Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Need a simple favor

Tags
favor simple
3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  hawk 
#1 ·
Crank your Cruze, turn on air conditioning and fan on three with air on fresh..or the straight arrow. Then push the recirculation button. Does it get louder and blow more air. (without touching any other button)? All the cars I've ever had before does, but my cruze does not so I wonder if it is actually changing form one setting to the other.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Hawk

#4 ·
Sure can feel the difference in cold weather before the engine is hot, recir gets its air from the interior of the vehicle that is much warmer than an Arctic blast from the outside. Car warms up much faster, but can't leave it in recir very long, windows start fogging up.

Another test will be on a hot day when running the AC, will find your car will cool much quicker in recir mode and removes the moisture that much faster. This doesn't fog up the windows.

Yes, it quieter than other cars I have owned. Actually hit 78*F a couple of days ago, weird in March. Had to try out the AC, works great, wife said turn it off, getting too cold. LOL, told her to switch on her electric seat, just kidding, switched it to low.

#5 ·
My first 2011 Cruze behaved like yours. I had the filing it wasn’t normal. So when I went to the car wash I realized that the smell of chemicals came inside without any problem. I went to the dealer and they replaced the actuator. My new 2012 it’s working “normal”. I could hear the sound difference from the very first day and in the car was no bad smells are coming thru.

#6 ·
Try living in the desert!!

I'm dogsitting for my sister, and one day i turned my car on to find this:
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Family car

it was only 91, but the sensor was sitting in the sun long enough to reach that. I could only imagine leaving it in the summer and having it read 150+ when its 100-110 outside.

#7 ·
...that's the outside air temperature number, I believe.

...the actual a/c-setting number should be in the middle of the display and have slightly bigger (bolded) numbers.

#12 ·
In the heat, it took my car a good 30-60 seconds to actually start cooling the air.

It actually felt a little long for the cooling to finally kick in, but it could have just been me.

EDIT: as a tip to cool your car down in the heat, put all your windows down, until cold air has been going for a good 1-5 minutes. Yes the cold air goes out the windows, but it also sucks the standing heated air inside your car out of the car, leaving room for the cold air only.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies all....I'm thinking somethings wrong..Our Maibu wails when on recirc...and is also colder on the recirc setting. On the Cruze can't "feel" or hear any difference...

I'm an air nut and I like it cold lol...t was 84 today and it keeps up but I like that quick hitting blast. You also can smell the fresh air after you've had it on recirculate awhile and turn it back to normal...I'm not smelling that either...so most it may be stuck one way or the other..

Thanks again for the quick help...

#13 ·
hawk,
If you feel you are having an issue with your air I would suggest that you take your Cruze into the dealership and have them look into this for you. Please keep me posted on this issue. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

#9 ·
...does your Malibu have a cabin filter like the Cruze does?

#11 ·
...sometimes a clogged cabin filter can 'mute' the difference between inside & outside air flow circulations.

#15 ·
Ok, I got the "we couldn't find anything wrong". Even though I cannot hear the fan change tones or violumes at all. I drove today after I got the car back with a thermomiter in one of the vents...There was no change in temps after a five minutes of driving in each mode......

Its probably going back very soon because I know what I know...;)...To make matters worse I had to drive a worn out Caliber back to work lol...

#16 ·
going back to dealer wednesday..I tried it again today drove 5 miles with outside air and monitored air temp at the vent and then did the same five miles with on recirculate button on and the exact same temp out of the vents....no difference in sound or smell etc...

#17 ·
hawk,
Thank you for keeping us posted on this issue. I would like it if you would continue to do so. I understand that this can be frustrating. If you have any further questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.
Thank you,
Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

#19 ·
Ok they put new part in car said its fixed...Seems I could tell a differnce in tone before I left the dealer...Then later that day tried it agin and same as before no difference.

To me it seems there is something wrong that recirc and non recirc all have the same tone and output tempature..Also like others have said, fan speeds 1, 2,3 are really slow and 4 is a wind tunnel speed.

I guess I'll go back to the dealer lol...it is sad that the Malibu air works ten times better than the Cruze...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.