no problems. I've owned other turbo's but this one shows no turbo lag due to the smooth downshifts that the auto transmission makes. I love driving this car.
    sciphi likes this.

Administrator

I agree the Cruze is actually a "cover name" for several different cars. In the US, we have the LS, LT, and ECO. The LTZ is an "upgraded" option to the LT. All three have noticeably different driving behavior.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

3rd Gear
    I think by visibility he means looking to the side the visibility is poor and I agree. My Balt has much better visibility and the B Pillar doesn't get in the way as it does in the Cruze.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast