locking gas cap

  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

    Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: locking gas cap

  1. #1
    2nd Gear jsusanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    468

    locking gas cap

    does the cruze have a locking gas cap?

    I don't live in a bad area and gas stealing isn't a popular crime but these days people can be ignorant just for the sake of being ignorant but can the gas be stolen out of the vehicle.
    and my second concern is someone being cute and putting something in the gas tank that would cost a lot of money to fix.

    does on star monitor it so you know when the gas cap was opened etc?

    call me paranoid or whatever but it just seems inviting.

    thanks in advance

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    3rd Gear TSURacing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    558
    You're paranoid!

    No the Cruze does not have a locking gas cap from the factory.
    No, OnStar does not monitor when the cap is removed, but it can tell you if it is not seated properly and your CEL comes on.
    There is an anti-siphon mechanism in the filler neck that makes it really really hard to steal the gas from the filler opening. Its easier to puncture the gas tank and steal it that way .

  4. #3
    2nd Gear jsusanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by TSURacing View Post
    You're paranoid!

    No the Cruze does not have a locking gas cap from the factory.
    No, OnStar does not monitor when the cap is removed, but it can tell you if it is not seated properly and your CEL comes on.
    There is an anti-siphon mechanism in the filler neck that makes it really really hard to steal the gas from the filler opening. Its easier to puncture the gas tank and steal it that way .

    thanks tsuracing - currently driving a 1996 honda civic ex and I guess if someone wanted gas out of that they would just do like you say drill a hole in the gas tank. it has a locking door from the inside but I guess if I think about it they could probably bust open the door to the gas cap too.

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    So. CT
    Posts
    1,123
    Quote Originally Posted by jsusanka View Post
    does the cruze have a locking gas cap?

    I don't live in a bad area and gas stealing isn't a popular crime but these days people can be ignorant just for the sake of being ignorant but can the gas be stolen out of the vehicle.
    and my second concern is someone being cute and putting something in the gas tank that would cost a lot of money to fix.

    does on star monitor it so you know when the gas cap was opened etc?

    call me paranoid or whatever but it just seems inviting.

    thanks in advance
    NO locking gas cap! I don't understand it myself. My 2004 Chevy Aveo has one, but my former Malibu and now Cruze don't! I understand it's not a GREAT deterrent, but I think it would help in this day and age with the price of gas changing by the minute! I've read that gas can't be siphoned from the newer cars, but who knows. Others say that if someone wants you gas bad enough they can just puncture your gas tank! I guess everything has it's pros and cons.

    I don't think OnStar monitors that. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure that OnStar is all that knowing. This past September, with 16,016 miles on my 2008 Malibu, the car suddenly seemed to have NO power. I would step on the gas and all I heard was clattering from the engine. I immediately went to the dealer. At first they thought it was the transmission, but I didn't think so. When they put it on the lift and had someone step on the gas, they decided that I better leave it. Seventeen days later I picked up the car with a brand new engine and five months later, with about 17,300 miles on the car, it was turned in for the Cruze. NO OnStar warning OR warning lights. SO, I don't have any hope that OnStar would be monitoring something other than a loose gas cap!

  6. #5
    Handbrake Released
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    windsor, on
    Posts
    193
    there should be a baffle in the filler tube of the gas tank, that would stop thieves from siphoning fuel from the gas tank.

  7. #6
    Learning about my Cruze
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    50
    In Australia, the gas cap itself doesn't lock... however the door locks when you lock the car. pretty pointless though. door? screwdriver? only deters people.
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 04-02-2011 at 08:34 PM.

  8. #7
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    47
    Any idea where I can get a locking gas cap for my 2012 Cruze Eco? Stant doesn't have it yet. Thanks!

  9. #8
    Lyrical Wordsmith iKermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    6,201
    Your local auto parts place may have one. My dad had one in his old Corrola. True story.
    -Danny




  10. #9
    Administrator

    obermd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    14,550
    Most gas thieves simply drill a small hole in the tank and drain the gas that way. Safer and more efficient than siphoning. Fortunately the Cruze sits low enough that it's hard to get to the tank. SUVs tend to be bigger targets, both from ease of access and total amount of fuel available.

    2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

  11. #10
    Off-Road Champion Patman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    2,704
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdriver View Post
    NO locking gas cap! I don't understand it myself. My 2004 Chevy Aveo has one, but my former Malibu and now Cruze don't! I understand it's not a GREAT deterrent, but I think it would help in this day and age with the price of gas changing by the minute! I've read that gas can't be siphoned from the newer cars, but who knows. Others say that if someone wants you gas bad enough they can just puncture your gas tank! I guess everything has it's pros and cons.

    I don't think OnStar monitors that. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure that OnStar is all that knowing. This past September, with 16,016 miles on my 2008 Malibu, the car suddenly seemed to have NO power. I would step on the gas and all I heard was clattering from the engine. I immediately went to the dealer. At first they thought it was the transmission, but I didn't think so. When they put it on the lift and had someone step on the gas, they decided that I better leave it. Seventeen days later I picked up the car with a brand new engine and five months later, with about 17,300 miles on the car, it was turned in for the Cruze. NO OnStar warning OR warning lights. SO, I don't have any hope that OnStar would be monitoring something other than a loose gas cap!
    I have one that fits and will prevent someone from maliciously putting gas or anything else in your gas talnk. My other car is a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Classic and I bought a locking gas cap(I believe Stant) for either that or for my 2003 Olds. Alero. I just went out to the garage and tried it and it works. I am not sure how well it seals but it will not come off once locked on. It has 2 round "nipples" on either side of the filler tube and fits in and locks on. I am sure I bought it at Advance or Autozone. If it does not seal well tho it may throw a code. You can give that a try and see if that works for you.
    Last edited by Patman; 05-09-2012 at 05:32 PM.

  12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Similar Threads

  1. Horn sound when remote locking the door
    By xxxxnthr47 in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 11:24 PM
  2. Auto Door Locking
    By robertbick in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 09:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2