Chevy Cruze USB Flash drive support
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chevy Cruze USB Flash drive support

Driver's Ed

Question Chevy Cruze USB Flash drive support

I looked through the USB support Corporate Bulletin #09-08-44-013C, and didn't get any specific answers. From what I gather, any flash drive should work, but only certain mp3 players work.

I have a generic hp 8gb flash drive, with all of my music on it in mp3 format. I believe the bit rate is 320, if i remember correctly. Its not the best, because the aftermarket radio in my truck didnt support the higher bit rates.
    Now on to my issue,

I put the drive into the cruze, and it comes up and says drive not supported, you can click done, and it goes back to playing the radio. If you dont click done, just wait about two or three seconds, then a screen shows up with the USB drive and the name of the flash drive (like it should when switching inputs), just for a second. Then it shows a song title/artist and such, and plays the song for about one second. Then goes back to playing the radio

I tried cycling through the devices but it doesn't show up anymore. If you pull the flash drive out, then reinsert it, it does the same thing. Even playing where it left off the first second. I have listened to the first five seconds this way.

Is there a certain way the files have to be located? Can they not be in folders? I deleted a couple word documents off of the flash drive in case it was seeing those and saying not supported. Only thing on there is mp3s sorted in folders by album and artist. Ripped from my cds with windows media player. Im wondering if there are some hidden files (like album covers or something) on there that could be conflicting? Anyone know if you can have other documents on a flash drive with music work on a gm radio? The ipod works fine in the car, and the flash drive works in everything else...Ideas?
    Last edited by BustedCrank; 01-29-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    2011 Cruze Eco. 6M, Imperial Blue. GM fog light kit.
    Belongs to the better half

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed

Smile Usb

Quote Originally Posted by BustedCrank View Post
    I looked through the USB support Corporate Bulletin #09-08-44-013C, and didn't get any specific answers. From what I gather, any flash drive should work, but only certain mp3 players work.

I have a generic hp 8gb flash drive, with all of my music on it in mp3 format. I believe the bit rate is 320, if i remember correctly. Its not the best, because the aftermarket radio in my truck didnt support the higher bit rates.
    Now on to my issue,

I put the drive into the cruze, and it comes up and says drive not supported, you can click done, and it goes back to playing the radio. If you dont click done, just wait about two or three seconds, then a screen shows up with the USB drive and the name of the flash drive (like it should when switching inputs), just for a second. Then it shows a song title/artist and such, and plays the song for about one second. Then goes back to playing the radio

I tried cycling through the devices but it doesn't show up anymore. If you pull the flash drive out, then reinsert it, it does the same thing. Even playing where it left off the first second. I have listened to the first five seconds this way.

Is there a certain way the files have to be located? Can they not be in folders? I deleted a couple word documents off of the flash drive in case it was seeing those and saying not supported. Only thing on there is mp3s sorted in folders by album and artist. Ripped from my cds with windows media player. Im wondering if there are some hidden files (like album covers or something) on there that could be conflicting? Anyone know if you can have other documents on a flash drive with music work on a gm radio? The ipod works fine in the car, and the flash drive works in everything else...Ideas?

Hi hope I can help you out....First of all check to see if your usb drive is formatted to FAT 32 not NTFS....For some reason FAT 32 is the standard for most of these usb readers...Start off with just one mp3 file to see if it works..I use a 8 gig kingston at FAT 32 and i can put folders and subfolders and it works fine...Try to use a different mp3 ripper other than windows media player..I use EAC and cdngo and dbpower amp...Hope it helps...

Driver's Ed
    I will check that, i think it is FAT 32. But i will check for sure, and try using something else to rip the music with. Thanks
    Dennis_Mn likes this.

3rd Gear
    I formatted my 3 generic USB FAT. 2-4 GB. Work fine. No folders.

Driver's Ed
    What program did you use to rip the music? do you rememeber what bit rate they are?

I double checked and mine is fat 32, going to try ripping with something else...

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by BustedCrank View Post
    What program did you use to rip the music? do you rememeber what bit rate they are?

I double checked and mine is fat 32, going to try ripping with something else...

I use Exact Audio Copy for the most part and also use cdngo and dbpoweramp...There are so many to choose from but those are ones i used with success..I usually set the bit rate to 192 constant bit rate..But have tried Variable from 32 to 320 and they all work fine as well...Make sure that USB drive doesn't have some kind of extra security built in to it..I had a Verbatim with extra stuff built into the drive that I couldn't erase and it would give me errors in the car all the time..

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy227 View Post
    .Make sure that USB drive doesn't have some kind of extra security built in to it..I had a Verbatim with extra stuff built into the drive that I couldn't erase and it would give me errors in the car all the time..
    Agreed, get rid of (format) any "special" software. Many of these USB sticks have programs from their web site that can remove the proprietary programs.

Driver's Ed

order of songs

So glad I found this flash drive idea! I have an old ipod that won't work with my Cruze. I'm just wondering how you "stop" the drive? Or do I need to? If I switch to a different aux, I'm assuming it sort of disconnects the drive? I don't need to do something to eject it like I do on a computer, do i? And do the songs play in the order they're loaded? I've only tried one song, so haven't delved deeper. Is there a way to shuffle, or will it just play through the folders and files in order?

thanks!

Using a USB drive is super easy. No you do not need to disconnect the drive at all. When you want to listen to the radio or CD you just change the input. When you change the input back to USB it picks up where it left off.
    You select the songs you want to play via Artist, Album, Song, Genre just like you would with your regular Ipod. Yes you can shuffle as well if you want to. You can shuffle within a artist or album, or you can shuffle all the songs on the drive.
    Its a really intuitive interface, you will like it.

Driver's Ed
    Is there any max on the size of usb stick that is compatible? I want to buy a big one just not sure if I get one tooooo big it may not work?

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast