Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Garage Door Opener - simple mod

20K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  slash2000 
#1 ·
I needed a spot to stash my garage door opener and the wife discovered it fits right in the little cubby behind the shifter like it was meant for it. Decided I would make it look more stealth with some flat black spray paint.

Its for a Chamberlain opener but its a rolling code transmitter, I guess you could probably use it on other openers if you could find one.

#5 ·
I thought about putting my iphone there until I shifted into 3rd and hit it. I settled on putting it in the handle of the door. I had to throw my sunglasses in the cupholder of my door. I really wish the compartment on the dash was a bit deeper...oh well. I can live with it.

#10 ·
I also keep my opener on the visor because it has one button to open my garage and another button to open the gate to my community so it is used quite a bit.
FWIW, I actually CAN put my sunglasses in the top cubby without any problem but that is probably because they are the flat aviator glasses and not wrap arounds.

#11 ·
Hiding the Opener...

For years, I have added a push button to an empty switch spot on the dash and wired my opener to it. I then clip, or hang, the opener up under the dash to keep it out of sight. I opened the openers and spliced into the button contacts with a bit of wire and an plug. The switch on the dash has a mating plug. In Ohio, we have to have the registration and proof of insurance for the authorities if you are stopped, so they are usually in the glovebox with the owner's manual. This way, if a creep breaks into the car, he likely won't steal the opener (and your registration with the address on it), go to your house, and break in through the garage. It also saves the hassle with replacing the opener and re-programming everything with a new code. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a spot on the Cruze dash to easily mount a push button.

#16 ·
For years, I have added a push button to an empty switch spot on the dash and wired my opener to it. I then clip, or hang, the opener up under the dash to keep it out of sight. I opened the openers and spliced into the button contacts with a bit of wire and an plug. The switch on the dash has a mating plug. In Ohio, we have to have the registration and proof of insurance for the authorities if you are stopped, so they are usually in the glovebox with the owner's manual. This way, if a creep breaks into the car, he likely won't steal the opener (and your registration with the address on it), go to your house, and break in through the garage. It also saves the hassle with replacing the opener and re-programming everything with a new code. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a spot on the Cruze dash to easily mount a push button.
I just wire in a Flash2Pass system... works great, and no new buttons required. Best part, took it off the old car I traded it and put it into the Cruze in about 20 mins. total and I'm back in action.

#17 ·
:D:D You must be young. It's all about saving $$$$$$.

#20 ·
I just bought a Flash2Pass for my Harley... I also picked up one for the Cruze I just purchased. Our previous car had a garage door opener built in and thought this would be a great alternative! rlhammon could you please give me a hint on what wire you tapped into on your cruze? and where you mounted the transmitter?

Thanks!!!

#24 ·
Went to the Flash2Pass website, where you can download installation instructions for specific cars. They didn't have instructions for installing in a Chevy Cruze. Which Chevy instructions should be used instead? Cobalt?
The general instructions should work...seems pretty simple.

#25 ·
Lack of storage is a HUGE issue for me on my LTZ. No place to store sunglasses (easily). I decided to keep my loose change in the "smoker's package." The ashtray is like a cup with a lid on it. I put my change in there and keep it in the cup holder on the driver door. I was kinda hoping the mylink system would allow me to program my garage door opener and gate remotes so that i wouldn't have to have them in the car, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.