Cancelling OnStar

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JoeCruze
  • 1 Post By Vetterin
  • 1 Post By Dale_K

Thread: Cancelling OnStar

Cancelling OnStar

When I purchased my 2011 model Cruze, I received my first year of free OnStar service. When that expired, I opted for a second year...reluctantly. Finally as part of one of my resolutions for 2013 I decided it was time to cancel based on the following reasons:

1. Eliminate the annoying recurring monthly charge on my credit card.
    2. Extreme Difference in price for service in Canada as opposed to the US despite our currency being at par.
    3. Eliminate having to call OnStar every several months to negotiate a lower monthly retention rate.
    4. Eliminate monthly spam e-mail from the car that contains no useful information other than...."everything is OK".
    5. Turn By Turn Navigation feature is useless when you already own a GPS with free lifetime map updates as well as a GPS enabled Smartphone.
    6. Handsfree Calling feature requires me to have yet another phone number I must make my contacts aware of.
    7. Handsfree Calling feature is useless in the presence of Bluetooth linked to my Smartphone. (essentially, I'm paying for 2 cell phones)
    8. Any Handsfree Minutes I purchased as a fall-back for emergency should my cellphone not work, or someone else is driving the car, expire after 3 months whether I used them or not.

So, with all the useful day to day features essentially moot, I decided to press the little Blue Button back in the beginning of January on my way home from work one day and explained to the outsourced foreigner why I no longer wanted to pay for their services.

"What about Vehicle Tracking and Theft Recovery?" - That's why I have Insurance. If my car is stolen, it's not my problem. I've had a car stolen before and believe me, when it was found it was not in any better shape. Besides, do I really want Big Brother GM tracking me everywhere and everywhen I go?

"What about Lock Out Service?" - I've purchased GM extended warranty and roadside assistance for 5 years which already includes this service. Sure I have to wait for someone to come to me, but your tow trucks are still obligated to help me in that event.

"What about Accident Response?" - I'll admit, you had to make me think on that one. Sure it would be nice to know that in the event of an accident, conceivably I may be unconscious or otherwise not able to reach my phone to call for help and you'll just dispatch someone to come get me. But in the 3 decades I've been driving, I've never been in an accident I didn't walk away from under my own power. Is that one warm and fuzzy feeling worth $40 a month? I'll take my chances based on the luck I've had so far.

Well after all that, Mrs Foreigner didn't have much more to say and processed my request to cancel the service and wished me well. Then on February 6, the familiar "Ding" from my e-mail alerts informed me of another OnStar Monthly Diagnostic arriving. No Cancellation for me, and sure enough, another charge on my Credit Card for another month of service. So I had to call yet again going through the same hoops. The charge was reversed and that little green light on my rearview mirror is finally off.

I guess after that whole rant - I'm just curious to know if anyone else has had any similar issues or experiences with OnStar? At least I can be happy that I never gave XM my Credit Card information and never subscribed beyond the 1 free year I had with them. From what I heard from others, getting rid of them is just as difficult as getting rid of an STD.
    fastdriver likes this.
    2011 Chevy Cruze LS-1SB w/Connectivity Package
    1.8 V4, Auto, Taupe Grey Metallic
    "Penelope"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

BOOOOST!
    Smart move!
    As far as the accident part believe me, God forbid but if you do have an accident you can bet that the the first guy behind you will be on HIS cellphone calling for help because you are BLOCKING THE ROAD!
    fastdriver likes this.

4th Gear
    I canceled mine for most of the same reasons. It costs too much for me.
    fastdriver likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.