Deteriorated Ride Quality

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deteriorated Ride Quality

Driver's Ed

Deteriorated Ride Quality

I need some help in diagnosing a ride quality issue on stock my 2012 Cruze 2LT. For the first 6000 miles the ride was smooth and quiet, then like the turn of a switch, the ride got choppy and jiggly. I can feel it in the seat and the steering wheel at most speeds. It seems like some drive component has grounded out on the chassis or a heavy drive component is shaking. Tires were rotated at 4000 and 8000 miles and always at 32 psi. Underbody pan was cut out for the fire recall at 4000 miles. Dealer cannot find anything.

Does anyone have an idea of what I should look for?
    Last edited by Back2Chevy; 03-04-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: correction of typo

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

...sounds like bad (leaking) struts(front) / shocks(rear).
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

The one thing that can make a car do this in your word "like the turn of a switch", is wheel weights. Have the dealer check the balance of your tires. Do you feel it more in the seat or steering wheel? How many miles do you have on the car now?

4th Gear
    My wife complained to me one day after a snowstorm that her car felt like it was going to bounce off the road. I told her it was probably snow on the rim from when it was parked in the driveway. Sure enough, cleaned the snow out of the rim and everything was fine. Water, well... ice actually at this time of year inside a tire can do the same thing.
    1LT A/T

1st Gear
    It sounds more like wheel balance than shock/strut. If it felt floatie like an old cadillac, that would be struts/shocks. This is assuming nothing is broken and the dealer didn't miss it.

I'm leaning towards balancing as well. Hit any big pot holes or curb checks recently?
    ^Usually sarcasm.

If anything I say offends you... you might need a snickers.

How fast do you have to go before it starts to happen?
    2013 Chevy Cruze LT RS - Black granite, 6M

Like I said, probably wheel balance issue. In general, if you feel vibrations in the wheel, its your front wheels. If your vibration is in the seat, its your rear wheels.

BOOOOST!
    Not a great description to work with OP, but i'll throw a few things out there.

If a wheel is out of balance, it will smooth out at 80-85mph, and by 90mph or so the car should be completely smooth.
    If a wheel is bent, it will get worse the faster you go.

Shocks don't last long on any car. Most OEM shocks are basically dead by 35K miles. My buddy's '12 Focus started crashing through the suspension (hitting bump stops) by 30K, and ride quality in most cars is substantially below new by 40K, including high end cars. Most people just don't notice because it happens slowly.

At 18K my Cruze isn't quite due for shocks, but they definitely aren't performing as well as new either. By 30K they'll probably be done.
    Cruze 1LT M6 - K&N Drop In, Intake Resonator Delete, Black Label Tuned - 162whp/186wtq @ 18.5psi
    GSXR750 - Turbo, E85, approx 220whp
    ZX10R - Mufflers - 161whp

Driver's Ed
    Replies

Just turned 9000 miles. I feel the choppiness equally in the seat and the steering wheel. It is mild, but the car originally rode so smoothly, I would be doin 80+ without realizing it. Now, the ride is choppy from 40 mph +.

Perhaps it is a wheel weight. The change happened when riding through a heavy rain storm.

Seems to be independent of speed, and more on the road surface. Like the tires are overpressured, but as I said, they are at 32 psi
    Last edited by Back2Chevy; 02-26-2013 at 01:22 PM.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.