Can a 2012 Cruze Eco Have a Block Heater Installed?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Can a 2012 Cruze Eco Have a Block Heater Installed?

Can a 2012 Cruze Eco Have a Block Heater Installed?

I just want a definitive answer from someone who knows for sure. I am not talking about an oil pan heater, but an engine block heater.

I ask because when I bought my car I had heated seats and (supposedly) a block heater installed from the dealership as I was moving up to Arctic. I have since moved there and paid for the add-ons (well, I had them included in the financing) yet when I had it up on a hoist to have synthetic oil put in the mechanic pointed out the fact that it seems they installed a oil pan heater rather than an actual block heater, which, again, is what I ordered and paid for (and have documentation to prove it) while I was still in Halifax. I then went to the (one and only) dealership up here and the guy at the service desk said that he didn't believe that a block heater can actually be installed at all on a Cruze due to a welded frost cap or something? Can anyone clarify if a Cruze can, or cannot have a block heater installed?

Ideally this won't turn into a thread debating the pros and cons of each type of heating system.

Anyone have any expertise or experience in this matter?

Lastly, I find the hood patterns when it frosts over quite interesting.

Thanks in advance!hood.jpg
    Last edited by YKNWT; 12-28-2012 at 02:17 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

How was the drive?

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

It was good man, a long 7000 km haul for sure.

The bug deflector took one for the team on the Mackenzie Highway shattering upon being introduced to a semi-thrown rock. Well worth the $65 it cost as it surely would have done more damage had it hit the windshield.

Hit pretty much every type of weather you can get along the way from torrential downpours in the East to blizzards in Rockies, +13 degrees Celsius down to -40 degrees Celsius.

Elk, wild bison herds, and ice roads.

And through it all the Cruze performed excellently.

Administrator

Fabulous. Your signature still shows Halifax. With those low temps I can understand why you're looking for an engine block heater.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin

i remember the days when i had to use an engine block heater... didnt like those days too much hah. the Arctic is a *****. Good luck to you tho, im sure they tried to screw you over- to my knowledge ive seen cruzes plugged in the the terminals but.. could of always just been the oil pan heater.
    US Army Veteran - Rochester, NY | Instagram : @mastercanine
    2011 Cruze Eco 1.4T M/T
    Mods : -Trifecta Tune - Dual Borla Exhaust - Premium Aftermarket Audio System - ZZP Pillar Gauge Pod - Drop in K&N - Resonator Delete - Custom Vinyl Work (Hood, Roof, Trunk, Front/Rear Bowtie) - Interior L.E.D. Lighting (All) - Exterior L.E.D. Lighting (License plate, GlowTie) - 20% Tint All Around

1st Gear
    That's hilarious.... i always thought that someone did that to my hood! I've only seen it happen once, i must have had a reall warm engine just before a big snow that night.

haha, there must be some sort of insulation lining in the hood that has gaps.

Quote Originally Posted by YKNWT View Post
    I just want a definitive answer from someone who knows for sure. I am not talking about an oil pan heater, but an engine block heater.

I ask because when I bought my car I had heated seats and (supposedly) a block heater installed from the dealership as I was moving up to Arctic. I have since moved there and paid for the add-ons (well, I had them included in the financing) yet when I had it up on a hoist to have synthetic oil put in the mechanic pointed out the fact that it seems they installed a oil pan heater rather than an actual block heater, which, again, is what I ordered and paid for (and have documentation to prove it) while I was still in Halifax. I then went to the (one and only) dealership up here and the guy at the service desk said that he didn't believe that a block heater can actually be installed at all on a Cruze due to a welded frost cap or something? Can anyone clarify if a Cruze can, or cannot have a block heater installed?

Ideally this won't turn into a thread debating the pros and cons of each type of heating system.

Anyone have any expertise or experience in this matter?

Lastly, I find the hood patterns when it frosts over quite interesting.

Thanks in advance!hood.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycruze View Post
    That's hilarious.... i always thought that someone did that to my hood! I've only seen it happen once, i must have had a reall warm engine just before a big snow that night.

haha, there must be some sort of insulation lining in the hood that has gaps.
    It's the hood bracing that you're seeing. The insulation is covering the parts of the hood that has the frost on it and the "clear" areas are the braces that help the hood keep its shape.

Ok, so after a TON of research and calling around the answer is that you CANNOT have a traditional block heater (ie. one installed through a core plug) on a Cruze. The reasons being that, one the one hand, it is a small engine, and on the other, the fact that it is Turbo.

After a little back and forth with my dealership they have agreed to pay for a circulating heater to be installed as compensation for having installed a oil pan heater when a block heater was ordered.
    Last edited by YKNWT; 01-02-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    obermd likes this.

Hood looks kinda like an x-ray ... Hmm, that might actually be an interesting "plasti-dip" pattern for me to look into
    Last edited by spaycace; 01-29-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    "I refuse to have a battle of wits with an un-armed person"
    2012 Chevy Avalanche LTZ 4WD Traded in for 2014 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
    2012 Cruze Eco 6MT Traded in for 2013 Chevy Volt
    2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6MT w/Twin Turbos pushin' 680 ponies to the wheels!

Off-Road Champion

Did you ever get the circulating heater installed? I bought one but haven't put it on yet, looking for tips!
    '12 ECO MT

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast