A/C Condenser Replacement Questions
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: A/C Condenser Replacement Questions

A/C Condenser Replacement Questions

So I'm considering replacing the damaged a/c condenser in my 2011 Cruze 1.4T instead of paying the dealer $700 to do it. I am mechanically inclined and have been working on cars for a long time but have not replaced a condenser before. Can anyone offer some insight into this repair or has anyone performed this repair on their own vehicle? Any help would be greatly appreciated! The car is still under warranty but as gm doesn't cover this repair I don't see any issues with doing it on my own.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT - Silver w/ Cocoa & Neutral Interior

Current Mods:
    Trifecta Performance Tune, K&N SRI, EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads, Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna, Window Tint (15% Front / 5% Rear), Custom Mounted Ultra-Gauge, Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs, OEM Fog Light Kit, Pioneer 12" Sub

Future Mods: 18" MSR 095 Wheels, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Resident Tater Salad
    I'm assuming the system has probably already evacuated itself.

The condensor is at the front; the radiator and intercooler are sandwiched together behind it. All 3 will need to come out, and it looks like on the Cruze, they will drop out the bottom rather than coming up through the hood.

Replace the receiver/dryer in the system as well. Then you need to pull a vacuum on the system and have it refilled (this part is probably best done by a shop - these variable displacement systems are somewhat tricky to fill).

Make sure they drain the compressor and replace the correct PAG oil into the system or it will burn up.
    Toyotech likes this.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Handbrake Released
    You may want to contact GM..seems several people on here had theirs damaged by rocks...still under warranty and they had theirs replaced by dealership under warranty. Others said they filed an insurance claim and just had to pay their deductible.

3rd Gear
    How can this not be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty?

Not sure, I contacted GM and they're giving me the run around saying its not their problem but I'm fighting them on it.

Current Mods:
    Trifecta Performance Tune, K&N SRI, EBC Ultimax Slotted Rotors w/ Hawk HPS Pads, Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna, Window Tint (15% Front / 5% Rear), Custom Mounted Ultra-Gauge, Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs, OEM Fog Light Kit, Pioneer 12" Sub

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    How can this not be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty?
    The claim to get it out from under the warranty is that the warranty doesn't cover damage from collision. The issue here is GM changed the design of the Cruze to prevent just this damaage. It should be under warranty since there was a vehicle redesign to prevent this particular problem.
    steve333, lilmrsyeti and jdubb11 like this.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

4th Gear
    I talked to service writer at my dealer about this and he told me a couple of times GM has replaced condensers under warranty. I don't know the process or why they were approved while others were not. The basic argument should be that GM knows they messed up and that they install condenser shields in some Cruze models, therefore they should have known better.

I bought the $17 shield out of my pocket and had them put it on when they did the belly pan recall. They didn't charge me for the labor.

Spoke to GM today, they agreed to cover the repair as an "act of good will" which I know they did for another member here on the forum as well, this must be the non-committal way of saying "we know about the problem but don't want to admit it or it'll cost us even more money" lol either way happy they're going to cover the repair, it goes in tomorrow morning to get fixed.

steve333 likes this.

Current Mods:

Driver's Ed
    Still under warranty and they had theirs replaced by dealership under warranty. Others said they filed an insurance claim and just had to pay their deductible.

Resident Forum Drunkard
    Not another one no .
    Enduring ,Veteran Retired . Over 90 Jumps ..when you get to stop counting .

Knuckle Buster . There is a 70% chance that you wil have to breath Dex-Cool !!!!!!!

Rocket Science .

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast