Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Hot weather and sluggish running

23K views 68 replies 22 participants last post by  pL2014 
#1 ·
I've searched the forum and saw a few threads about this(all old) and have thus decided that i'm going to start using some premium gas and when my engine cools down i'm going to check my plug gaps. Outside of this, and a pricey tune, what else can I do to get this Cruze to run right in this weather? it's currently only 94F(34.4C) and it's been running pretty sloppy today, and in 2 weeks I have to drive all the way from the gulf coast to Illinois, Any other low cost suggestions(and preferably not warranty voiding) would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
After checking the spark plug gaps - set them to 0.028"-0.030" and a couple of tanks of 91/93 octane let us know. The next step would be to replace the plugs with NGK BKR8EIX (iridium) or NGK BKR7E (vPower copper). Both improve low RPM performance. The copper plugs will only last 10,000 to 20,000 miles however.

#3 ·
Premium 93 and the coppers with proper gaps worked well for me. Improved grounding won't hurt either. The Cruze was by far the most affected by heat soak car I have ever owned. I have a GTO LS1 and BMW 320i - both cars are flawless in the heat and humidity.

#14 ·
The Cruze was by far the most affected by heat soak car I have ever owned.
I wish I had known this thing ran on premium gas and needed better plugs to run down here when I bought it. Starting to seem like I should have just kept dumping money into my Pontiac to keep it on the road.
It appears GM didn't figure out proper timing to get things decent for the Cruze on 87 until the 2014+ ECM tuning. The pre-2014 cars are definitely heavily affected by hot weather on 87 octane.

#5 ·
What year of Cruze do you have? 1.4 turbo I assume? Thanks

#7 ·
Bones,

If you haven't gotten the ECU recall done, get it done. This recall appears to also assist in hot weather.

#11 ·
Had that done middle of last month right after I got the letter. Seems to have changed nothing from my perception. I don't have a great point of relation sadly though, because it's a little hotter now than it was last month, and only going to get hotter till about the end of October (i'll hit a year in the car by then).

Since i've gotten the car(October 2014) , i've only had 31mpg average, down to 26 if I'm driving city instead of mostly highway. Guess i'll get a good test in a couple of weeks.

#8 ·
2013 LT with the 1.4 Turbo. I'm quickly growing to despise it. Runs great in the 3 months of cool weather we typically have down here. not so much in the other 9 months so far it seems.
- Get the coppers in your engine and 93 in your tank. I had no issues with A/C on in 90+ temps after that combo. Zero hesitation and I had a 6MT ECO.

#10 · (Edited)
The thing is with premium, you should also pick up some MPGs, since timing is not being pulled. I kept my Pontiac when I got my Cruze. Glad I kept it. The gas mileage of the Pontiac on the highway is about half of what my ECO got. It does put a smile on my face when I drive it though.

#12 · (Edited)
Bones: Has the system been shutting the A/C off due to high engine temps. yet? That seems to be another symptom of the high ambient temperature performance problem. Make sure your coolant level is up to the mark also. Everything I've read here (and elsewhere), you really do need the 91 or 93 octane fuel and the proper plug gaps when the outside temperature goes above 90 degrees F.

#26 ·
Believe it or not...I'm with you on this! For the 10 or so days you COULD use the ac here in the midwest it's just not worth the money or loss of power to me. In the 4-1/2 years I've had my Cruze and driving 380-400 miles a week, I can honestly say I have used the AC less than 20 times. FWIW, once I get my car up to speed it is flawless and cruises as good as the best of them (and that's on 87 - 89 max octane).

#17 ·
A tune won't help with no power at low RPM. The ECU is pulling power because it's knocking from being heat soaked at a stop - these cars are pretty bad about it.

Throw away the stock plugs and put in some of those BKR8EIX plugs. My car is tons more drivable, even with the AC on, with them. My first summer, with improperly gapped plugs, and trying to run 87 octane, the car would just about stall or cut ALL power when pulling out in traffic - it was terrible. Now I have no issues darting across traffic to make a quick left turn.

I run 87/89 in cold weather, and 93 in summer months. I don't mind doing it just in summer months, but I, too, bought the car because I thought it would run fine on regular.

A little bit of Freon added and my A/C works pretty good for a small car.

#18 ·
I have a 14 Eco 6 speed manual, engine runs well even in hot weather so long as I keep the engine running more than 1500 rpm, I live in Indiana so not very much hot weather here, I have only run 87 and it runs fine. Sounds like the older 1.4 doesn't run well on 87 in hot weather.

#19 ·
There was a programming change for the 2014s that make them run a lot better on low octane (87) gas and in hot weather.

#20 ·
Hey Bones,
I have the same problem here in Az. I take it we have the same car ( 2013 AT , LTZ ) . I have re-gapped my plugs , had the recall for the ECU done, run Premium gas and still have the hesitation. The car runs great in the cooler weather. Still deciding if I want to trade it in for something else.

#22 ·
Amazon.com. You can order them singly or in a four pack. The four pack was cheaper but the prices do change daily.

#24 ·
When you say "sluggish" what exactly are we talking about? The Cruze's 0-30 isn't bad. But the 25-30 usually leaves something to be desired. (Which is to say that from a dead stop it's fine, but in traffic, it can be really lackluster.) It seems the ECU is slow in executing a downshift to give you the power you need.

If you can anticipate the need, you can use the slap stick to drop a gear first - and then it takes right off.

#31 ·
I wonder if you have a vacuum leak that isn't large enough to set the P0171 code. Sitting at idle the only time I've had this type of problem was shortly before my car set the P0171 lean code.

#27 ·
I will stick with my Autolites double platinum with some meat on them for thermal conductivity that greatly helps with pre-ignition problems. And gaped to 26 mils.

Pumps around here say up to 10% ethanol whatever the hail this means, already got up to 0% ethanol using very low grade 80 octane fuel. Use only 91 octane not that the Cruze needs this, but is the only gas I can buy around here that is ethanol free.

I really am enjoying this warmer weather if I set the cruise at 65 mph can enjoy 46 mpg with my 2LT, paying as high as $4.50 a gallon for oxygen for this so-called winter gasoline. Another major problem is those short springs in the boots that can hang up in the shoulders, stretching them out about 3/8" prevents this, and look at all four so the ends of the springs are sticking out. Can tilt the coil module to see if the springs are seated properly on the plugs.

Brag all you want about NGK's, already had ceramic seal problems with these piece of crap causing blowby. I have the proper test equipment to test stuff like this. Also 30 years experience in designed ignition modules.

But do whatever you want to do. No skin off my nose, but always tests plugs before putting them in, regardless. Spark plugs have a 110 year old history, still clean them every 15-20K, still burning carbon that builds up on that center electrode giving a path to ground, carbon is highly conductive.

Ha, after 110 years, nobody has found a better way, but sure has been a bunch of worthless patents on this issue. Also put a thin coat of anti-seize on the threads and dielectric grease inside the boots. Former prevent electrolysis from binding steel to aluminum, another stupid idea, latter prevents the boots from baking on the plugs. No way to get on the end of those boots to pull them out, and like a Chinese finger puzzle, harder you pull the harder they grip.

But do it your way.

#30 ·
I have a 2011 and a 2012 Cruze. Both have 1.4's. Same fuel (91 Octane), same spark plugs, both with around 90K miles. The 2011 seems to just run better in the heat, but both struggle a good bit when the temps get above 105. When it is around 115, both cars struggle a good bit under 2500 rpm. They idle great, no sputtering, but just no power and it feels like it takes a long time for the turbo to spool and get going.

Phoenix summers FTL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.