Very Dissatisfied with OnStar!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Very Dissatisfied with OnStar!

Very Dissatisfied with OnStar!

Like the title states one of the reasons that I purchased my Cruze over some of the competitors was that I could use OnStar to start my car and keep track of maintenance. Well I am able to keep up with fuel and oil life but the most important part of starting my car on these cold Ohio winter days has severely let me down. It seems on days that I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to work it doesn't. I have called them and they just say yeah, OK, we are working on it, Its a known problem, blah blah blah..I have talked to them 3 times with the same response. Why would I pay $200 a year for a service that works 50% of the time?

I purchased the car 3 months ago and I must say that it only works seriously half of the time I try and use it... It really seems like it doesn't work on days like today when we have 6 to 8 inches of snow or when its 2°F outside.

Usually I get a can not authenticate, or do not recognize the vehicle..

Today I got this message...

Am I the only one that has had this issue with remote start...

The other problem I have had is I had a trip coming up the next morning and I called late one night to get directions sent to my car because of course I couldn't do it myself with my phone. The person that answered was so rude and unfriendly I was actually offended. He gave me a quick OK, found the location, I'll send it , Click.... (Wow, how nice of you thanks)
    I am less then impressed with one of the top selling factors of my vehicle not working!
    Cheers,

Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Aesop
    Was getting emails telling me the same thing my DIC was telling me. My major problem is their satellite is at 22* above the horizon. Driving on tree line roads in Wisconsin, no signal, same with XM. Also would kill with any buildings, this is strictly line of sight communications.

I just let it expire, still get letters and emails from them, can't even recall the latest offer, but was far less than $200.00.

GPS works great, so does my cell phone in most areas, but not deep out in the woods. Newest insurance policy was unlimited towing for four bucks a year on each of my vehicles. Will call them if I have to, also 24/7.
    64cardinals likes this.

World Rally Champion
    Can't you just use the built in remote start with the key fob? seems like a better alternative.

I have used onstar for directions in the past(not int he cruze) but prefer a dedicated GPS. The factory installed unit has been getting cheaper every model year(was almost $2,000 in 2011, $995 2012, now 2013 $795). at $795 you still need to buy map updates every few years for $150 if you want current streets & businesses.

I bought a Garmin 50LM with a weighted beanbag mount for $160. All Garmin models with LM stands for lifetime maps, so for the life of the GPS you pay nothing for map updates. I have it mounted in the upper glove box(center of dash). I even ran a wire through the dash to this point so no power wires showing.

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.69 average price over 59K miles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aftica View Post
    Like the title states one of the reasons that I purchased my Cruze over some of the competitors was that I could use OnStar to start my car and keep track of maintenance. Well I am able to keep up with fuel and oil life but the most important part of starting my car on these cold Ohio winter days has severely let me down. It seems on days that I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to work it doesn't. I have called them and they just say yeah, OK, we are working on it, Its a known problem, blah blah blah..I have talked to them 3 times with the same response. Why would I pay $200 a year for a service that works 50% of the time?

I purchased the car 3 months ago and I must say that it only works seriously half of the time I try and use it... It really seems like it doesn't work on days like today when we have 6 to 8 inches of snow or when its 2°F outside.

The other problem I have had is I had a trip coming up the next morning and I called late one night to get directions sent to my car because of course I couldn't do it myself with my phone. The person that answered was so rude and unfriendly I was actually offended. He gave me a quick OK, found the location, I'll send it , Click.... (Wow, how nice of you thanks)
    I am less then impressed with one of the top selling factors of my vehicle not working!

I got that message near the end of January when my Cruze was at the dealer where the engineer was checking my transmission. I wanted to check the mileage again to see if they had driven the car more than the 13 miles from when I first dropped it off. I called OnStar and they told me that because they have so many users, they have to upgrade their systems. So far, mine has been working with the new car.

Quote Originally Posted by spacedout View Post
    Can't you just use the built in remote start with the key fob? seems like a better alternative.
    The issue I have with the key fob is where my office is to where I park I can not see the car (hence can't start it)
    When it works its an 8 min walk to my car and vola its ready to go!
    Cheers,

Jason

zpe
    My car is only a month old, but for what it's worth:
    There was a day in January (one of the coldest of course) where I got the same message. It fixed itself the next day. That's the only time I've had it flat out refuse to work.
    I would say more often than not I have to try more than once to get a command to go through... but it does eventually go through.
    Last edited by zpe; 02-04-2013 at 08:03 PM.
    2013 Cruze 1LT Auto, Cyber Grey Metallic

Learning about my Cruze OnStar Advisor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aftica View Post

Hi Jason,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. I would be happy to look into the RemoteLink app and see what I can do to further assist. I would also like to investigate that interaction with the advisor, because rude customer service is not typical or up to our standards.

Can you please send me a PM with your account information and the dates of that mentioned call? I hope to hear from you soon.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

Banned
    Speaking of OnStar, here's a NEW problem! If you have a subscription to Directions and Connections and you trade in that car while the subscription is still ACTIVE, you CANNOT just roll over any remaining time to your new car! Supposedly, this practice came into being LAST February 2012!

I just found this out last Thursday when I was driving my new 2013 Buick Verano Turbo home from the dealer in RI to my home in CT! I pushed the OnStar button to activate the Buick account and transfer my Directions and Connections from my 2011 Chevy Cruze. I have done this MANY times before with all my other GM cars with NO problem! Activating the Buick OnStar was NO problem. The problem came when she transferred me to another department to transfer the remaining time from the Cruze to the Verano which expires in December 2014! About 45 minutes to an hour talking to them ended with NO solution to the problem!

Last Friday, I got out all my paperwork from Chevrolet with my FREE 2 years of Directions and Connections that they gave me as a "consolation" for the trouble with my Cruze transmission. I called the number on the letter and explained the problem to the advisor at GM customer service. I explained EVERYTHING to him. He told me that HE would contact OnStar and get to the right supervisor/department to get this straightened out! He said he would call me Monday. I THANKED him profusely because I had NO MORE patience left dealing with them! It's like they read from a SCRIPT and just REPEAT the SAME thing over and over and over!

So, yesterday comes and my phone rings while I am in Lowe's. The lady says she is calling me for the person I spoke to on Friday from GM customer service. She was going to transfer me to OnStar! I PLEADED with her not to because I already went that route! She did transfer me to ANOTHER script reading OnStar person and it was EXACTLY like I was right back to the SAME place that I was last Thursday when I first called them! WHAT I did NOT know is that the GM customer service rep was STILL on the call! THANK GOD because SHE got to see EXACTLY what I was talking about! I had to leave Lowe's and go to my car in the parking lot! For ONE HOUR and TEN MINUTES this three way call went round and round in circles! I told the GM lady it was like Congress and the Senate trying to resolve a problem with the end result of NOTHING happening! The OnStar lady was talking in circles and REPEATING the same thing to the GM lady! I WISH I had a tape recorder because NO ONE would believe the conversation! I believe the GM lady AND OnStar BOTH record the conversation! Boy, would that make a GREAT training tape! I DON'T think the upper echelon at either company would approve of the nonsense that went on with that call!

Finally, it ended with the OnStar lady FINALLY putting on a supervisor who was NO better than she was! He repeated the SAME thing that the OnStar lady had already told the GM lady about 10 times! It's like they do NOT understand ENGLISH! The OnStar supervisor said that the "back office" was the one to deal with this situation, but of course, you can't talk to them! He said he would "escalate" this problem and get back to me in about 48 hours! I can't wait! The GM lady said she would touch base with me on Thursday also. What a PROJECT for something that SHOULD have taken MINUTES to do! Stay tuned!

Learning about my Cruze OnStar Advisor's Avatar
    fastdriver,

I am very sorry to hear about this. I would like to investigate this and see what I can do to better assist you. This type of service is not up to our standards and I want to make sure your case is handled properly. Can you please send me a PM with your account information so I can review your account? I hope to hear from you soon.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

No problems with OnStar here. My app is on an iPhone, not android. Dont know if that makes a difference.
    Going out for a CRUZE

Accelerating to 6th gear!

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.