rear bumper sensors
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Thread: rear bumper sensors

rear bumper sensors

Today I was struggling to remove a stubborn piece of frozen snow between the rear tire and fender well. It took a few good kicks to remove the ice. Now I have a problem where as soon as I throw it in reverse I'm just hearing constant beeping but there is nothing behind the car. It's as if the bumper sensors think there is something close by. Anyone ever have this problem? Could my kicking the fender well cause the sensors to act up?
    Crystal Red Metallic Tintcoat 11' Cruze LTZ 1.4T Automatic
    K&N SRI
    Magnaflow dual exhaust
    Vermont Tuned

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

It's possible that a piece of ice knocked a connector askew.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

i am not 100% sure about this, but it could salt spray covering the senors blocking any light from getting emiited so they think they are ontop of something. as far as i can tell when i tooke a truck apart looking for a sound all wires from the back are in the lining of the trunk space.... clean your senors with some washer fluid and see if any look out of place beofre trying to find a bad connectors
    Love Cruzin'

free/ completed mods: Paint some parts in engine bay, Resonator delete removed, LED bow tie Glow Shift Boost Gauge.

Future mod: K&N SRI, tinted windows, projectors halo headlights , Tower Struts, interior LED, lowering (coil overs), Rear Sway bar(unsure), front sway rods.

modifying is addicting

2012 chevy Cruze 1.4T 1LT : in love with this car, Penny is her name
    2003 chevy Malibu : Emma was her name, she was a great car, never let me down

Salt spray has never affected my sensors, but ice/snow will. The worst is when I wash it and it's below freezing out, a thin coating of water will still surround the sensor and it'll go solid until it melts (which getting home to the garage does the trick for me).

I'm not sure what the fault process is for Cruze sensors- I know on the Excursion, if a sensor is broken or the speaker has gone bad, the light in the sensor shut-off switch will come on solid all the time and the system won't work at all. Since yours is on solid though, I'm going to guess something is on the sensors.

I suppose you could have knocked the sensor out of the mount on the back side. Hopefully one of the dealer techs on here will join in on how these are held on. Hopefully it didn't break.
    Jon-
    "You say the strangest things" -jblackburn
    2012 Cruze LTZ RS 1.4L 6A, Autumn Metallic with Cocoa/Light Neutral, Built 2/23/2012 at Lordstown 19078!
    Trifecta, shiny Injen, Forge Atmo BOV, Collins Big 3, Homelink, RS/Turbo badges, Husky Liners, Curt hitch, LTZ Grill, Korean sunglasses holder, ZZP gauge pod
    2005 Ford Excursion Limited V10, soon to be 7.3 PSD. 2007 Sunline Solaris T-286SR.
    Pure Michigan Cruzers

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by kfr291 View Post
    i am not 100% sure about this, but it could salt spray covering the senors blocking any light from getting emiited so they think they are ontop of something.
    Uhh....the sensors work using ultrasonics, not light.
    2013 Cruze 1LT w/ RS, All Star, Enhanced Safety, Convenience, Technology packages. Dealer added Chrome body side molding.

sorry, should have done more research into it. i was using the concept that a ice covered/ salt covered sensor may prevent the signal from going out... if it is ultra sonic do the the senors on the back emit as well as receive the ultral sonic sound wave?
    Love Cruzin'

free/ completed mods: Paint some parts in engine bay, Resonator delete removed, LED bow tie Glow Shift Boost Gauge.

Future mod: K&N SRI, tinted windows, projectors halo headlights , Tower Struts, interior LED, lowering (coil overs), Rear Sway bar(unsure), front sway rods.

modifying is addicting

2012 chevy Cruze 1.4T 1LT : in love with this car, Penny is her name
    2003 chevy Malibu : Emma was her name, she was a great car, never let me down

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzer1026 View Post
    Today I was struggling to remove a stubborn piece of frozen snow between the rear tire and fender well. It took a few good kicks to remove the ice. Now I have a problem where as soon as I throw it in reverse I'm just hearing constant beeping but there is nothing behind the car. It's as if the bumper sensors think there is something close by. Anyone ever have this problem? Could my kicking the fender well cause the sensors to act up?

cruzer1026,
    I would recommend that you have your dealer look into this for you. I would also like you to keep me posted on this. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by kfr291 View Post
    sorry, should have done more research into it. i was using the concept that a ice covered/ salt covered sensor may prevent the signal from going out... if it is ultra sonic do the the senors on the back emit as well as receive the ultral sonic sound wave?
    The manual says to keep the sensors clear of debris because, yes, the ultrasonics will be adversely affected by obstructions.

10. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements