How to turn off the touch-screen display

  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

    Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to turn off the touch-screen display

  1. #1
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11

    How to turn off the touch-screen display

    We recently purchased a 2012 Chevy Cruze.
    When the radio is turned off, the 7″ diagonal touch-screen display stays lit up with the Chevy bowtie.
    I would like to have this "giant night light" turned off when not in use, that is, when we are driving, but choose not to listen to the radio.
    Can someone kindly advise me how to do this?
    By the way, we love this car!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    5,008
    Welcome to the forum.

    Being that we aren't able to turn off our night lights (info display) I'm sure the quick answer is no. The good thing about an actual screen is that with software change you should be able to change that logo to anything you want, including a black screen, or off. Should is the key word there. Talk to your dealer to see if they can. I'm actually surprised it would turn off automatically like every car I've driven with a screen while not in use.

    Keep your thread posted with your findings.
    ^Usually sarcasm.

    If anything I say offends you... you might need a snickers.

  4. #3
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Welcome to the forum.
    TY. This looks like a very active forum... lots of participation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Being that we aren't able to turn off our night lights (info display) I'm sure the quick answer is no. The good thing about an actual screen is that with software change you should be able to change that logo to anything you want, including a black screen, or off. Should is the key word there.
    So are you saying you own a Cruze and can't turn off your bowtie display when the radio is off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Talk to your dealer to see if they can.
    Yes, talk to the dealer. Pretty much the alternative everyone has, but thought I'd consult with forum members first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I'm actually surprised it would turn off automatically like every car I've driven with a screen while not in use.
    You lost me with this. You're surprised it (screen) would turn off like every car you've driven has turned off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Keep your thread posted with your findings.
    Promise.

  5. #4
    Epic Beard Man
    Sunline Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northville, MI
    Posts
    4,652
    That would be annoying if you couldn't turn it off. Exactly why I went with a 2012. My mom's MKX has a button where the display can be minimized (still shows clock and current song playing but otherwise darker), or completely off. It sure is nice to be able to turn that completely off at night.

    I guess if all else fails, you could find the fuse for it and tap a switch in.
    Jon-
    "Be courteous and polite, and if we seem a little crazy, that's because most of us are." -Duke of Oil
    2012 Cruze LTZ EcoRS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012!
    Trifecta, shiny Injen, Forge Atmo BOV, Collins Big 3, Homelink, RS/Turbo/Eco badges, Huskys, Curt hitch, LTZ Grill, Korean sunglasses holder, ZZP pod, & down/mid pipes
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited V10, soon a 7.3 PSD. 2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR.



  6. #5
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
    That would be annoying if you couldn't turn it off. Exactly why I went with a 2012.
    That's what I own... a 2012. Does the display turn off when the radio is not on in your 2012?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
    My mom's MKX has a button where the display can be minimized (still shows clock and current song playing but otherwise darker), or completely off. It sure is nice to be able to turn that completely off at night.
    Sorry, what's a MKX?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
    I guess if all else fails, you could find the fuse for it and tap a switch in.
    Probably a cut above the piece of cardboard I was thinking of using to cover the display!

  7. #6
    Epic Beard Man
    Sunline Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northville, MI
    Posts
    4,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Screeno View Post
    That's what I own... a 2012. Does the display turn off when the radio is not on in your 2012?
    Sorry, what's a MKX?
    Probably a cut above the piece of cardboard I was thinking of using to cover the display!
    Oops, I missed that. The 2013's MyLink screen is much bigger/brighter.

    I haven't found a way to shut off the screen, but I haven't tried either. I have turned down the dash brightness though which made it easier to look at. It does seem much brighter than the other dash lights.

    Lincoln MKX: Lincoln MKX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jon-
    "Be courteous and polite, and if we seem a little crazy, that's because most of us are." -Duke of Oil
    2012 Cruze LTZ EcoRS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012!
    Trifecta, shiny Injen, Forge Atmo BOV, Collins Big 3, Homelink, RS/Turbo/Eco badges, Huskys, Curt hitch, LTZ Grill, Korean sunglasses holder, ZZP pod, & down/mid pipes
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited V10, soon a 7.3 PSD. 2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR.



  8. #7
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11
    Well, if anybody knows how to turn off the bowtie display that remains lit up AFTER turning off the touchscreen (Infotainment Display Screen), PLEASE advise.
    The way I see it, it's the equivalent of a big, blue, unwanted night light.
    I'll probably be getting in touch with the local dealer soon if no one steps up with a solution.
    Last edited by Screeno; 01-26-2013 at 12:12 AM.

  9. #8
    1st Gear 20131pz69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    CA Bay Area
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by Screeno View Post
    Well, if anybody knows how to turn off the bowtie display that remains lit up AFTER turning off the touchscreen (Infotainment Display Screen), PLEASE advise.
    The way I see it, it's the equivalent of a big, blue, unwanted night light.
    I'll probably be getting in touch with the local dealer soon if no one steps up with a solution.
    What you can do is turn the display off, with the volume at the lowest setting. There's an option to do that. If you can't get that info from the manual, I can post the steps tomorrow ...
    2013 Cyber Gray/ black 2LT 6M RS. stage 0 tune for 91 octane- vtuner

  10. #9
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by 20131pz69 View Post
    What you can do is turn the display off, with the volume at the lowest setting. There's an option to do that. If you can't get that info from the manual, I can post the steps tomorrow ...
    Posting the steps for us would be most appreciated!
    We have (and continue to) RTFM, but the answer is elusive.
    TY

  11. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    5,008
    I don't have an infotainment, just the boring info display that most have showing the time and temperature while radio is off. When it's on, it is really bright. The brightness dial doesn't do anything for the this display or even the cluster, just the stereo buttons. Would be nice to dim or shut off entirely.
    ^Usually sarcasm.

    If anything I say offends you... you might need a snickers.

  12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Similar Threads

  1. Add 7" factory touch screen
    By Lunchbucket in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 08:12 PM
  2. screen protector for mylink screen
    By 20131pz69 in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-11-2013, 05:40 AM
  3. Configure the turn-by-turn directions to avoid toll roads
    By titan2782 in forum Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2012, 12:55 PM
  4. No power on screen display
    By azagakofi in forum Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 02:52 PM
  5. Touch Screen Navigation, DVD, Stereo OEM
    By Averick5278 in forum Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 07:24 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2