No power washing the engine... - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: No power washing the engine...

I don't use car washes either. You're going to wear off the wax far quicker with a power washer at those pressures than just a bucket and a hose.

Ultimately, if you're comfortable with it, more power to you. I prefer the old fashioned way and have never had an issue with swirls from washing with a bucket and a microfiber sponge.

'12 Cruze Eco 6M Topaz Blue

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Guys just ask your dealer to clean your engine on you're next service.
    I always took my Lexus to a Chevy dealer because oil changes were cheaper and they would steam clean my engine for free.
    ^Usually sarcasm.

If anything I say offends you... you might need a snickers.

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    I don't use car washes either. You're going to wear off the wax far quicker with a power washer at those pressures than just a bucket and a hose.

Ultimately, if you're comfortable with it, more power to you. I prefer the old fashioned way and have never had an issue with swirls from washing with a bucket and a microfiber sponge.
    That's the pressure at the nozzle, not the pressure 1 foot away where I usually wash.

Ask-A-Pro: Pressure Washers – Detailed Image

Power washers do not wear off was far quicker than doing it by hand.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

this is some info I could learn from I have never really washed an engine alway been afraid of all the electrical stuff especially with newer cars, what would be some tips on washing my engine. considering I wont be getting much service done at the dealer I probably wont be having them clean the engine... who knows if me dealer would even do it haha...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.com App
    2012 ECO "Silver Bullet"
    OPT: 6MT, Prem Audio, Fogs
    UG: K&N SRI, Tint, UR FSB
    C/S:???

Previous Wips:
    04 Chevy AVY(Gas Guzler), OWNd: 08-12 trade 4 ECO
    07 Dodge Charger(2.7l), OWNd:09-11 Sold
    71 Chevy Nova, OWNd:09-10 Sold
    99 Mitsubishi 3000GT, OWNd:08-09 Sold
    93 Dodge Stealth RT Turbo(Beast MODE), OWNd:06-09 Sold
    01 Dodge Neon RT Motorsports Edition, OWNd: Mar05-Dec05 TOTALED
    www.gm1point4.com Global Moderator

Learning about my Cruze
    I would NEVER power wash or steam clean the engine not- at least not anything with more than a coil and an old-fashioned distributor. Even then I would cover those things. If I absolutely had to clean under the hood, use something like S100 and a garden hose, then start and run the engine immediatly after cleaning.

Jim

What about using something like Simple Green on the engine? Then just hosing it off gently?

Learning about my Cruze
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUV View Post
    What about using something like Simple Green on the engine? Then just hosing it off gently?
    simple green is great for stuff like that. spray it on. let it sit for a few. rinse it off. i think the spray on engine degreaser is a little stronger if your cleaning an engine that is really nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by parish8 View Post
    simple green is great for stuff like that. spray it on. let it sit for a few. rinse it off. i think the spray on engine degreaser is a little stronger if your cleaning an engine that is really nasty.
    This ^^ is exactly how a buddy of mine keeps his LS1 Camaro engine spotless. He sprays Simple Green onto a SLIGHTLY warm engine, lets it sit for a few minutes, then gently hoses it off. Once done, he'll crank and idle for a few minutes to allow for some drying. Done deal and the engine still looks showroom clean.

2012 Cruze LTZ/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
    1996 Trans AM LT1/M6
    1998 Pontiac Sunfire (Gone - but not forgotten!)
    2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

Aesop
    Is safe to remove the air cleaner, less filter and clean that up nice in your laundry tub using soap and water.

Major concern with electronics and wiring are all these nanoampere signals floating around where moisture can short them out. With insulation displacement connectors on bare copper wire, and moisture, those would turn green, copper oxide, that is an excellent insulator. Other concerns are the idiots that designed your logic, we always dipped our electronics in a salt water solution powered up to test our short circuit I/O protection circuits. Of course the circuit would die, but rinse it off in fresh water, hang it up on the line to dry. They all had to be fully operational again.

But without that short circuit protection, these way overpriced electronics could be permanently internally shorted out. And you don't know if it was protected or not, if not, you found out way too late. Just clean at most with a slightly damp rag to get most of the dust off. We use to use the absolute minimum of plated stranded 16AWG wire, not for the current carrying capacity, but because it was robust. Add this practice to your history books. Find lots of bare copper 28AWG wire in these newer vehicles.
    gman19 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Major concern with electronics and wiring are all these nanoampere signals floating around where moisture can short them out.
    I hadn't even considered this...but yes, there are a lot of parasitic currents running around in our vehicles even whilst sitting parked!

2012 Cruze LTZ/RS Crystal Red Tintcoat
    1996 Trans AM LT1/M6
    1998 Pontiac Sunfire (Gone - but not forgotten!)
    2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast