Cruze Transmission Problems
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Cruze Transmission Problems

Driver's Ed

Cruze Transmission Problems

I have taken my 2011 Cruze to a dealer several (at least 4) times because of transmission problems. They have not been able to find anything wrong with the transmission. But, they have updated the software which did help some, but I still do not feel the transmission shifts correctly. The car has 32,000 miles on it. All of the recalls have been performed.

Today when I went to pickup my daughter, I started the car and backed out of the driveway. When I put the car in drive, the Service Stabilitrack warning was displayed as was the Service Traction Control warning. The vehicle would drive in reverse just fine, but accelerated super slowly in drive. And, I was not able to put the transmission into manual mode.

When my wife got home with my daughter, I tried to drive the vehicle again and the only problem I noticed is the transmission seems to be surging (engaging and disengaging). This is especially noticeable at low speed when taking your foot off the accelerator and not pressing the brake pedal immediately. The service engine light is on now.

From what I have read, when those warnings are displayed, the vehicle goes into "limp home" mode. I live about 90 minutes from the dealer who performs all of the service on my vehicle. In your opinion, is it safe to drive the vehicle to the dealer, or should I arrange to have the vehicle taken to the dealer?

Is it just time to give up on the Cruze? My biggest concern is if I am having this many problems with the vehicle at 32,000 miles, how many more times will it be in the shop for an engine/powertrain problems before reaching the 100,000 mile mark?

Thank you for all your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Retired Moderator

Engine light is on, stability control light is on, the car doesn't move, it's time to call roadside assistance and tell them to pick up the car in your driveway. I wouldn't trust that car to make it to the dealer.
    spacedout and obermd like this.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Off-Road Champion
    Three suggestions in addition to what Sciphi offered.
    1. Contact Chevrolet Customer Service and open a complaint. Be sure to get the claim number for future reference.
    2. PM the Chevy Social Media Representative with the issues and infromation.
    3. File a complaint with NHTSA if you are in the US.

I think your dealer's service department is incompetent and you might benefit from having another dealership look at the car. I don't know if that is an option for you.
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    15,300 Mi., Avg. MPG: 34 City; 45 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    23 months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.

I'm not apathetic, I'm just too old to matter anymore.
    45,316 September '14 YTD

Driver's Ed
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will call road side assistance tomorrow and get a tow setup.

I have already opened a claim with Chevrolet Customer Service, and I am waiting for them to call me. I filed the complaint yesterday afternoon so I do not expect to hear anything until tomorrow. I will PM the Chevy Social Media Representative in a few minutes. And, I will file a complaint with NHTSA.

Thank you again for all your help. And, I will let you know what happens.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by nv0i View Post
    I have taken my 2011 Cruze to a dealer several (at least 4) times because of transmission problems. They have not been able to find anything wrong with the transmission. But, they have updated the software which did help some, but I still do not feel the transmission shifts correctly. The car has 32,000 miles on it. All of the recalls have been performed.

Today when I went to pickup my daughter, I started the car and backed out of the driveway. When I put the car in drive, the Service Stabilitrack warning was displayed as was the Service Traction Control warning. The vehicle would drive in reverse just fine, but accelerated super slowly in drive. And, I was not able to put the transmission into manual mode.

When my wife got home with my daughter, I tried to drive the vehicle again and the only problem I noticed is the transmission seems to be surging (engaging and disengaging). This is especially noticeable at low speed when taking your foot off the accelerator and not pressing the brake pedal immediately. The service engine light is on now.

From what I have read, when those warnings are displayed, the vehicle goes into "limp home" mode. I live about 90 minutes from the dealer who performs all of the service on my vehicle. In your opinion, is it safe to drive the vehicle to the dealer, or should I arrange to have the vehicle taken to the dealer?

Is it just time to give up on the Cruze? My biggest concern is if I am having this many problems with the vehicle at 32,000 miles, how many more times will it be in the shop for an engine/powertrain problems before reaching the 100,000 mile mark?

Thank you for all your help.

nv0i,
    I would like to apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your Cruze. I have sent you an email to follow up with you. I look forward to hearing back from you as well as assisting you with your concerns. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

Driver's Ed
    I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze that is automatic, that I have only had for about 5 months now and it only has about 3600 miles on it, I have noticed that it hesitates to shift and shifts hard from 1-2 and 2-3, it also gets up to 3000 rpm's before shifting about 50% of the time. Also, if I drive it as a manual it down shifts extremely hard into 1st gear. In the five months I have had this car I have taken it to two different dealerships to try to get the transmission fixed. The first dealership did some programming updates which didn't fix anything and they couldn't replicate any of the issues. The second dealership said there is definitely something wrong but couldn't fix anything because they couldn't replicate the issues either. Chevy needs to hurry up and figure out what is wrong with these cars, because right now this car has just been a waste of money because it doesn't drive well and is not enjoyable to drive so I have been driving a '98 Mustang that drives great.
    Last edited by elf_ohiostate09; 10-06-2012 at 01:44 AM.
    fastdriver and Starks8 like this.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by elf_ohiostate09 View Post
    I have a 2011Chevy Cruze that is automatic, that I have only had for about 5 months nowand it only has about 3600 miles on it, I have noticed that it hesitates to shift and shifts hard from 1-2 and 2-3, it also gets up to 3000 rpm's before shifting about 50% of the time. Also, if I drive it as a manual it down shifts extremely hard into 1st gear. In the five months I have had this car I have taken it to two different dealerships to try to get the transmission fixed. The first dealership did some programming updates which didn't fix anything and they couldn't replicate any of the issues. The second dealership said there is definately something wrong but couldn't fix anything because they couldn't replicate the issues either. Chevy needs to hurry up and figure out what is wrong with these cars, because right now this car has just been a waste of money because it doesn't drive and is not enjoyable to drive so I have been driving a '98 Mustang that drives great.

elf_ohiostate09,
    I understand your concerns and frustrations with the issues that you are experiencing with your Cruze. I would like to look into this further for you. Can you please send me a PM with your VIN? I look forward to hearing back from you.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elf_ohiostate09 View Post
    I have a 2011Chevy Cruze that is automatic, that I have only had for about 5 months nowand it only has about 3600 miles on it, I have noticed that it hesitates to shift and shifts hard from 1-2 and 2-3, it also gets up to 3000 rpm's before shifting about 50% of the time. Also, if I drive it as a manual it down shifts extremely hard into 1st gear. In the five months I have had this car I have taken it to two different dealerships to try to get the transmission fixed. The first dealership did some programming updates which didn't fix anything and they couldn't replicate any of the issues. The second dealership said there is definately something wrong but couldn't fix anything because they couldn't replicate the issues either. Chevy needs to hurry up and figure out what is wrong with these cars, because right now this car has just been a waste of money because it doesn't drive and is not enjoyable to drive so I have been driving a '98 Mustang that drives great.

I think all of us 2011 Cruze owners have the SAME problems with our transmissions. I am just SO happy that my car is a LEASE! Any loss in value falls on GM and NOT me! The dealers are really useless to help through no fault of their own because the PROBLEM lies with GM admitting that the 2011 tranny is a problem. Does ANYONE really expect GM to admit that? They'd have to recall 200,000-300,000 whatever Cruzes and fix the cars once and for all! That will NEVER happen UNLESS the NHTSA steps in.. Until then they will keep us going back and forth to the dealer wasting their time AND ours! My TCM was replaced in August with 10,196 miles on my car. I now have 11,347 and it's still QUIRKY AND it does NOT always GO when I step on the gas! The next thing that GM is going to do is put a "date recorder" on my car because these events are ERRATIC. SUPPOSEDLY this will record what is happening with the transmission. Sounds like what Progressive Insurance puts on your car to supposedly LOWER your insurance rates?

Anyway, I will go along with this to see if this changes anything, but I don't hold out much hope. To me, the only hope of having a car that shifts the way it should AND goes when you step on the gas is to get a new transmission. I don't see that happening unless this transmission goes! Once I reach the end of my rope, I will file a complaint with the NHTSA because I consider the lack of acceleration when I step on the gas a definite safety issue especially since I almost got hit by a bus 2 weeks ago.

Stay tuned. I will surely post again in one of the tranny topics here, much to the dismay of many here most likely. Oh well- C'est la vie!
    Last edited by fastdriver; 10-05-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    Starks8 and sheleb1 like this.

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdriver View Post
    it's still QUIRKY AND it does NOT always GO when I step on the gas!
    This was the final deciding factor for me to trade the Cruze. I really did like the styling, and even though it had a few other problems, having the car decide not go when I NEEDED it to go to get out into traffic was it for me. Hope the recorder provides the right info to get your problem corrected.
    fastdriver and Starks8 like this.
    2012 Altima 2.5SL Dark Slate
    2012 370Z Base Gun Metallic

This looks bad I wonder why GM has not replaced the Auto Trans but keeps on wasting customers time going to the dealer.
    fastdriver likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast