I unscrewed my whip antenna, ha, easy to steal.
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I unscrewed my whip antenna, ha, easy to steal.

Aesop

I unscrewed my whip antenna, ha, easy to steal.

Just to learn what happens on a drive. First went to XM, thought that would be dead, but that guy came through loud and clear telling me what I am missing with that toll free number showing up clearly on the radio screen.

Then I tried our four remaining AM stations, all came through loud and clear. FM picked up stations clear 50 miles aways, one that I know is 70 miles away was breaking up a little, but still audible.

Then I tried calling my wife via bluetooth, guess that disables the transmitter in my phone, couldn't get through, works fine with bluetooth disabled, but not with that antenna off.

Didn't try calling OnStar, ha, if I did, would be in for a long sales pitch, but that green ready LED was on, so assume that also works.

So what is the purpose of that whip antenna? My only conclusion was for hands off calling. MP3's still worked great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Was wondering the same thing. Ended up taking it off on the weekend to see what it would look like. I don't listen to the radio much, and use my phone to make calls, so would there be any issue with just leaving it off?

Yeah I tried the same thing before installing my shark fin. Everything worked perfect. I think all the electronics are in the base. The whip is just an extension. But judging from the practical test it's a bit useless lol.

Any idea if there would be any damage to it without the antenna on it. I didn't take a good overhead look to see if it's fully enclosed where it screws in. Would just worry about water getting inside it.

Resident Secret Lover
    In that csae, just plug it with a rubber stopper. I'd rather buy the shark fin than leave it open...
    No longer own a Cruze and still help where I can, message me anytime, for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by ME
    We are more than enthusiasts. We are Believers.
    Now running a 2013 Malibu 1LT and saving to restore a '69 Camaro.

...most drive-thru car washes routinely "remove" all antennas so: (1) they don't tangle-up their whirling brushes and (2) they don't get broken off by those whirling brushes.

P.S.--so, always check your antenna after a car wash, it might be loose!
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 1.4LT 6A
    2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/SFI 4A
    2004 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L/MFI 4A

1971 Dodge Charger 318 3A
    1970 Plymouth AAR 'Cuda 340/6BBL 4M
    1968 Dodge Charger 383 3A
    1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 383 4M
    1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula-S 273 4M

pictures!?!?!?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by wstadnick View Post
    Was wondering the same thing. Ended up taking it off on the weekend to see what it would look like. I don't listen to the radio much, and use my phone to make calls, so would there be any issue with just leaving it off?
    That is why some of us replaced with the shark fin other than styling. My reception is no better or worse with the fin vs the whip antenna and don't make calls with my car. Don't need to remove for car washes any more. LOL With the whip, my car was more readily visible in parking lots, but I still seem to locate my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    That is why some of us replaced with the shark fin other than styling. My reception is no better or worse with the fin vs the whip antenna and don't make calls with my car. Don't need to remove for car washes any more. LOL With the whip, my car was more readily visible in parking lots, but I still seem to locate my car.
    Lol I like how you used the whip to find the car. Did you put a little florescent yellow ball on the end of it to enhance the visibility factor? :P

I've had it off since the second week I've owned the car. Not a single difference in radio, xm or onstar but I don't use any of those so it doesn't really matter.
    Gotta find a stopper for it.

Call it the "Free Dildo Delete"!
    Lol
    ^Usually sarcasm.

If anything I say offends you... you might need a snickers.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast