Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Dealer says there is recall coming

82K views 155 replies 46 participants last post by  obermd 
#1 ·
For 2011/2013 Cruze 1.4T all models.

Best I have for now is something about reprogramming the ECM for emission compliance.

I'll keep my ear to the ground....maybe someone will get better details sooner than I.

Rob

#2 ·
That's Nice to hear something that is not going to be so Nice .. Ha already had my emissions tested for the next 2 years .. OH Goodie ..

#4 ·
...and is it going to effect those people with Tunes I'm sure people with them are thinking.

#7 ·
I wonder if it has something to do with the sticking steering issue. On April 11, 2015, GM announced that it would not issue a recall for the problem even though two owners reported crashing due to the issue.

"GM told the Times the stuck steering wheels aren't considered enough of a safety hazard to order a recall, yet GM sent its dealers a technical service bulletin about the problem. The bulletin tells GM dealers exactly how to repair the problem by installing a simple software update, but only if customers complain enough to bring their cars in for service."

Steering Wheels Stick in the Chevy Cruze, Malibu and Buick Verano | CarComplaints.com

#10 ·
I wonder if it has something to do with the sticking steering issue. On April 11, 2015, GM announced that it would not issue a recall for the problem even though two owners reported crashing due to the issue.

"GM told the Times the stuck steering wheels aren't considered enough of a safety hazard to order a recall, yet GM sent its dealers a technical service bulletin about the problem. The bulletin tells GM dealers exactly how to repair the problem by installing a simple software update, but only if customers complain enough to bring their cars in for service."

Steering Wheels Stick in the Chevy Cruze, Malibu and Buick Verano | CarComplaints.com
Pretty sure they're going to steer clear of a recall on this one because it requires replacing the $800 steering gear on 2011-2012 model years.

#11 ·
Thanks for the heads up.

#12 ·
Hope its not like some Microsoft updates, recall a framework or something like this on XP that really caused my computer to crash and with 8.1 programs that were running wouldn't run anymore.

Cruze is running perfectly fine the way it is, have they really tested out this new firmware that won't create new problems?

O4 Cavalier had three firmware updates, latest one caused an engine hesitation when taking off in 1st gear, just had to learn to live with it. But was told had something to do with EPA emission requirements.

#17 ·
I saw a post here somewhere but I can't find it now. It said that the Trifecta tune uses the new emissions program as a base so at least for me that means I don't have to worry about failing the emissions test. I simply don't need to be flashed. If they ask me I'll simply say Ted Britt's updated it and they must have forgotten to file the paper work. They are wankers and stiffed me on my oil change when I bought the car from Sterling Chevrolet and they bought the dealership but thought it would be cute not to honor a simple little oil change in good faith to keep customers.

#16 ·
SUBJECT: Reprogram Engine Control Module
MODELS: 2011-2013 Chevrolet Cruze
Equipped with 1.4L Engine (RPO LUJ and LUV) and Automatic Transmission
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]CONDITION
General Motors has decided to conduct a voluntary emission recall of 2011-2013 Chevrolet Cruze vehicles equipped with a 1.4L engine (RPO LUJ or LUV) and an automatic transmission. General Motors and US Environmental Protection Agency emissions testing found vehicles that did not comply with the carbon monoxide emissions standard on the US06 emissions test. This test measures tailpipe emissions during high speed/high load conditions.
CORRECTION
Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module (ECM) to revise the fuel enrichment strategy as required.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

#18 ·
SUBJECT: Reprogram Engine Control Module
MODELS: 2011-2013 Chevrolet Cruze
Equipped with 1.4L Engine (RPO LUJ and LUV) and Automatic Transmission
CONDITION
General Motors has decided to conduct a voluntary emission recall of 2011-2013 Chevrolet Cruze vehicles equipped with a 1.4L engine (RPO LUJ or LUV) and an automatic transmission. General Motors and US Environmental Protection Agency emissions testing found vehicles that did not comply with the carbon monoxide emissions standard on the US06 emissions test. This test measures tailpipe emissions during high speed/high load conditions.
CORRECTION
Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module (ECM) to revise the fuel enrichment strategy as required.

Got out of this one, have a manual transmission.

My uneducated guess is the only thing they could do with the firmware is lean out the mixture, and maybe go overboard like this did on my 04 so get some hesitation when accelerating. Never noted any change in fuel economy. This mostly depended upon what kind of crap I got out of the pump.

#20 ·
Thanks Robby and ChevyMGR.

It sounds like this reprogramming would make the engine run richer to bring the emission system to full temperature faster?

If that's the case I'm not sure I'll be racing in to get this one.

With the coolant system finally working properly and not venting with BlueAngel's O-ring solution, the car is delivering 38 mpg on the pump calcs and 41 mpg over a 400 mile average on the DIC.

There's no yearly emissions testing in Minnesota anymore.

Reactions: LizzieCruze
#21 ·
Actually when you kick on the gas pedal, knocked out of closed loop mode and the fuel injector dwell is increased to get extra power. On carbed cars, would switch from 14.7:1 down to 12:1 AF ratio. Hard to say what it is with fuel injection, would have to bypassed the catalytic converter and measure it.

But in reality, the catalytic converter is suppose to take care of this, but could be slightly undersized that would cost GM huge bucks to replace, so cheaper to rewrite the firmware for LESS injector dwell. And may get some hesitation as a result.

#23 · (Edited)
This really disturbs me. It is short sighted.

Why not instead push back on the out of control government and call for the car to be grand fathered as it existed before the change went into place or fix the vehicle the right way. What should we expect from GM after they here willing to take a hacksaw to cars sold just weeks prior.

Get your head out of your collective @sses GM. Don't self destruct the Cruze after a good first generation run where you might actually make a positive name for yourself rather then choke at the last second and have everyone be like yup that is the GM I remember.

Thankfully the Trifecta tune runs ok and has this already taken care of so this computer update will not defile my Cruze.

#35 ·
Why not instead push back on the out of control government and call for the car to be grand fathered as it existed before the change went into place or fix the vehicle the right way.
Path of least resistance. The government can be real pricks.

But if Trifecta says they've done it already, then it may not have that much impact on performance. Or, at least it can be done without affecting performance.

#24 ·
Even my sister in law got a letter for her 10 gmc terrain with the 2.4. Think it'll just be a while before I head to the dealer if I can help it lol. Or just tell them not to do it... kinda wonder of they took out the fuel dump at high boost and rpm that's supposed to help cool and preserve the turbo?

#33 ·
I 'm not .. I drive predominately city miles ..

#37 ·
As I was reading the entire reprogramming procedure I came upon this interesting note:

Note: [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Vehicles retrofitted with the GM Accessory Turbo Stage Kit may already have the required calibrations loaded in the engine control module (ECM). If the Service programming system (SPS) indicates that the ECM already contains the latest available calibrations, no further action is required. Do NOT reprogram or overwrite the calibrations in the ECM. [/FONT][/FONT]

#41 ·
And I have an LS so I'm good and you 's guys can chew the fat with out me . j good question .. oh yeah me IT has never ever had any problems runnig 87 so with out further adoœ . Dat Rep doe .

Reactions: Jim Frye
#42 ·
If I remember correctly, excessive CO output under load is a sign of incompletely burned fuel. The 2011 to 2013 Cruze run like crap on 87 octane because they are pulling timing to avoid engine knock. How much unburned fuel is going out the tail pipe in this situation?

If this is correct I wouldn't be surprised to see this recall extended to the manual transmissions as well.

#43 ·
Humm, I just got the factory books and discovered buried in the RPO codes is KRD--which the factory service manuals say means "fuel rating octane NO.91" but the owner book says 87 is OK, so is the owner book a miss print ?? my cruze is a mid 2013 build 1.4L California emission vehicle, it seems to do OK on the 87 fuel with the California oxygenates in it, would I get more MPG or power with 91 octane fuel ?????

#44 · (Edited)
I doubt it's a misprint. It was known early on (2011) that the 1.4L motor was designed to run on 91 octane. Tough sell if all of the competition runs on 87 octane, and the competition would have been all over it like flies on dung, so it was likely a "management" decision to modify the software to "detune" for 87 octane. Then you can publish and sell it as such. Also the reason for so many reccmendations to run premium gas when the ambient temps got above 90 degrees F, or to get a tune that corrected the problem. This change is a good thing for Cruze owners IMO, but it likely wouldn't have happened had it not been for the EPA/NHTSA/Govermit. Better mpg with 91? YMMV.

Useless Information:
The current 1.8L motor in the Civic was also designed to run on 91 octane, for foreign markets, I believe. However, it was set up in the US for 87 octane and runs quite well on it, regardless of temperatures. I've run over 2,000 miles of 93 octane in mine and it had absolutely no effect on mileage or perceived performance. I suspect this is all due to a much simpler engine design, or better engineering.

#47 · (Edited)
I have the build sheets for both my 2012 ECO MT and 2012 LS MT. They both have the KRD code. Both cars do run better on 91 octane. The ECO MT dramatically better and the LS MT somewhat better. Both show improved city fuel economy on 91 as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.