2013 Cruze or 2013 Camry? - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: 2013 Cruze or 2013 Camry?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    Depends how you drive. Throwing it around twisty mountain roads, YES, it's fantastic fun. In-town? Not really. It helps keep the wheels planted on the ground over bumps, and helps the rear of the car rotate a little more into corners.
    I can't say I noticed quite that large of a difference between my Eco and the LTZ I drove.

One has to consider when comparing a Cruze with the z-link suspension and one without. To my knowledge, the Eco does not have it, while the 1LT, 2LT, and LTZ do have it. I'm not sure about the LS.

Point being, if you buy an eco, not only do you not have the z-linnk suspension, but you also have the "crap for grip" LRR tires, so you can't really blame the reduction in handling ability solely on the lack of the z-link suspension. In fact, it's impossible to do so unless you put the same wheels and tires on both cars.

I haven't read anything that would indicate that the z-link suspension does more than provide additional stability over bumps.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
    What issues have you had with your Cruze?
    Coolant smell while running the heater on the inside of the car, hazing on the front windshield, fogging up of just about every window in the car, clunky front suspension from one side, random burning smell coming from the engine and this is a brand new 2013 with 1900 miles. The Cruze looks very nice inside and out, but as far as reliability goes, can't say I'm impressed. As we speak my brand new car is the shop getting a new heater core put in. You'll always be better off getting something that has been proven to be reliable, unless you like taking chances. I currently regret my purchase and wish I had gotten my first choice, a 2013 Honda Civic. I'll just run this till the b2b warranty is done, then trade it in.
    Last edited by blackcruzelt; 01-17-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Resident Tater Salad
    That "burning smell" is normal for the first 4000 miles or so. It's the new plastics breaking in, and some exhaust system components have stickers on them that will burn off. Both of the new cars did this for a couple months.
    wallus13, lilmrsyeti and aharnak like this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Touring Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    One has to consider when comparing a Cruze with the z-link suspension and one without. To my knowledge, the Eco does not have it, while the 1LT, 2LT, and LTZ do have it. I'm not sure about the LS.
    I don't know about the LS but all 2011-2012 Cruze 1LT, 2LT, LTZ & ECO automatics get the Z-link. in 2013 GM stopped installing it on the 1LT only way to get it on a 1LT now is with the RS package.

I would assume that means the 2013 LS & ECO automatic also don't get the Z-link.

I live in a hilly area with lots of twisty roads with s-curves one after another in spots. I wanted the Z-link because every little bit helps! Even my 1LT with crappy 16in firestones is very stable in the corners, the back end stays very planted even when throwing the car one way & the other with dips in the road. Definitely does not feel like a typical economy car.
    Last edited by spacedout; 01-17-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    steve333 likes this.

Lifetime: 10.8 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 42K miles

Quote Originally Posted by blackcruzelt View Post
    I'd say get the Camry too, Cruzes seem to have way too many issues with them, especially for a car that's been out for 3 years. I don't think I will ever buy another GM car, going to try my luck with Honda. I hear they can actually build a car right.
    Ex- Honda owner here- 2001 civic EX, 2005 Honda Odyssey let me tell you a few issues I have had:

1. Brand new civic stalling at stop signs/ lights. Techs told me it's because I can't drive a MT (been driving them for 15 yrs. Encountered the stalling issue for a month since I bought the car- made sure it wasn't driver issue). Gave up dealing with the dealers, internet came to my rescue. Had to get a TSB that was missed that fixed my issue. Dealer still charged me for the flash, only waived the diagnostic fee- he said it was because of Honda (I've got a good relationship w/ the service manager there)

2. Few years later my headlights went out while I was on the road at night- It was scary trying to make back the last 5 miles on unlit roads in the middle of the night. Turns out the dealers were notified a recall was issued the prior night for this. Never got anything in the mail. Honda refused to replace the cost of my bulbs.

3. Recalls for airbags on both vehicles. Handled well.

4. Van has a squealing at low speed from the rear axle/ brakes (I can't isolate the source). Honda- trained techs say they cannot replicate the issue.

^ these are the big ones I remember. It seems to me Honda & Toyota owners are fanboys/ tend to forget their issues & not talk about them, makes it sound like they have no issues. Also Factory support is unheard of. You will be ignored by Honda/ Toyota unless you retain a lawyer ...

The digital gauge civics I don't like, my friends say they are OK. The fit is a blast, though under- powered.
    aharnak likes this.
    2013 Cyber Gray/ black 2LT 6M RS. stage 0 tune for 91 octane- vtuner

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
    Wow, thanks for the detailed response JBlackburn!

A nice, reliable car. The Explorer has been very reliable, but only gets 14-18 mpg. I don't care which gets better fuel economy - anything's better than that.

I want an AT as I drive in-town a lot, and I want a sunroof. Eco is out. Don't really want leather - gets too hot in the summer.
    The camry is certainly more spacious, especially the rear seats. And Camry reliability will likely be better than the cruzes. It would probably suit you better. For sure, test drive both with a friend, so you can evaluate being a passenger as well (rear seat comfort/ temperature etc ...) before you decide
    2013 Cyber Gray/ black 2LT 6M RS. stage 0 tune for 91 octane- vtuner

Handbrake Released
    Chevrolet Cruze Reliability vs. Toyota Camry Reliability

According to this, the Camry is well above average in reliability, while the Cruze is average.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmrsyeti View Post

One thing you have to think about though..are you planning on Trading this car in down the road for a newer one,or keeping it for years to come? I'm not positive on this, but I believe the Camry holds it's Value better than the Cruze. Of course once the Cruze is around longer, that may not be the case.
    The 2011 Cruzes are not doing well in the value holding department, except the eco. However, The 2012 cruzes are best in class over the civic, corolla and focus. the Corolla is a somewhat close second. I am sure the 2013s, which is what he is looking at, will carry on this trend
    2012 Cruze LS <Totaled
    2012 Cruze Eco < Totaled

I'm here for moral support

The Gearheads Guild

Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    That "burning smell" is normal for the first 4000 miles or so. It's the new plastics breaking in, and some exhaust system components have stickers on them that will burn off. Both of the new cars did this for a couple months.
    Ditto, both of my cruzes did this until the 200-2500 mile mark. Then it just went away.
    2012 Cruze LS <Totaled
    2012 Cruze Eco < Totaled

I'm here for moral support

The Gearheads Guild

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    Chevrolet Cruze Reliability vs. Toyota Camry Reliability

According to this, the Camry is well above average in reliability, while the Cruze is average.
    Online publications for late model vehicles with reference to reliability are useless, for a few reasons.

1. They are new cars. Predicting reliability based on historical trends is a joke. Honda and Toyota's decline in recent years, but it seems people think they were the same as they were in the late 90s. Not so much.
    2. The Cruze is a new model and the reliability of it is based on the 2011 year, which had a significantly higher likelihood of problems than the 2012 year, which had many problems resolved before the car ever got to the dealer. The same can be said comparing the 2012 and the 2013 model years. If you are looking for a new car today, comparing the historical reliability of even the Cruze in light of these facts is a futile attempt.

A 2013 Cruze is going to be more reliable than a 2012 Cruze, which is going to be more reliable than a 2011 Cruze. I'm saying this as a general statement with regard to the total ownership of these vehicles and likelihood of problems being encountered. Any comparison publications will fail to address this.
    wallus13 and aharnak like this.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands. One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast