Every Eco owner needs to know this! [ CONFIRMED ] - Page 12
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Every Eco owner needs to know this! [ CONFIRMED ]

3rd Gear
    I read a blog somewhere that said they confirmed with GM that the A/T version of the Eco has a 15.3 gallon tank, and the M/T version has the 12.6

One thing to remember is that capacity is not based on actual size, it is an average number based on multiple fill ups. There is alway extra head room in a tank.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

My Eco is a M/T model so it has to have the smaller tanks either way. I'm just wondering if anyone else uses the app and if their numbers are off also. If a Cruze owner with the "larger gas tank" can fill up his car and his OnStar phone app tells him that he is at 100%......then that would explain a lot. That tells me that my tank is in fact larger and that my fill ups are being cut short by some evil means. I am tempted to try to get another gallon in there and see if my fill percent can get over 90% on my app.

Learning about my Cruze
    well, I must say, i thought you were all crazy, but I just put 15.1 gallons in my manual eco... took forever, but it did it. and definitely did not siphon anything out i filled it so the fuel was always in plain sight, holding the fuel filler at the very lip of the filler neck so it was never possible to siphon...

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer View Post
    well, I must say, i thought you were all crazy, but I just put 15.1 gallons in my manual eco... took forever, but it did it. and definitely did not siphon anything out i filled it so the fuel was always in plain sight, holding the fuel filler at the very lip of the filler neck so it was never possible to siphon...
    Actually this probably confirms it has a 12.6 tank more than anything. I am pretty sure you could get 16 - 17 gallons into the 15.6 tank if you tried.

From what I originally understood, the 15.6 tank wouldn't fit into the eco, it wasn't just a weight think, is was the combination tank/rear suspension. Though I cant find anything to confirm that.

Remember 12.6 or 15.6 is not the max the tank can hold, its the average fill up amount of gas. Something similar to one click and stop.

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    Actually this probably confirms it has a 12.6 tank more than anything. I am pretty sure you could get 16 - 17 gallons into the 15.6 tank if you tried.

From what I originally understood, the 15.6 tank wouldn't fit into the eco, it wasn't just a weight think, is was the combination tank/rear suspension. Though I cant find anything to confirm that.

Remember 12.6 or 15.6 is not the max the tank can hold, its the average fill up amount of gas. Something similar to one click and stop.
    what? have you ever tried to overfill a car? every other car I own I cannot do this, the tank stops letting the fuel enter after a certain point. this would drink it down every time. My car had almost 60 miles left until empty, stating it had a little over a gallon left in it when I filled up...

Quote Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer View Post
    what? have you ever tried to overfill a car? every other car I own I cannot do this, the tank stops letting the fuel enter after a certain point. this would drink it down every time. My car had almost 60 miles left until empty, stating it had a little over a gallon left in it when I filled up...
    It is a 15.6 gallon tank. 12.6 is forced by a choke in the filler neck (was explained this way to me). It was made 12.6 in order to hit a specific vehicle test weight.

That is what I heard..

Formula One Champion
    ...while it doesn't state it's "...total possible..." capacity, the Eco does have a unique gas tank:

• RPO: NL6 - FUEL TANK - 49L, 13 GAL, SINGLE.

...check your car's build codes in the glovebox.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

3rd Gear
    I have the NL6. Interesting....

Yes I have overfilled gas tanks before, there are whole threads on forums with questions on if this is harmful because some people intentionally do it.

In any case, I was looking at the RPO codes for the cruze, two things I noticed.

1. There is only 1 RPO code.
    2. It states only 13 gallons.

I know GM has RPO codes for additional capacity, if you look at their tanks, not all tank sizes are covered. They use RPO of +1, +3, ect in combination with tank RPO.

Tank capacity is not set, as I have tried to explain, its based on average fill up. Changing the pour spout location, the type of pump/filter in it, the design of the float, allowed vapor space, ect can all impact the capacity, and how much overfill it can take. Here is a good article to explain. http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/MSD/docs/p...k_cap.pdf?ga=t

But I am curious, gas tanks are not that heavy, in fact, a few gallons is heavier than the talk usually. GM would have saved weight by just restricting the flow, but if so, you would be able to overfill it if you took the time to do so.

I have an eco 6mt and have thought that my gas tank is advertised. I have been able to slowly slowly slowly click in more gas but never more then an extra gallon

I haven't posted in awhile, but this is an interesting thread. I sometimes use www.gmpartsdirect.com to look up and order parts. Their catalog only shows one fuel tank for the Cruze. I was wondering if maybe there was something different about the filler neck, but the catalog only lists one as well. It is possible that their online catalog hasn't been updated yet with Eco model specific parts, but it does show the Eco wheels and a few other Eco only parts like the grill shutters and actuator.

Tomorrow I will go to my local Chevy dealer and see if I can get some part numbers.
    Current cars:
    2008 Chevy Malibu 2LT
    2010 Mazda CX-9

GO BLUE!!!!!!

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast