Is the Cruze in trouble?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Cruze in trouble?

1st Gear

Is the Cruze in trouble?

From reading an article on a website i frequent, it has me wonder if the Cruze will grow in sales. They compared the Cruze to the Civic, Corolla, Focus, Sentra, Impreza, etc.

Do you guys think the Cruze is in trouble or not?

read the article here: Is The Cruze In Trouble? | The Truth About Cars

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    I think they'll see a sales jump when the RS is available on the lots. Also, all of us who have ordered our RS Cruze won't impact sales until we actually claim and pay for our car.

1st Gear
    Thats true, I guess its a matter of time untill we can really compare the Cruze to other cars, giving the Cruze enough time to be noticed. I think the Cruze is doing good being that it has no history on it.

The problem with the analysis is that it assumes the "old" way of thinking about GM and success: if they aren't the #1 seller, then they've failed. This was back when selling compact cars was a break-even or even loss-leading type of situation.

But this isn't true anymore. The true arbiter of success is whether they can steadily sell these vehicles and make a profit off of them. How do you think all the other car makers in that graphic selling fewer cars than the cruze (Mazda, Nissan, Kia, Subaru) are making money?

No one is asking "Is the Subaru Impreza in trouble?" Because they make a profit and be a success and continue to support and sell that car without having to dominate the market.

I think the whole point of the Cruze is quality over quantity. This is why the price is higher, and the features are better. These "analysts" are missing that. If they are making money off the 9,000 that WERE sold, then that's way more sustainable than the old method that got GM in serious trouble: slashing prices and putting out tons of incentives, and selling 20,000 Cobalts while losing money on each and every one.

Some of them - maybe not all, but some of them - also want to be the first to say "I told you so!" at the first possible sign of GM faltering.

Honestly, I think it's too early to assume the Cruze is in trouble.
    Last edited by scaredpoet; 12-10-2010 at 05:09 PM.

Handbrake Released
    that's true...making profit is more important than being number one in Sales...look at old GM..number one inn sales then bankrupt or whatever...

what would be worrisome though is that GM management panics and starts offering incentives/lowers prices to keep assembly lines working..

plus..we early buyers don't want to see that for obvious reasons....a lower price than what we paid for...

You can spin numbers any way you want. Here's how I see it. The Cruze got outsold by two outgoing models (Focus, Elantra) with replacements now in production and one that will be next model year for sure (Civic). These manufacturers are desperately trying to get rid of older models. The incentives on Focus and Corolla are huge. Even Civics are getting some enticing financing offers. I could have gotten a 2010 Elantra or Forte for under $11k. They have 0% on Mazda3's and Sentras, which the Cruze outsold. Last I saw the Cruze has 2.9% financing through Allie and no cash. I got my car through my union fleet sales so I got it well below MSRP, but I'm assuming a thousand or so under MSRP is the average transaction right now.

As many have pointed out. If GM is profitable then that is all that matters. It isn't all bad to have a unique car that isn't one of a thousand civics or corollas on the road.
    My Car - 2011 Cruze LS: Silver, MANUAL, Connectivity, Spare, Mats.
    Wife's Car - 2009 Honda Fit Sport: 40 MPG Hatchback

1st Gear
    good points stated here so far, looking to hear more from other memebers!

Handbrake Released
    I asked this question on another thread. Are the selling well? Apparently not as good as would be thought. I agree the outgoing models are selling well due to huge incentives. I could have a 2011 Focus for $13K-15K now, but it would not have the same features or quality of the Cruze.

What is some what troubling for the Cruze is what is coming out. The 2011 Elantra in pretty sweet and is hitting dealers now. The 2012 Focus is on the way. All though I don't like the looks of it, many small car buyers apparently do. And, the Civic is due for an overhaul. All of those could hurt sales later on, so it is very important the Cruzse sell well. I feel GM dropped the ball on this one by not marketing the Cruze. I'm just now seeing commercials for the Cruze. Where were these in July, two months prior to release? People don't know about the Cruze and those that do think it is a glorified Cobalt, which is not the case. GM needs to get the "word" out.

1. who thinks its a glorified cobalt? i havent heard that yet.. everyone thinks its a malibu due to some resemblence i guess
    2. theres tons of ONLINE advertising. i've seen ads on pandora.com, yahoo, autoblog, etc.

Driver's Ed
    It's waaay too early to be trying to predict how well the Cruze will fair. This is the slowest time of the year for all new car sales and the other car makers are offering very good pricing and incentives on exsisting models right now.

I found a 2011 Nissan Versa hatchback with 1.8L and 6-speed manual for less than 12K and Nissan is offering 0% financing for 60 months. It's very tempting, though the Cruze is a lot more car, it's also several thousand more.

Most of the Chevy dealers I've talked to are still coveting thier Cruzes and hardly budging on the price. They'll say they can sell it for what I want to pay, they're wanting big down payments to do it. I may end up jumping ship and settling for less.

MHF

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast