Engine noise much louder around 2000 rpm

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Engine noise much louder around 2000 rpm

zpe

Engine noise much louder around 2000 rpm

Hi all,

I have a brand new 2013 1LT. Everything is great so far, just one concern.

I'm finding that when I'm accelerating, the noise from the engine is quite a lot louder at 2000 rpm than in any other situation. I guess if I had to describe it, it's a buzzing noise more than an engine noise. I start noticing it at 1500 rpm and it's gone by 2500 rpm. Anything above and below this range sounds very normal.

I'm just wondering if anyone else's Cruze behaves this way? I don't remember noticing this while test driving a different one. If it's normal I won't worry about it too much.

Curious why only that particular range makes so much noise.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    In those RPM ranges I also notice a noise/rumble when you put the engine under load/step on it. Kind of reminds me of a diesel truck sound, I attribute the sound with low end torque. The sound is more of a drone exhaust sound.

I would say its normal but only way to tell is drive another cruze or have the dealer check things out next time you take it in.
    Last edited by spacedout; 01-16-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Lifetime: 10.4 cents per mile @ $3.67 average price over 60K miles

zpe
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedout View Post
    In those RPM ranges I also notice a noise/rumble when you put the engine under load/step on it. Kind of reminds me of a diesel truck sound, I attribute the sound with low end torque. The sound is more of a drone exhaust sound.

I would say its normal but only way to tell is drive another cruze or have the dealer check things out next time you take it in.
    The noise that you have... are you saying you only get it when you're giving it a lot of gas?

I ask because my noise happens regardless of how aggressively I'm accelerating. I could be flooring it or I could be giving it the bare minimum to get the rpm up. If it's in that 1500-2500 rpm range, it's making the noise. Louder the closer to 2000 it is, but the same every time in every situation.

I do for sure plan on asking my dealer to check it out. Just kinda hoping there's a simple explanation in the mean time.

Formula One Champion
    no, I never really floor the gas. it makes that drone sound with even light acceleration at those RPM ranges mentioned.

Lifetime: 10.4 cents per mile @ $3.67 average price over 60K miles

Mine was a little louder when new but now at 4,000 very quite it is.

I noticed this between 1800-2000rpm as well when the car was new.
    It has dissipated throughout the last few thousand kilometres though.

Administrator

These are the engine speeds where the Turbo is spooling up. I wonder if you're hearing the turbo spool up.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by zpe View Post
    The noise that you have... are you saying you only get it when you're giving it a lot of gas?

I ask because my noise happens regardless of how aggressively I'm accelerating. I could be flooring it or I could be giving it the bare minimum to get the rpm up. If it's in that 1500-2500 rpm range, it's making the noise. Louder the closer to 2000 it is, but the same every time in every situation.

I do for sure plan on asking my dealer to check it out. Just kinda hoping there's a simple explanation in the mean time.

zpe,
    I would like you to keep me posted on the progress with your dealer. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

zpe
    Well I finally got my schedule and my dealer's schedule to align and I just got back from my service appointment.

I had someone take a drive with me and they could tell what I was talking about. Said it was a frequency vibration coming up through the dash at the RPM level I was describing.

They are keeping it to work on because they will probably have a hard time telling what exactly is causing it, since you can't reproduce it without driving the car. I'm driving a rental LS (boo! ) for now.
    Last edited by zpe; 01-31-2013 at 05:51 PM.
    jdubb11 likes this.

This noise is not normal at all. I just turned in my 11 auto Echo and the motor and exhaust were nice and quiet. I just picked up at 2013 1LT auto yesterday. I test drove a few other 13 cruzes before selecting the one I now have. The noise around 2000 rpm in 6th gear light throttle is so bad that the the dash resonates and the whole interior is resonating. It is not turbo spool. I have a whole 140 miles on the car. Figures the one I didn't test drive has a problem. The others I drove did not have this issue. I describe it as an exhaust leak/resonance right in the under/middle/front of the car. Like how the old flex pipes would leak back in the day when they started to fail. I am taking it in this afternoon and will keep you guys posted.
    Last edited by David1; 02-01-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    13 Cyber Gray Cruze LT RS Auto

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.