TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline

Driver's Ed

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline

so are we all using the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline .... in our cars? Not all stations have iit.
    Is using a higher octain than regular, better for gas milage?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I have found that mine runs best on 93 Octane Shell gasoline, don't know why, but it seems to get about 2 mpg better with the Shell, than with other brands
    steve333 and 20126spdRS like this.
    2011 Cruze LTZ RS
    2010 Nissan Sentra
    2008 Hyundai Sonata
    1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    1979 Jeep CJ7

I haven't tried top tier yet, but plan to do so afte a few tanks of non-top tier.
    If I can gain a few mpg, as Audog has, and can benefit my wallet in some fashion, I may switch over altogether.

2012 Cruze LTZ/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
    1996 Trans AM LT1/M6
    1998 Pontiac Sunfire (Gone - but not forgotten!)
    2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

Formula One Champion
    ...if you're using Arco gasoline (lowest co$t major here in Tucson, AZ), then you are not using Top Tier.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

After reading up on "Top Tier" gasoline, I'm not sure if there really is a benefit or not. My 15 year old Civic has always run on the cheapest gas I could find and it still gets nearly 30 mpg in town and over 40 mpg on the highway. If its all dirtied up inside from the non-top tier gas, then it hasn't hurt it yet. The engine has never been opened, nor has it needed to be.

The mileage benefit might be the ethanol content of the various gasolines. If the top tier doesn't have 10% ethanol and the cheap stuff does, then you will get better mileage with the top tier. Around here, nearly all of the pumps have 10% ethanol stickers on them, even the top tier brands. Pricing around here is largely dependent on the location of the gas station. The closer to the interstate, the higher the price. Even then, the price differential is usually less than $.15 a gallon for 87 octane. Update: I was just out running some errands and 87 octane down the street, near I-75 is $3.65 a gallon for BP. Three miles away, Sunoco is $3.28 a gallon. Both are 10% ethanol and that is the cash price.

My personal feeling is I'm getting screwed no matter what the price of the gas is.
    Last edited by Jim Frye; 08-22-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    10,900 Mi., Avg. MPG: 33 City; 44 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    One year old, not a single problem or issue.

I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

I'm not apathetic, I'm just too old to matter anymore.
    5,911 '14 YTD

I've been filling up with Shell most of the time cause I prefer their gas. I got some Exxon gas the other day. I've tried 87, 89, and 93. On 93 it does get a tad bit better gas mileage, but nothing to write home about.

On my previous daily driver, '04 Ram 1500, I always got the cheapest gas possible. HEB, Randalls, etc. They all seemed to work fine, but I never did have a look at the internals to see what kind of deposits the fuel was leaving behind. I had 140K miles on my truck before I got into an accident and got my Cruze. I plan to keep this one for a long time which is why I'm using "Top Tier" cat pee gas.
    Cruze LTZ RS Silver Ice Metallic, Black Leather interior, connectivity package, sunroof, pioneer premium sound system, 18" split star wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
    My personal feeling is I'm getting screwed no matter what the price of the gas is.
    Amen to that.
    Cruze LTZ RS Silver Ice Metallic, Black Leather interior, connectivity package, sunroof, pioneer premium sound system, 18" split star wheels

Formula One Champion
    ...Shell here too, but Top Tier is more about 'detergents' content than ethanol content (at least to GM and EPA, et.al.).
    Last edited by 70AARCUDA; 08-22-2011 at 01:55 PM.
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

Handbrake Released
    I agree w/ ya'll!!! We're all getting nailed, while the the Oil Complanies get richer. To borrow a line form Jerry Reed " They got thy goldmine, we got the shaft!!!"

Crewz, I gotta ask what is "cat pee gas"?

Quote Originally Posted by dacruze View Post
    I agree w/ ya'll!!! We're all getting nailed, while the the Oil Complanies get richer. To borrow a line form Jerry Reed " They got thy goldmine, we got the shaft!!!"

Crewz, I gotta ask what is "cat pee gas"?
    It's just what I call pump gas.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast