TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline - Page 8
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline

Driver's Ed
    PS--after reading on the Mobil website, it appears 87 octane will be just fine for my car. As long as it's top tier gas, as the owners manual says. SO Mobile/87 is what I'll use from now on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    Interestingly, at a nearby corner, one gas station is Chevron and directly across the intersection is a Shell...but BOTH are operated under the "GIANT" franchise!
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

Autocross Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 70AARCUDA View Post
    Interestingly, at a nearby corner, one gas station is Chevron and directly across the intersection is a Shell...but BOTH are operated under the "GIANT" franchise!
    It's common for this. In fact, I can pull into my Chevron station and drive into the Shell next door. I commonly see these two stations together or in very short proximity.
    Back to stock. Bored.

Driver's Ed
    do you pour Lucas right into your gas tank??

Aesop
    Consequences of NOT using top tier gasoline: May also apply to the Cruze.

"TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 03-06-04-030G

Date: April 22, 2009

Subject:
    Various Driveability Symptoms Due to Clogged Fuel Injectors, MIL/SES DTCs P0171, P0172, P0174, P0300, P1174, P1175 (Clean Fuel Injectors and/or Perform Injector Test With AFIT CH-47976)

Models:
    2005-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
    2005-2009 HUMMER H2
    2006-2009 HUMMER H3
    2005-2009 Saab 9-7X

Zoom and Print Options
    46_03-06-04-030G_tbl-001.png

Equipped with Engine RPOs listed in the Table above and MULTEC(R) 2 Fuel Injectors

Attention:
    GM does not support cleaning injectors on any engines that are not listed in this bulletin. Engines other than the ones listed in this bulletin that diagnosis indicates having restricted injectors should have those injectors replaced.

Supercede:
    This bulletin is being revised to update the model year to 2009 and to provide applicable engine RPO table. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-06-04-030F (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on any of the following various driveability symptoms:

- Extended Crank Time

- Hard to Start

- MIL/SES Illuminated with DTCs

- Hesitation

- Lack of Power

- Surge or Chuggle

- Rough Idle

- Light or Intermittent Misfire

Cause

Due to various factors, the fuel injectors may become restricted. Extensive testing has demonstrated that fuel related issues are the cause of clogged injectors. At this point, no specific fuel, fuel constituent, or engine condition has been identified as causing the restriction. The restriction causes the engine to operate at a lean air fuel ratio. This may either trigger the MIL to illuminate or the engine to develop various driveability symptoms.

Correction

Fuel injector restrictions, deposits can be cleaned on the vehicle using the following procedure. Under NO circumstances should this procedure be modified, changed or shortened. As a long term solution, and to prevent reoccurrence, customers should be encouraged to use Top Tier Detergent Gasoline. For further information on Top Tier detergent gasoline and fuel retailers, please refer to the following Corporate Bulletin Numbers:

- 04-06-04-047G (U.S. Only)
    - 05-06-04-022D (Canada ONLY)

Notice
    GM UPPER ENGINE AND FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER is the only injector cleaning agent approved for use with General Motors fuel system components. Other injector cleaners may cause damage to plastics, plated metals or bearings. General Motors has completed extensive laboratory testing of GM Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, and can assure its compatibility with General Motors fuel system components, as long as the cleaning procedure is followed correctly."

Administrator

Is there a newer bulletin than the one NickD posted.? His was written before the first Cruze rolled off the line in Lordstown.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Aesop
    Is it to wrong to assume that injectors are injectors? Major difference is the nozzle size, and you can bet your last buck that the nozzles in the Cruze engine are much smaller prone to further restrictions.

Ethanol really screwed up the injectors in my 88 Supra using a brass tipped nozzle, but was able to save those with a lot of work. But new ones would only cost 600 bucks, only to corrode shut after a couple of tank fulls.

I think about that when buying gas, only the very best goes into my vehicle's. Now I am favoring Mobil 91 octane top tier ethanol free gas. Nice little station I pass by frequently ten miles north of town.

Touring Champion
    Decided to post on this old topic since the website Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada was mentioned earlier in this thread. Allot of the info on that website about what stations have 100% gas and what octane they offer is incorrect. You can update any of this outdated info or add new locations without creating an account, I think I did a dozen locally in a few minutes. Think it would be great if other cruze owners updated any they find too.

One local Mobil station I drove by today that always had the cheapest premium (93octane 10% ethanol) now has a sign out front saying "premium contains no ethanol". Drove in and sure enough the fuel is now 91 octane with no ethanol.
    Starks8 likes this.

Lifetime: 10.8 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 42K miles

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by audog View Post
    I have found that mine runs best on 93 Octane Shell gasoline, don't know why, but it seems to get about 2 mpg better with the Shell, than with other brands
    I agree ,I have been using shell v-power and the car runs so much better ,smoother,more responsive ,and a little further on a tank of gas .From 87 octane to 91 or higher it's a matter of 5-6 dollars difference more to fill but it feels like it has a little more power then when I run 87 octane .Well worth the $5,and I know my engine is cleaner, injectors stay clean ,no carbon build up = lower maintenance costs down the road.

Driver's Ed
    For me, the 5 or 6 dollar difference each time I fill up, whice is 2 to 3 times a week adds up to around $575 a year difference so I am using 87 exclusivly now. I do know that 87, 89, and 93 rated gasolines have the same detergents or cleaning additives within the gas itself. This subject seems relative to the driving and vehicle you have, but I have tried all three grades and the difference for me in my 2013 is about 1mpg difference, and the car drives seems to drive the same on all three so its a no brainer for my application.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678