Stereo Amp Install
NEWS
 

  1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

    Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Stereo Amp Install

  1. #1
    1st Gear Gritts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    269

    Question Stereo Amp Install

    Has anyone been able to add an amplifier to their Cruze successfully? I tried adding two 6x9s to the rear deck along with a dual channel amp. I picked up a high level signal from one of the rear door speakers to feed the amp. Mine suffers from alternator whine coming over the speakers--even with the stereo turned off (engine running o/c). Anyone have any luck eliminating the electrical noise from the engine?
    Thanks ahead of time for any helpful information.
    God put obvious limitations on our intelligence...but none whatsoever on our stupidity.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    3rd Gear gfxdave99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    West of chicago
    Posts
    646
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritts View Post
    Has anyone been able to add an amplifier to their Cruze successfully? I tried adding two 6x9s to the rear deck along with a dual channel amp. I picked up a high level signal from one of the rear door speakers to feed the amp. Mine suffers from alternator whine coming over the speakers--even with the stereo turned off (engine running o/c). Anyone have any luck eliminating the electrical noise from the engine?
    Thanks ahead of time for any helpful information.
    Have you tried hooking up an external signal source to the amplifier? That way you could see if the noise is coming from the amp or from the signal path.

    I had mine installed professionally so I'm not sure exactly where they tapped in but they did use a high quality line output converter. Perhaps you used a cheap one

  4. #3
    Learning about my Cruze KrissKross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    54
    Did you properly ground everything? I used to have those whines in my old Nissan. Everytime i stepped on the accelerator..wheeeee!!! haha.

    also make sure you're "level matching" your speakers with your amp.

  5. #4
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8
    Hmm interesting. I'm looking to hook a couple amps up this weekend, so I'll let you know what happens. I must say, I'm hoping for a different result though.

  6. #5
    Handbrake Released
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    108
    seems like you hooked it up to the AUX input or something... none of my stuff does that. Onlly when i put it in the AUX input, it makes that WHINE sound. hmm... should look into this. are u using your stock DECK? or do u have an A/F one... i recommend you getting an a/f one and hooking the aux to the a/f headunit.

  7. #6
    Handbrake Released Kaimumma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    223
    Quote Originally Posted by gfxdave99 View Post
    Have you tried hooking up an external signal source to the amplifier? That way you could see if the noise is coming from the amp or from the signal path.

    I had mine installed professionally so I'm not sure exactly where they tapped in but they did use a high quality line output converter. Perhaps you used a cheap one

    How is your setup in your Cruze? I want to consider putting a sub and amp into my wife's Cruze because the 9-speaker Pioneer just isn't loud enough!!

  8. #7
    Handbrake Released
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    GTA, Ontario
    Posts
    145
    Depending on the amp be sure you are running at least 8, probably 4 gauge wire. Ensure your ground on the amp is clean and a good ground. If your still have issues you can get a ground loop isolator that goes on the RCA's. Be sure that your power wire and RCA/speaker wire are not running on top of each other or down the same side of the car. Run RCA's down one side, power wire down the other. Let me know if any of that works

  9. #8
    1st Gear Gritts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    269
    In an effort to stop my 'whine' I've ordered a 'line out' converter and a 'ground loop isolator'. The line out converter will let me go from the speaker wire connection to an RCA type connector. From there I'll use the ground loop isolator, which requires RCA connections and is designed to eliminate any DC from the signal going to the amp. After the ground loop isolator I'll connect to the amp's low level RCA connectors.

    Currently I'm going directly from the door speaker to a "high signal input" on the amp. My ground is connected to a ground used by other wiring in the trunk of the car. All the wiring I'm using is from a kit and I think is large enough for my application. From the amp (2 channel) I'm going to two 6x9s mounted in the rear deck.

    Thanks everybody for the help!

    I should get the new parts Monday or so. Whatever happens, I'll post the results.
    Last edited by Gritts; 04-21-2011 at 12:38 PM.
    God put obvious limitations on our intelligence...but none whatsoever on our stupidity.

  10. #9
    Driver's Ed
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    25
    I had bad humming when i installed my amp and it was because i used the same ground for the amp (4gauge) and the ground on the line out converter. found a different ground for the line out - worked perfectly

  11. #10
    1st Gear Gritts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritts View Post
    In an effort to stop my 'whine' I've ordered a 'line out' converter and a 'ground loop isolator'. The line out converter will let me go from the speaker wire connection to an RCA type connector. From there I'll use the ground loop isolator, which requires RCA connections and is designed to eliminate any DC from the signal going to the amp. After the ground loop isolator I'll connect to the amp's low level RCA connectors.

    Currently I'm going directly from the door speaker to a "high signal input" on the amp. My ground is connected to a ground used by other wiring in the trunk of the car. All the wiring I'm using is from a kit and I think is large enough for my application. From the amp (2 channel) I'm going to two 6x9s mounted in the rear deck.

    Thanks everybody for the help!

    I should get the new parts Monday or so. Whatever happens, I'll post the results.

    I installed the line out converter and ground loop isolator this evening and good by annoying buzz/whine. I had to use the line out converter to go from wire connections to RCA type so I could use the ground loop isolator.
    The new 6 x 9s sound good with a much better bass response and fuller all around sound quality. If only I had the right parts to start with! Live and learn (the hard way as usual).

    I mounted the amplifier underneath the rear deck near the speakers with self-taping screws. I'll secure the speakers from moving in their receptacles tomorrow.
    God put obvious limitations on our intelligence...but none whatsoever on our stupidity.

  12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dash/stereo help.
    By Kris D in forum Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-14-2013, 12:32 AM
  2. Best stereo from factory? and why?
    By chuck5330 in forum Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 12:14 PM
  3. 2011 LTZ stereo upgrade 6x9
    By LARRY01Z28 in forum Media
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 11:22 PM
  4. Stereo Features
    By mdabbs in forum Audio & Electronics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 12:00 PM
  5. Oil Residue under stereo
    By kkilburn in forum General Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 09:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2