Cruze Clutch problem - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cruze Clutch problem

2nd Gear
    BTW, if anyone is curious, the 1.4's flywheel is a beast. With the clutch and pressure plate on it, its a big two hands full, i don't know the official weight on it because i don't have a scale here and its not going to FedEx till in the morning. But what i can tell you it IS a dual mass flywheel. I'm betting the diesel is the same way. Not sure that added anything to this thread, except the knowledge that GM is using dual mass flywheels in some of these engines.

And i think 24k is WAY to soon to lose a clutch.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    my car is single hand driven and I dont drive with my foot on the clutch though in delhi's traffic the use of clutch is increased but i have been using cars for last 10 years and my previous cars (santro and estilo and accord) have crossed more than 40k without any problem in the clutch

4th Gear
    Dual-mass flywheel. I didn't know but suspected it because sometimes I get a rattle from the transmission on a hot start during hot weather. Dual-mass units are good for adding smoothness but they steal HP because they're so heavy. Kind of like the way big wheels/tires take away HP on a Dynojet.

Mine is the 1.8. I'm guessing it has the dual-mass too but not totally certain. They're not the same motor. I only found out a week ago that my motor has a timing belt (which sucks).

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by CruzeTalk View Post
    I bought a Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 VCDi LT 4d (2010/59) in UK. I immediately noticed a burning smell in the clutch. Had it checked at the dealers but they said they could not find anything wrong. My clutch has now gone at 24000 miles and have been told I have to replace the fly wheel as well at a substantial cost. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
    I have a Cruze here in CA, leased (not purchased, luckily) Feb. 2011 and experienced exactly the same issue that you mention. The first clutch burned out at approx 4,000 miles on the steep hills of San Fran. Had to replace the clutch and the flywheel at my own cost, the car would *not* shift into 2nd gear. I was very unhappy, my previous car's clutch lasted to 100k (VW), and that was with me learning how to drive a manual transmission on it when it was new! 4k is unacceptable. 24k is *unacceptable*!

Fast-forward to September, around 7k miles, driving home from work, the clutch starts burning out AGAIN! Each gear revs to 6k RPM and the car hardly moves, smoke city, etc. I am enraged. Had it towed to the dealer, who was well aware of the first clutch issue, and they have been working on the car for 2 weeks - and also paying for the first clutch and all those issues.

Clearly, there is something wrong in the assembly of the transmission that is causing this clutch-wearing-out thing. Luckily for me, I only have to drive this beast for 2.5 more years, but this first 6 months have been ****. Sooo disappointed.

I would imagine in your case, you have some recourse. This seems to be happening to more than one consumer - but after my first incident I was told nothing would be covered because clutch/flywheel are wear-and-tear items, not warranty items. Hopefully, this will happen to you again before the warranty expires like it did for me, sounds weird but I am glad it happened again and I don't have to eat the cost of the first repair.

Good luck! You are going to need it.

Driver's Ed
    Did you find anywhere in the uk to buy the parts apart from the main dealer coz I'm having the same problem and they want 900 plus

Aesop
    Always a concern for us that have a clutch, 94 Cavalier with close to a hundred thousand miles on it has been troublefree. See Chevy has many different sources for these clutch disks. Also see as a DIY project with the flywheel, around 600 bucks for parts. Yes a poorly made clutch disk can tear up the pressure plate and flywheel. Would never get a rebuilt pressure plate, too many variables, but if the flywheel is not too bad, can be re-machined.

Taking off in first gear is always the worse wear on a clutch, especially if having to go my an incline. Tend to be too gentle in this respect, that 1.4L engine stalls very easily, have to give it more gas. But I think about the work involved in changing a clutch. At my old age, still can easily pull a transmission from a RWD vehicle, but with a FWD, need help from two strong guys. And the front end really has to be safely blocked up high. Think about that always when driving with a clutch.

But if GM is outsourcing crap, would get very very angry. Also seeing a long list of complaints with the automatic.

Administrator

Do you have the original service order where you complained about the burning rubber smell? If so, you need to take that in to the dealer and show them that there was a problem with the car when you purchased it. If not, give GM/UK a call.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Driver's Ed

Clutch problem

I had same problem mine has just gone and am struggling to find the parts any idea apart the main dealer

Aesop
    Don't know if our politicians are receiving huge campaign funds from these Asian countries or being blackmailed by them. But it seems strange they are charging huge tariffs to our European allies, but no tariffs or even sending them cash to import their goods to countries like Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, and Viet Nam that have given us a lot of problems in the past. And still are.

This started in the early 70's and has become worse ever since. In the 50's and 60's, could actually buy all the parts yourself and assemble a vehicle cheaper than buying an assembled one off a showroom floor, that is ancient history. Today can pay as much as 150 times the cost of that part.

In theory at least, no one can sell you parts cheaper than your dealer, minimum distribution cost, and the OE' buy in huge quanity. But that also changed after the crunch, now robbing you blind. Claim they have to do that to stay in business. That seem contrary to logical business sense, you lower prices when the economy gets bad. Did that as a general manager, actually increased our business doing hard times. And have to add, since the early 70's, we had more than our share of hard times.

I know for a fact I found clutch parts on rockauto.com and autopartswarehouse.com before I purchased my Cruze. Wanted to see what I was in for after warranty. Just checked, no longer listed. Were Delco parts, must be some kind of shortage going on now.

gmpartsdirect.com still list them, but S&H charges are outrageous. Can print that list out and take it to your dealer and have a long talk with either the owner or general manager since you are having problems with the car you purchased from him. Not a **** reason in the world they cannot beat gmpartsdirect.com prices. Have done that.

11. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12