Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Cruze Quality

Tags
quality
13K views 48 replies 30 participants last post by  jaybirdconnelley 
#1 ·
cruze owners..... from your experience, how do you find the quality of parts found on the interior, exterior and under the hood? Is it better then previous cars from Chevy?

#4 ·
I agree, what interiors have you been looking at montana? The Cruze is on par or better than my 2011 Mustang and Ford Flex, for a heck of a lot less money.

Overall quality:

Engine: Excellent so far
Transmission: Average at best
Interior: Excellent
Exterior: Very good
Ride: Excellent
Handling: Excellent
Overall: Very Good.

#12 · (Edited)
I agree, what interiors have you been looking at montana? The Cruze is on par or better than my 2011 Mustang and Ford Flex, for a heck of a lot less money.
...hope you don't mind, but I "borrowed" and expanded your excellent review:

Overall Cruze quality:

......Engine: [X] Excellent, [ ] Very good, [ ] Good, [ ] Average, [ ] Poor
Fuel Economy: [ ] Excellent, [ ] Very good, [X] Good, [ ] Average, [ ] Poor
Transmission: [ ] Excellent, [ ] Very good, [ ] Good, [X] Average, [ ] Poor
....Interior: [X] Excellent, [ ] Very good, [ ] Good, [ ] Average, [ ] Poor
....Exterior: [ ] Excellent, [X] Very good, [ ] Good, [ ] Average, [ ] Poor
........Ride: [X] Excellent, [ ] Very good, [ ] Good, [ ] Average, [ ] Poor
....Handling: [X] Excellent, [ ] Very good, [ ] Good, [ ] Average, [ ] Poor
==========================================================================
.....Overall: [ ] Excellent, [X] Very good, [ ] Good, [ ] Average, [ ] Poor

...if Excellent = 5, Very good = 4, Good = 3, Average = 2 and Poor = 1; then:

[(4x5)+(1x4)+(1x3)+(1x2)]/35 = 29/35 = 0.83 out of 1.00

#5 ·
I can't comment previous cars on Chevrolet but from what I see from the reviews this Cruze is surely better built than Cobalts and rest of small competitors
My point is for the exterior :
body feels solid , I do hate plastic bumper covers but sadly most manufacturers do use them instead of chrome bumpers . Door handles feel tough not cheapish or crappy
Interior :
Door handles very quality build, and very ergonomic you can easily fit in your hands to open the doors , plastic chrome surrounding around the buttons is a good feature and looks very well .
Cloth is slightly feeling cheaper may be velvet would be good , if leather is available I would go for it
Gray area around the gear knob, console is feeling sporty but in long term it may peel off or discolor . Piano black trim is very lovely
A/C buttons , center console is very well designed

#8 ·
I have a friend who drives a Cobalt, and compared to it the Cruze is way better in terms of durability, both interior and exterior.

The problem I see IS with some of the interior plastics though. It has a dull finish to it that does make it look cheap, but I've driven other cars with supposedly "better" interior designs that ended up not holding up. I have a feeling the simplicity of this material might make it more durable. There's no glare coming from the top dash onto the windshield ona sunny day either, and that's a good thing.

That said it still looks cheap.

#9 ·
...the black plastic battery cover on our LTZ was broken as the car sat on the dealers' showroom floor. Wife pointed it out and the dealership immediately drove the car into the shop and "swapped" out the broken cover for a good cover from one of the other cars.

#13 ·
For my taste the Cruze is perfect in every area. I love my cloth dash and I have never seen that before. I have the black with the brick. The black makes a pattern over the brick underneath. I've had a lot of complements on it. I've recently taken a 5hr trip and was comfortable all the way. The form, fit, and function has been well thought out. You can tell that Chevy has make the attempt to put their best foot forward and it shows. I am not able to afford allot but I feel that I have gotten more than my moneys worth.

#15 ·
I just found this site (glad I did) so this is my first post here.

I have owed the 2011 Cruze LT Turbo for 1 month and have found it to be better than I anticipated in all areas so far.

In the past I mostly have purchased Toyota's and Nissan's Brand New (that's 6 of them). I have not purchased a GM made car in over 25 years (last one being a new 1980 Buick). I bought into all the Camry and Nissan HYPE over the years because of the reliability but I found that they had their on set of problems (see below).

For me I fell that Chevy has turned the corner and in my opinion may have surpassed these two. The styling looks great and everything has tight tolerances and appears well made.

The interior is very well layed out and sharp looking and at night looks amazing. Nothing cheap about it. In comparison to the other Japenese and Korean car makers the Chevy is on par if not better. I am actually very happy with the Cruze in terms of look and feel.

I have a Maxima and Camry and I have had numerous issues with them. Some minor and some major. A few problems are listed below just to show you that they are not as perfect as they put themselves out to be. So do some reasearch and don't just drink the juice.

On the Maxima GLE (top of the line) I had the Oxygen sensors go out right after the warranty expired ($350 repair). The brake rotors were warped at 55,000 miles and had to be replaced. The original tires had to be replaced at 22,000 miles. The Bose 6cd Stereo went out at 5,000 miles and out again at around 40,000 miles. That's about a $1200.00 stereo. An internet search will show that this is a major issue but not recognized by Nissan - go figure. There is also excessive wind noise in the car as well. So as you can see there are quality issues with Nissan's flagship car.

On the Camry LE (top model) I had major engine repairs around 50,000 miles. Hydraulic lifters went out as well The digital dash went out completely right after the warranty expired. Also had other small issues. Toyota has a lot of quality issues that past few years.

Three cars that I looked at before I settled on the Cruze.

1. Corolla - Has a small feel about it and the style is sub par. Nothing exciting about it.

2. Elantra - From a distance looked ok but after really looking at it I felt that it was cheaply made and not as powerful. I know a lot of people that have Hyndai's and everyone that I know has problems with them. Quality is not there. They only buy them because they can be had cheaper than most other brands but you will pay when it leaves you stranded.

3. Civic - Small car and looking at it side by side with the Cruze there is no comparison that the Cruze is sharper looking.

I really want the Cruze to work out well and hope that I don't have problems with it. I have checked everything, Interior, Under Carriage, Engine etc.. and it all appears very well designed and well layed out. I have the Turbo engine and I can't believe how much pickup this car has for a 4 cyl. From a design standpoint you can tell a lot of thought went into this car.

My only concern are the Firestone tires that came on this car. They are B/B tires- that is Temperture B and Tread B. I'm not a big fan of Firestone because in the past I had noting but problems with them. Then again I have never had any luck with new cars original tires anyway. But right now they give a very smooth ride and handle well so no complaints so far with these tires.

Attachments

#49 ·
I love my 2012 Chevy Cruze they drive so good and are supposed to be Chevrolet’s quietest cabin inside sedan cars made right now I read online on google I’ll back that one up because when I’m driving down the road I believe sometimes I could hear a pin drop inside my Cruze i can barely hear the engine when all four windows are closed
Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting

#19 ·
cruze interior

I have an ltz with the cocoa/neutral leather. I have to say the leather is very nice. I like the leather on the doors and dash-it's different and I think it looks pretty classy. I think the interior is great quality. The only part that I thought looked a little cheap was the plastic "hood" that is over the instrument cluster (do you know what I mean??) I like the chrome rings on the instrument cluster and chrome door handles on the ltz. My brother has a kia and it feels like I'm sitting in a roller skate - I definately don't feel that way in the Cruze. Also -someone mentioned tires earlier - my ltz came with michelin tires.

#20 · (Edited)
I have an LTZ with the cocoa/neutral leather. I have to say the leather is very nice. I like the leather on the doors and dash-it's different and I think it looks pretty classy. I think the interior is great quality. The only part that I thought looked a little cheap was the plastic "hood" that is over the instrument cluster (do you know what I mean??) I like the chrome rings on the instrument cluster and chrome door handles on the LTZ. My brother has a Kia and it feels like I'm sitting in a roller skate - I definately don't feel that way in the Cruze. Also -someone mentioned tires earlier - my LTZ came with Michelin tires.
...your Ice Blue/Cocoa-Neutral LTZ was the first choice that my wife wanted, but since the dealership had a Gold Mist/Cocoa-Neutral LTZ sitting on the showroom floor and we'd have to special-order an Ice Blue LTZ and wait for its' delivery(!), she settled for the Gold Mist and drove it off the lot that day, and she loves it.

...LTZ models come with Michelin 'Pilot' HX MXM4 P225/45R18 tires.

#21 ·
I had ordered a 2LT with all the options in Taupe gray and solid black interior (leather). When I got it I saw the cloth on the dash, thought it was weird to have cloth on a leather package. Bought and enjoy the car.
Then I heard that others don't have cloth on their dash and after doing some checking and looking around. Turns out if you get the two tone leather interior you get leather on the dash/door inserts, yet the solid option doesn't. They do this and charge the same amount for the vehicle.
I've yet to figure out why they do that. I even emailed Chev to ask if it was a hiccup in production or what. Was first told all 2LT's came with cloth on dash (they had to call the dealer to ask them..huh?). Went by dealer and saw a 2LT they got in after my purchase and it was two tone with leather. My salesman couldn't answer as to why. Called Chev back and pointed that out, week later they said that is the way they do it with their trim colors.
The sliding arm rest is a neat idea and really helps, just wish they made it so it would lock in place. I always seem to slide it back.

#23 ·
Interesting...both the cruze i bought and the one i test drove had two-tone leather so when i saw pics of the all black interior w leather i thought it looked like cloth on the dash. I wasn't sure I was seeing the pic right. That's odd-I wonder why they did that?
It has always been like that on the US Cruze. Do some research on the different Cruze interiors and you will see. Even the 2 versions of the 2-tone leather interiors are different in that the neutral has solid tan seats but the black/brick has 2-tone leather seats. There are only 3 color options for the leather interior and the solid black does and always did have the fabric parts of the dash & doors instead of the different color leather. People should research & know about what they are buying before buying it and then questioning the manufacturer or complaining about it.

Attachments

#25 ·
I understand what you are saying. I am also not too fond of the material on the dash but at least I am aware of it. I would not buy a car without knowing everything I can about it first. Hey... I'm strange that way.

What cars have a leather dash? All the cars I have known have leather seating surfaces which mean the dash, doors, even the backs of the seats are NOT leather, but vinyl. I never had a over $50K car so not sure about them. I am not very fond of the leather choices either. I prefer the two tone of the black/brick but do not like the brick color, wish it was a light gray. That's just me, everyone is different.

#26 · (Edited)
Ok so uh, I'm not sure why you think I'm complaining or that I bought a car without knowing about it...
All I said was that the cruze I have is cocoa/neutral leather and YES I know it has all tan seats cuz my ass sits on it daily. Also I said I test drove a two-tone interior one (happened to be black/brick). I had only seen the black interior in pictures and not in person. I also just wondered why they made the two tone ones with leather and the black ones with cloth. Never said anything about them not being made that way to begin with and all that. Not sure why this was a touchy issue for you??

#29 ·
"...plays nice with others?"

#30 ·
Cloth on the dash with leather? That is new to me. Mine is leather in both, and all the leather appointed Cruzes I've checke out while having service done on mine were the same.

Cruze99,

Very good write up and you are spot on. I've owned a two Nissans, a Mitsubishi, Honda and a Toyota as my only "foreign" vehicles. They were no better than my D3 cars then and they are no better now. The Nissans and Mitsubishi were junk. The Honda was good, but boring as ****. The Toy, well, it wasn't around long because it was like driving a go cart.