Window fogging / defrost
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Window fogging / defrost

Driver's Ed

Window fogging / defrost

I've had the car a couple weeks now, and really do like it, but I'm wondering if the windshield defrost is working correctly.

This is Minnesota, so I expect to have to run some level of defrost, but I pretty much have to keep the defrost on with the fan at level 4 most of the time to keep the windows clear. I also have to turn on the rear window defrost.

I don't smell any anti-freeze, and the windows are clear until we get in and start driving, so I don't think it's a heater core issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

same problem last night, its not just you. there are other threads on this issue. maybe its because with the fan on 3 your only at 30% speed and 4 is 100%

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by epcotbob View Post
    I've had the car a couple weeks now, and really do like it, but I'm wondering if the windshield defrost is working correctly.

This is Minnesota, so I expect to have to run some level of defrost, but I pretty much have to keep the defrost on with the fan at level 4 most of the time to keep the windows clear. I also have to turn on the rear window defrost.

I don't smell any anti-freeze, and the windows are clear until we get in and start driving, so I don't think it's a heater core issue.
    Quit breathing so hard

Seriously though, the Cruze doesn't have a lot of interior space and has very little interior airflow when the blower is off. As a result it's real easy to get too much moisture in the air inside, which is what causes the fogging.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Driver's Ed
    Ok, makes sense. I haven't owned a small car for quite a while, so I'm not quite used to that.

Resident Tater Salad

I can leave my defrost on 1 or 2 in heavy rain, but it HAS to be pointed at the windshield. If I leave it on floor/defrost, everything just fogs up anyway.

Sometimes I'll just leave the AC running with the heat if it's raining. Seems like such a waste, but these cars seem to fog up easily. Something about the glass they use these days? My 1980's and 1990's cars never seemed to do this, but a Honda, the Cruze, and Toyota all made within the last 5 years seem to do it constantly.
    spacedout and Bohdan like this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Administrator

Defrost runs the A/C compressor to dry the air before blowing it into the cabin. Floor/Defrost doesn't use the A/C. I suspect if you turn the A/C on then floor/defrost will work as well.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    Defrost runs the A/C compressor to dry the air before blowing it into the cabin. Floor/Defrost doesn't use the A/C. I suspect if you turn the A/C on then floor/defrost will work as well.
    It should...at least it does on most other cars. I'll experiment with it again. Or perhaps it's in the owners manual sitting right here.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Resident Tater Salad

Hmm, the owners manual doesn't indicate anything about it.

Floor/defog: clears the windows of fog or moisture. Air is directed to the windshield and floor outlets.
    Defrost: Clears the windows of fog or moisture more quickly. Air is directed to the windshield and side window outlets.

Doesn't say anything about the AC compressor running. I suppose I could listen for it.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Are we talking about ice, or the windows fogging up?

I've had difficulty clearing the windows of fog two or three times in the past year. In those cases I left the fan speed at 4 until the windows cleared, perhaps twenty minutes. After that, the windows stayed clear at lower fan speeds.

A big part of having a choice of fan speeds is to account for varying conditions. Need to use the one that is effective. Can't expect being able to keep it on the lowest setting 100% of the time.
    Going out for a CRUZE

Accelerating to 6th gear!

Driver's Ed
    epcotbob-

You are not the only Minnesotan with this problem. My Fiancé has a 2011 Cruze LTZ that she purchased used in August of 2012 with the same problem. For the last month I have been reading the other threads that people have started here regarding this issue, in hope that I could figure out a solution. Everything that I have tried has not helped so her car is going into the dealer at 7 a.m. tomorrow. There is no sign of an antifreeze leak present.

With her situation you cannot have the “mode” on anything but full defrost or the driver and passenger windows will completely fog up and the windshield will start to fog (the rear door windows always completely fog regardless of what we've tried). A fan speed of less than 5, with full defrost on; will also result in the driver, passenger, and windshield fogging up. It's been tolerable with only a driver in the car and downright miserable with a passenger. I should mention dangerous as well...

Thanks to the information I gathered from the other threads, I tried cracking a window, varying the temp setting, and turning the a/c on. The only thing that seemed to help was cracking a window. It helped reduce the amount of moisture in the driver/passenger windows but that was it. It would not totally clear them or help clear the rear door windows.

Below are some picture that I took for the dealer after a 2 hour drive with full defrost on, the fan speed varied between 5-6, and the temp varied between 74-80. It is always worse at night and on this particular night cracking a window did nothing. It was just my Fiancé and in the car this night. The windows literally had ice on them. The picture of the passenger side window did not turn out because my garage wall is white but it looked the same as the driver side.

The AQS and recirculation buttons have been off. Maybe fresh air is still not able to get in?

I will report back with what the dealer finds.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Airfooter; 01-01-2013 at 11:18 PM.
    Starks8 likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.