Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for others whose clutch has failed

63K views 182 replies 63 participants last post by  obermd 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just what the title says...I am looking for everybody that has had a clutch fail in their Chevy Cruze. I want to apologize for any confusion first of all from my original post. After my recent OEM clutch failure, my replacement of that assembly, my vocal stance on the web with forums, emails, and pictures of my failed clutch, and because i'm an active member on this forum, I was asked to gather data. I enjoy this type of project, so i agreed (plus i'm medically retired from the military so it gives me something to do.. haha). I was specifically asked for any data i could gather on california to take precedence, which is why i worded the post as i did. I would love to have data from everybody. Hope ya'll understand, i simply got my fingers in front of my brain ;)

I would like to hear from everybody, it doesn't matter if your clutch was replaced under warranty or you had to pay money to replace it.

Either engine is fine.

If your a forum member or you simply stumbled on this post while looking for help, please PM me or send me an email at drttrrcng@yahoo.com

Travis

#3 ·
OK, I gotta ask: If you are from Arkansas, why the interest in California?

#4 · (Edited)
Sorry I never called you yet. I haven't had to replace mine yet, but the high rpm grind has become more common on my 12 ECO. It hasn't slipped, but it also doesn't "bite" like it used to... at 4100 miles. I use the term bite lightly as it was never a real firm engagement.

I will have Trifecta installed hopefully by the end of the week, so I expect it will be sooner rather than later that the clutch will need replacing.

#9 ·
My clutch is okay so far. Keeping under 3000 RPM for most shifts certainly helps, as does launching right around 1500 RPM from a stoplight. I'm pretty gentle on it.

#10 ·
Clutch seems ok so far, no slip yet, and I have pushed the car pretty hard (updated Trifecta tune and 2 passengers and about 50 lbs in the trunk) full boost in upper gears climbing hills.

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
thanks Jim :)

had a computer malfunction earlier this week which cooked the CPU (cooling fan quit), and then had to roll up to tulsa for a few days with my daughters for xmas programs. I'm back and can see whats happening on this thread now.

I have had several others PM and private emails to me, so there is more than what your seeing here. The thread is working, although its not quite visible from the current posts.

UPDATE: Michigan and Ohio is now where i'm needing data from the most. Although I love hearing from everybody, including those in canada :) So if your out there, and you've had a clutch failure. PM me or drop me an email to

drttrrcng@yahoo.com

this is going great :)

#21 ·
Well to share my story I had my clutch fail spectacularly at 400km on the clock in May of 2011. No material left, everything burnt to ****. The dealer replaced it and GM compensated me well with a top level extended warranty and $200 in gas after a lot of bitching, complaining and threatening. I am currently at 35,500km since then and while it does not bite like it used to it still feels fine for now....

#23 ·
I really wanted to thank everyone for their comments and feed back through phone calls, emails and PM's. While i don't get contacted everyday, i tend to get several a week that don't show up here.

And i think i've talked to almost everyone thats posted on this thread via PM or phone, so most know whats going on here, with a few exceptions. And i'm really looking forward to being able to share in a more open format exactly the details of what we're putting together here. So keep contacting me folks.. if you have a failure. Drop me a email or PM :)

Skilz, that pic is incredible.. and it looks VERY familiar to some others i've received, forgot to mention that in the PM.. haha

drttrrcng@yahoo.com for those that don't have a cruzetalk account
all others just PM me :)

Travis

#25 ·
I got a call today from the dealer I originally took my Cruze to for shifting issues. Turns out that GM is looking harder at the issues the transmission is having, and has some kind of investigation going with at least one field engineer looking at funny-shifting cars. I'm booked in next week to have the dealer drive the car, and see if it warrants further action.

#27 ·
Update on my visit to the dealer: There was a just off the truck 2012 Eco MT with 1 mile on it sitting on their lot. We drove mine, then they were persuaded to drive the brand-new Eco MT. I got to drive the new Eco with the service adviser riding shotgun. We traversed the same route we had done in my car. The transmission shifted the same as my Eco with many thousand more miles on it. It looks like either all the Eco MT's have issues, or I'm being picky with the shift quality. I think I'm being picky. Some folks have had legitimate issues to be sure. After driving that new car, what I thought was an issue with my car was shown to be normal. It was an eye-opener, to be sure.

Now I know it's just me, and not my car. I'm feeling quite relieved.

Not the response this thread was looking for, and I'd figure I'd update instead of keeping the seemingly contrary experience to myself.

#28 ·
I just had my oil & breaks checked last week at the dealership and this week, this grinding sound started. When the car idles, if you push the clutch, you can hear it. It is worse when driving and changing into 5th & 6th gear. Hopefully they wont me any grief as we do have a great GM dealership here in the Maritimes. I will keep you posted but after reading the posts here, yikes! I have 45K on my Cruze and it is all highway mileage.

#30 ·
I think thats about 28k miles, and sadly even working with the precedence set by the class action lawsuit hyundai got slapped with for the defective clutch assemblies in 2003, for which the ruling was anything under 25k miles is considered to be premature. Your even over that.. :( not to mention that i've only had one person over 12k miles contact me that got theirs replaced without charge and she had 14k.

But knowing what i know about the technical reasons why these assemblies are defective, i'm very impressed you got that many miles out of your clutch, I know thats not much comfort. And i hate being the negative one, but I don't think your gonna get out of paying some money on this one. If you do, definitely let me know... because there are several individuals from canada that have contacted me, one gentleman had about about 1500 miles on his car if i remember right and the bill was 2300 canadian.

If it comes down to having to lay out that kind of money for a replacement. I HIGHLY suggest you contact clutch masters in california and order a whole new assembly from them. flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, just go with a stage 1 or 2 if your feeling frisky. Your outlay of cash will end up being about the same unless you install it yourself (i did mine but i'm weird like that and pulling the front end apart on a brand new car doesn't bother me). But the aftermarket assembly will be of significantly higher quality that what the OEM one will be, plus there is the possibility that with the OEM replacement you'll just get another defective unit. So if your gonna have to fix it.. fix it correctly and never worry about it again.

Travis

#31 ·
Seeing this thread scares me a bit since I just bought a new 2012 Cruze Eco MT on Monday of last week. I have just over 250 miles on it now, but I'm pretty worried about the kind of issues I'm seeing here.

Exactly how common is this clutch failure? Is this happening to everyone? Is it certain years, certain models?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.