Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

2013 Cruze or 2013 Camry?

35K views 117 replies 38 participants last post by  Toyotech 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I've been researching a new car for a few months. I currently have a 2002 Explorer V8, and it's just burning a hole in my pocket with a 25-mile commute one-way, and it's getting a bit long in the tooth at 210,000 miles. Great car, but I do not like the new Ford Focus, and although I like the Fusion, I don't like the 1.6 and it would cost me around $30,000 to get the 2.0T.

So, after driving the Ford Focus, Fusion, and Escape, Hyundai Elantra and Sonata, 2013 Accord, and 2013 Camry and Cruze, I've narrowed my choices down to the Camry and Cruze. I know they are in a different segment, but they are similarly priced. The 2013 Cruze 1LT automatic with a sunroof and RS package, as well as a few other options comes out to around $23,000, and the Camry SE comes out to around $23,500 (24.5 with a sunroof).

So, based on your ownership experience (any of those of you that have owned a Toyota before?), what would you recommend? I have read about a lot of reliability issues - coolant smell, transmission issues, etc. with the Cruze, but I really like the way it drives. I have also read about transmission concerns with the Camry. So neither is perfect from an internet forum perspective, and I am the first to realize that forums are where people come to vent about car troubles. I just want to make an educated decision here.

See less See more
#96 ·
Well, I've made my decision. It was definitely a tough one. Thanks to everyone here for being a lot more level-headed than the guys on the Toyota forums. You wouldn't believe how arrogant and narrow-minded some of them sounded. There were a few responses like that here, but almost every reply on this same topic there, I got the typical, "your Found-On-Road-Dead Exploder was reliable???" kinda BS from them, along with the preconceptions that any American car is a POS. Guess I'll have to look around for a better forum if I want some kinda help with things.

My first experience with a GM vehicle, particularly the Cruze, has proven that not to be the case. The Cruze is a very good car, and I will definitely recommend it, as well as Cruzetalk, to others.

Truth be told, I would like to have both. The Cruze in a stick shift (drove one just for the heck of it, and I had a blast), and the Toyota in the automatic. But, all that aside, as this is a car that I will likely own 10 years just like the last one, I'm going to go with the Camry. While it's not *as* fun to drive as the Cruze is, I believe that I will not feel like I'm compromising as much on some things that I would like with the Camry and that I feel like I would hate myself/the car later on down the road for. In short, the power and storage space inside the car are two major things for me. The Toyota's transmission also just feels like it knows what it's doing - put your foot down, it takes off immediately. I would also like a car that seems to be the best I can get for reliability, and I believe that would mean sticking with the Toyota that has been around, in some form or another, for a few years. I only wish that the Toyota was as quiet with as good of a ride as the Cruze is out on the highway. The Cruze rides on rough roads like a much more expensive car than it is like my mother's Acura RL.

Once again, thank you all for your help. Happy Cruzing.

#97 ·
I had a feeling you would go for the Camry, just because you seemed to put a decent amount of value on power and space, something the Cruze doesn't quite have a whole lot of. The Camry is no doubt a much bigger car.

I greatly commend you for doing your research on the topic and acknowledging the strengths and weaknesses of both cars. The ride quality of the Cruze is one reason so many of us love it. I hope you have a great experience with your new Camry, and congrats on the purchase!

#98 · (Edited)
Congratulations sir. What color will you be getting?

Personally, I think you made the right decision. I was driving my gf's yesterday and thinking how much I love that it can take off or accelerate quickly into traffic without feeling like it's already giving me everything it's got. It really is a fantastic 4-cylinder. But I agree, the Cruze definitely has better road manners. However, throw the Camry at a few corners - hard - and you might very well be impressed with it. I know I was - especially for something that had the name "Camry" on it. Her old 2002 Camry drove like a land yacht.

#99 ·
Thank you for taking the time to honestly evaluate both. I can understand that car buying decisions can be tough. My wife has a Toyota Solara Convertible that she absolutely loves.

#100 ·
It's nice a level-headed consumer who values other opinions.

Good Luck

#102 ·
I've got over 50k miles on my 2012 Eco w/6MT ... and I've had 2 issues with my car: First, the struts which have an original TSB and a further update after a slight problem was discovered after the initial fix action wasn't quite right. Second problem I encountered was a water pump replacement around 40K+ miles. Other than thoses 2 items, I have had NO issues with my cruze. I did not like the OE tires and got rid of them ASAP, replaced with Michelin MXV4s. Car feels MUCH better on the road now and I feel safe driving in the rain, unlike on the goodyears. I'm actually looking at upgrading to a 2013 Cruze Eco soon!

#103 ·
Not about to read eleven pages of responses, Corolla is the car that competes with the Cruze. Find a Toyotatalk board like this one, to read about all the problems with these things, and go there.

While you are at it, take a trip to Japan to learn how that greedy corporation is outsourcing their work at the cost of the average Japanese worker.

Not to sound racists, that white guy you deal with at your dealer has to answer to a yellow guy that determines the outcome of your warranty repairs. Maybe better in your neck of the woods, sure bad around here.

Toyota is still being sued by our government for not disclosing well known defects, really don't like to deal with a company like that.

#105 ·
That sounded completely racist. Who cares what race is involved in a business transaction? It shouldn't be a factor in today's society.

The deal goes both ways. "American" cars sold over seas all have people of many different colors answering to us over here on the same issues. You can't point the finger at Toyota with a set blinders on towards our own companies here.

#107 ·
Stay away from the Camry, they are so God awfully ugly looking and the simple fact that they're an import should be enough of a turn off. I have a beautiful Cruze with no problems yet and she turns heads! The Camry will turn heads too but only because people want a second look at all the ugly. The guy that said treat it like an economy car is right, the Cruze is not a sports car yet 80% of this forum has them tuned and stats posted for their 0-60 times... She'll treat you right if you treat her right

Reactions: Epickphale
#109 ·
Exactly what everyone else has said here... The one thing you can do with your Cruze that will screw it up is try to drive it like a sports car... took a few tight yellows lately and the transmission is starting to adapt to my aggressive driving making gentler driving shift harsher. Lesson learned there. Drive it like a four door econobox and itl be a great little car. Driven the Camry and the Corolla... nice safe feel. Too safe though. No real FUN I found. Dont read no power because Im sure the stats arent in the Cruze's favour but they just dont feel as fun. Styling is too... generic. I'm kind of biased here as many are (hmm... Cruze owners being biased towards their own cars?! blasphemy!) but I would buy another Cruze in a heartbeat. Also please dont read into my gas numbers posted below... drove like a dink for the majority of my last tank.

#113 ·
I dunno. A 1LT with the technology and convenience packages would be about the same $21,000.

Once you start adding options onto the Cruze (or any other car for that matter), it quickly becomes overpriced. I think the Sport is a good deal at $23k. There is no way the V6 is worth $33k though, or a loaded LTZ is worth $26k. That value tanks easily $5000 as soon as you walk away with the car.

I'm still not sure i like the dash. Too reminiscent of the 08-12 Accords that I despise. I like the interior on my Cruze and the Camry much better. I could get over it for how well it drives though. The auto magazines love it too.

Hmm...maybe in a few years. Still upside down on my Cruze payment anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#114 ·
Haha wow, this thread is still kicking, eh?

For what it's worth, I drove a 2012 V6 SE Camry and bought the car right there after the test drive. I love it, and it still gets 26 mpg so far (32 on a highway trip we took last week). I didn't want the compromise that I felt like I would have been taking by going with a 4-cylinder, and this engine is great!

My wife has the 2013 Accord Sport mentioned above, and she loves it. It's really very fun to drive, but I too like the Camry's interior better.

Now, the good news...for you guys. My brother-in-law was looking for a small car for his commute, and I recommended that he take a look at a Cruze. He's ordering a blue 2LT manual next week! I've recommended your forum to him because it's still the best I've found in this new-car search.

#115 ·
Glad to hear you found the car for you! Even if it isn't a Cruze.

I hope your BIL's new Cruze meets his expectations for it, also!

#116 · (Edited)
IMO Camry's are boring.

Anyone who swears Honda's and Toyota's are perfect and domestics are junk are just closed minded to me.

Domestics were pretty crappy. They were crap for a long time. Imports ate their lunch, dinner and desert all through the late 70's, 80's, 90's and most of the 2000's.

Today, I have to say in a lot of ways some domestics are BETTER than the Jap cars.

Too bad it'll take decades to make up for the reputation the domestic builders have made for them selves over the last few decades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.