P1101 cel
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P1101 cel

Learning about my Cruze woody13eco's Avatar

P1101 cel

Car threw the CEL today and according to my OBD2 scanner it is

P1101 Actual measured airflow from MAF, MAP, EGR, and TP is not within range of the calculated airflow, Sensors
    I put a K&N on it last Saturday and this is the first it has showed up. I'm assuming the K&N has to be the cause. Here's the thing...I'd like to buy a tune, and I'm sure that would get rid of the code. But since I have 59 months and 99k left on the warranty and I don't want to void it. haha
    2013 Eco 1.4T 6spd - The wife's car
    80 Camaro 383 6spd, 91 Beretta 3.4L 5spd, 94 Z71 357 5spd - My cars

http://www.motortopia.com/woody2136
    http://www.gearheaddezign.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

World Rally Champion
    did you unhook the battery cable when you changed the air filter?

Lifetime: 10.6 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 53K miles

Learning about my Cruze woody13eco's Avatar
    No. The wife has her phone synced via bluetooth. Will it lose anything?
    2013 Eco 1.4T 6spd - The wife's car
    80 Camaro 383 6spd, 91 Beretta 3.4L 5spd, 94 Z71 357 5spd - My cars

http://www.motortopia.com/woody2136
    http://www.gearheaddezign.com/

World Rally Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by woody13eco View Post
    No. The wife has her phone synced via bluetooth. Will it lose anything?
    I have no idea about that, I just mentioned it because even just bypassing the intake resonator can set off the CEL.

I did not unhook battery with intake resonator bypass & when I started my car the engine cooling fan was running at full speed on a fully 24hr cooled engine. Decided to put resonator piece back in & when I started it I got a CEL(don't remember the code). I am assuming this actually validates the mod since just like a CAI changes air flow enough to need a battery reset so does any other intake/filter change that will increase flow.

Lifetime: 10.6 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 53K miles

Handbrake Released phantomknight321's Avatar
    I never saw this when i did my resonator delete, nor after my k&n drop in i did a while later. At some point i did have the battery disconnected to install my amp and subs however...
    Past: 2012 Cruze LT Auto

Current: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo

4th Gear
    I didn't have this problem either. And just an FYI, a CAI/SRI will not void your warranty.

Aesop
    You are not going to like my response, so stop here and don't read it.

A MAF sensor is a very sensitive device, consists of two very fine nichrome wires, on buried for a reference, the other exposed to the aiir flow where its velocity affects the resistance of the expose wire. Compared to the reference where the resistance of the exposed wire decreases very slightly somewhat proportional to air velocity. Applied to a differential amplifier and corrected by firmware in the PCM.

Just the slightest amount of oil on that exposed wire can screw it up for lack of a better word. Thousands have had problems with these air filters that are oil based. In our GM dynamometer room little or no gain was gained with these filters, just more noise, but the engineers have to comply with noise limits factors.

Airflow characteristics start from the air intake and end up at the exhaust pipe where very strict compliance with EPA regulations have to be met and complied with. The stock air filter has to be over designed to compensate for debris build up, generally a safety factor of twice the airflow requirements. Plus meet noise requirements.

Want to solve your problem, with a very delicate touch and some denatured alcohol, clean that exposed nichrome wire, and return to your stock air filter. Will also be a couple of hundred bucks richer.

Told you, you wouldn't like this response. And if you really think hard on this subject, just messing around with the air filter and not dealing with the rest of the air flow system is kind of dumb. The guys that design these air flow systems are not idiots that others like to call them that.

Off-Road Champion
    It is not uncommon for K&N dropins to be excessively oiled out of the box. Best rule of thumb is to wash the new one and VERY LIGHTLY reoil it before initial installation. The last one I bought had excess oil in the filter when I pulled it out of the box. I know this sounds like extra work (and too late for you), but it's the only way to prevent oil getting on the MAF sensor. I believe there is a MAF cleaner spray available to try to clean a dirty MAF. I've use K&N dropins for many, many years on several different cars with no MAF issues. Since I keep my cars for a decade or more, the washable filters end up being cheaper, and they do increase mileage a wee bit. Some people say they let more dirt into the engine, but I've never had any problems with engines that I've used K&Ns on. Even replaceable paper filters have different airflow characteristics, and the washable ones are no different. There are entire threads on Bobistheoilguy.com about these things if you want more information.
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 02-10-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    13,900 Mi., Avg. MPG: 34 City; 45 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    22 months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

I'm not apathetic, I'm just too old to matter anymore.
    41,468 August '14 YTD

Retired Moderator

Agreed, clean the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner (really quick-drying electronics cleaner in a different can) and check the connector to the MAF. It's possible it was not re-installed just so.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Aesop
    K7N could develop a MAF sensor that is immune to their oil, or better yet, redesign the entire air flow system from intake to exhaust. Not just fool with the air cleaner.

88 Supra came from the factory with a washable air fiilter, still in great shape after 25 years.

Brief history on air filters? Weren't even used in automotive until the mid 30's and clear through the 50's with the oil bath type, those were miserable to clean, then finally paper filters were introduced.

Real culprit was that breather tube sucking in road dust into the internal engine, especially when you took your foot off the gas that creates a vacuum. That wasn't cured until the early 60's with the PCV system. Before that when overhauling an engine, had to start off with an endloader to get rid of all that sludge.

Also back then, a heck of a lot more dusty roads, in particular in rural areas.

Just checked the air filter in my Cruze after driving it over half way around the earth. Could still see bright light coming through it, just a little dusty on top, blew that off with an air hose and stuck it back in.

A better question is, do we really need an air filter?

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast