Thermostat issues on 2011 cruze

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermostat issues on 2011 cruze

Driver's Ed

Thermostat issues on 2011 cruze

Bought my cruze about a year ago this month. Last few weeks the check engine light has been coming on, stay on for a few days and then go off for a few days. Thought it was related to the gas cap as it seem to happen when I filled up. Went in for my oil change today and they pulled off the code and said it was related to the thermostat. Thinking back, seems like I did hear like a fan running loudly sometimes so not sure if the two are related. Anyways they ordered the part and the service person said I could get a loaner car for the day when I have to get it installed. So no biggie, just glad it happened under warranty. Other then this I've had no issues with her and she's been a great car. She's my daily commute car and I've put 14k on the car in a year, hopefully she'll last for awhile!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    I had the same exact problem and yes it was my thermostat as well haha. No biggie. Warranty covered it

Handbrake Released
    Glad the warranty covered it!!

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    I am happy to hear that you have had this issue taken care of. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

Driver's Ed
    Now my cruze is in the shop for a bad tranny and it only has 15000 miles on it. There having to put a whole bran new one in.

Driver's Ed
    Update on this, still waiting for the postcard to come in which I guess tells me the part is in. Anyways I was driving to work on the following Monday and the Service TPMS System message came up. The back two tires aren't showing up now. I was going to wait to tell them about that when I schedule them to have my thermostat installed. I'm guessing they messed something up when doing the tire rotation. Is this something serious that they won't be able to repair if I don't let them know ahead of time? My check engine light hasn't came back up since though.

Aesop
    To me, a guy that always checks his tire pressures, another expensive pain in the but with this tire monitoring system. But the system has to be relearned when rotating tires.

From the owners manual:

"The TPMS sensor matching
    process is:
    1. Set the parking brake.
    2. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with
    the engine off.
    3. Use the MENU button to select
    the Vehicle Information menu in
    the Driver Information
    Center (DIC).
    4. Use the thumbwheel to scroll to
    the Tire Pressure menu item
    screen.
    5. Press the SET/CLR button to
    begin the sensor matching
    process.
    A message requesting
    acceptance of the process
    should display.
    6. Press the SET/CLR button again
    to confirm the selection.
    The horn sounds twice to signal
    the receiver is in relearn mode
    and the TIRE LEARNING
    ACTIVE message displays on
    the DIC screen.
    7. Start with the driver side
    front tire.
    8. Place the relearn tool against
    the tire sidewall, near the valve
    stem. Then press the button to
    activate the TPMS sensor.
    A horn chirp confirms that the
    sensor identification code has
    been matched to this tire and
    wheel position.
    9. Proceed to the passenger side
    front tire, and repeat the
    procedure in Step 8.
    10. Proceed to the passenger side
    rear tire, and repeat the
    procedure in Step 8.
    11. Proceed to the driver side rear
    tire, and repeat the procedure
    in Step 8. The horn sounds
    two times to indicate the
    sensor identification code has
    been matched to the driver
    side rear tire, and the TPMS
    sensor matching process is no
    longer active. The TIRE
    LEARNING ACTIVE message
    on the DIC display screen
    goes off.
    12. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.
    13. Set all four tires to the
    recommended air pressure
    level as indicated on the Tire
    and Loading Information label."

Would think this should be done by the guy you paid to rotate your tires, but with an oil change and a grease job, they won't spray your rubber bushings with silicone and be damned lucky if they even bother to change the oil filter.

Just like you can't buy a spare key for under a buck, can't buy a new tire valve stem for a buck. Price is at least 35 bucks for a new one, and those batteries are not replaceable and do go dead.

But the tire monitoring system in the USA is the law augmented by the simple fact, can't even hardly find a convenience gas station that has air. If you can find one, make sure you have a pressure gauge with you. If you don't have a spare, have to be very careful with what kind of can you buy to put some air in those tires, will wreck that sensor.

Yeah, I knew all this stuff before buying a Cruze, but at least the car came with a new drive belt. With that clunker program, used vehicles skyrocketed and couldn't find anything but pure unadulterated junk at outrageous prices.

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by benefactr View Post
    Bought my cruze about a year ago this month. Last few weeks the check engine light has been coming on, stay on for a few days and then go off for a few days. Thought it was related to the gas cap as it seem to happen when I filled up. Went in for my oil change today and they pulled off the code and said it was related to the thermostat. Thinking back, seems like I did hear like a fan running loudly sometimes so not sure if the two are related. Anyways they ordered the part and the service person said I could get a loaner car for the day when I have to get it installed. So no biggie, just glad it happened under warranty. Other then this I've had no issues with her and she's been a great car. She's my daily commute car and I've put 14k on the car in a year, hopefully she'll last for awhile!
    I received codes P0598 and P0599. Exact same symptoms as the fan was running loudly. My thermostat was stuck open. 17k miles on a 2011 Cruze. They replaced the Thermostat Assembly.

Driver's Ed

andnem2

I am having the exact same thing with my 2011 Cruze thermostat and will be dropping it off today.

Driver's Ed
    Our check engine light just came on and in checking with OnStar we have a thermostat problem too. But, with over 80, 000 miles - yes we do a lot of driving -- we really cannot complain.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.