That Cursed Shift Light - Page 4

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: That Cursed Shift Light

Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    In Australia this weird gear lock doesn't exist on the Monaro or any manual car regardless of the engine in it. I remember reading a road test of the GTO by an Aussie jurno and he thought there was something wrong with the car the first time he drove one. The auto doesn't do this so why cripple the manual????
    Only in 'Murica with its "light truck loophole" (make a "truck" big enough and we don't care what mileage it gets) CAFE regulations does such a silly design exist. It's for our Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards so we can be "efficient". The shift light is along those same lines, since it is designing to the lowest common denominator. It's assuming that we're busy posting to Facebook on our phones while stuffing a McDeath into our faces and giving the New York/New Jersey state bird to other drivers, so we forget to shift to save fuel. Make sense? It doesn't to me either.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Don't even get me started on the CAFE standards and their uneven application to consumer vehicles. If a vehicle is advertised for sale to the general public, it should fall under the same standard - period.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Off-Road Champion

I'll search around with my tech 2, might be a way to at least adjusted it to come on with some ridiculous parameters (like 100mph in 1 st gear at 500RPM) or just turn it off.
    Nick
    USAF
    www.motorcityforums.com
    2011 Cruze Eco
    1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewvehicle.php?id=9723
    In the recent past:
    2002 Trans Am WS6 346CI of unbridled fury! 469RWH/434RWTQ 11.01 @ 123MPH You will be missed!
    2005 Subaru Legacy GT 309WHP/357RWTQ 12.21 @ 113
    2000 Subaru Impreza RS 203WHP/201WTQ 14.2 @ 103

Epic Beard Man
    Our Jeep Wrangler has one of these annoying shift lights too. The steering wheel/seat height isn't adjustable, but I'm just the right height where the steering wheel blocks the light from normal view. Even with the 4.0L, that thing is such a dog, the light should be the other way around- to remind you to downshift to maintain speed!
    Jon-
    "Be courteous and polite, and if we seem a little crazy, that's because most of us are." -Duke of Oil
    2012 Cruze LTZ EcoRS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012!
    Trifecta, shiny Injen, Forge Atmo BOV, Collins Big 3, Homelink, RS/Turbo/Eco badges, Huskys, Curt hitch, LTZ Grill, Korean sunglasses holder, ZZP pod, & down/mid pipes
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited V10, soon a 7.3 PSD. 2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR.

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
    Our Jeep Wrangler has one of these annoying shift lights too. The steering wheel/seat height isn't adjustable, but I'm just the right height where the steering wheel blocks the light from normal view. Even with the 4.0L, that thing is such a dog, the light should be the other way around- to remind you to downshift to maintain speed!
    I had a girlfriend in high school that had a Cherokee with the 2.5 4 cylinder and a 5 speed. Flat out, foot to the floor in 5th, it would do 65-70, and took about 20 seconds to get there. Hills could be pulled in 4th or 3rd at 55 mph. Made my 98-HP Honda Accord look like a race car. I had a lot of fun in that thing though - usedta take it down to the shore and drive out on the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Epic Beard Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    I had a girlfriend in high school that had a Cherokee with the 2.5 4 cylinder and a 5 speed. Flat out, foot to the floor in 5th, it would do 65-70, and took about 20 seconds to get there. Hills could be pulled in 4th or 3rd at 55 mph. Made my 98-HP Honda Accord look like a race car. I had a lot of fun in that thing though - usedta take it down to the shore and drive out on the beach.
    Geez, just when I thought it couldn't be worse on the highway- that sounds awful! I know the Wrangler was available with that same powerplant standard. The inline 6 will do 70-75, but if you hit any incline, it has to be shifted down to 4th to maintain it. Besides the fuel economy standpoint, it's also screaming doing it, making the already loud ride even louder.

Unfortunately, it's the only manual I've ever really driven and the reason why I steered away from a 6M Cruze. I didn't want to shift all the time just to maintain my speed. But seeing how much pep this thing has with the turbo, I think it wouldn't be a problem to maintain speed on the highway in 6th gear, just like I do now in M6.
    Jon-
    "Be courteous and polite, and if we seem a little crazy, that's because most of us are." -Duke of Oil
    2012 Cruze LTZ EcoRS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012!
    Trifecta, shiny Injen, Forge Atmo BOV, Collins Big 3, Homelink, RS/Turbo/Eco badges, Huskys, Curt hitch, LTZ Grill, Korean sunglasses holder, ZZP pod, & down/mid pipes
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited V10, soon a 7.3 PSD. 2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR.

Resident Tater Salad

Nope! The only hills I have to downshift for are under 55 mph. At 65-75 with a non-Eco transmission, it'll Cruze right along happily up any hill you throw at it.

I used to live in the mountains of VA, and took the Cruze back to my old college stomping grounds. It didn't even flinch at the hills the 2.3L 240 hp Volvo would downshift for. I was impressed. Torque FTW!
    spacedout and Sunline Fan like this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Just got back from my 1st service. The dealer tells me there is no way it can be turned off. I explained that others have had it turned off, but they would not budge.

@jblackburn - Please let me know the dealer that did yours for you. NOVA is close enough and the light's annoying enough to go there to get it done. OTOH it may be a change in the '13, similar to now needing a dealer to enable fog lights.

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by Clump View Post
    Just got back from my 1st service. The dealer tells me there is no way it can be turned off. I explained that others have had it turned off, but they would not budge.

@jblackburn - Please let me know the dealer that did yours for you. NOVA is close enough and the light's annoying enough to go there to get it done. OTOH it may be a change in the '13, similar to now needing a dealer to enable fog lights.
    Pohanka Chevrolet in Chantilly.

I talked to a technician that actually owned a Cruze. That might make all the difference. Wish I remembered his name.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Pohanka Chevrolet in Chantilly.

I talked to a technician that actually owned a Cruze. That might make all the difference. Wish I remembered his name.
    Thanks! I'll give them a call.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.