Power outlets
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Thread: Power outlets

Driver's Ed

Power outlets

The power outlets turn on only when the key is in the on position. I there a way to override this and have them on all the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Aesop
    Without modifying your vehicle can buy one of these.

Even a solar panel mounted on your roof to keep it charged.

Other than that, have to unsnap your console and run a wire directly to your batter or some other always hot wire and use a 25 amp fuse.

Could trade it off for a 2004 Cavalier, those outlets are always hot, but not an 88 Supra, outlets switch off with the key. These guys must flip a coin to decide whether to switch these outlets off or not, certainly no logic involved.

Wife's cell phone went dead while I was driving, carried along a DC charger so she could use it. Asked about charging it at our destination, said no, but also brought an AC charger with us. Getting too lazy to make all these changes car after car after car.

Driver's Ed
    Before I got my Cruze I had an HHR and the power outlets were always live, but like you guys said the ones in the Cruze are only active with the ignition switch. I suppose there are pros and cons of both. I miss being able to just leave my cell phone plugged in to charge while I'm out somewhere, but then again it's probably not too wise to just leave things plugged in and unattended. Some cell chargers can get very hot. When you turn the ignition off though the outlets stay live for about 10 minutes, along with the radio and other electronics in the car. "Retained accessory power" I think it's called...

Buy a cheap 12-V Power Block from Walmart. Get an add a circuit fuse. Cut off the cigarette lighter adapter and hard wire it into the add-a-circuit fuse and ground it on a bolt on the the center console. Hide the wiring, run it to the fuse box and find something that is always on like On-Star.

Probably cost you $20 to do it.

Problem Solved.

2012 Chevy Cruze ECO - 6MT - Autumn Mettalic/Black Interior
    30/15 Tint - CF Front/Rear Emblem - CF Door Pillars - Debadged
    Blue LED Interior - CF Steering Wheel Emblem - Plasti-Dip Stuff
    K&N SR Intake - Trifecta Tuned
    Pictures Can Be Seen In My Garage

Aesop
    In the instrument panel fuse panel, fuse 6 is the cigar lighter socket, 7 is the power outlet. Have to find which end of those fuse terminate at the sockets. So far this eliminates tearing apart the console.

According to the shop manual, the high sides of fuses 6 and 7 are tied together and go to a relay mounted on that same fuse panel. A bit confusing as the shop manuals shows that as KR7C, I think that is relay number 3 on top of the same fuse panel. Its solenoid is energized by the BCM, but just as a single set of contacts.

In theory at least, removing that relay and replacing those contacts with a jumper lead with the same tabs as the relay should keep the cigar lighter and power outlet always hot and still protected by the fuses 6 and 7.

I never trust this until I check it out with the appropriate test equipment. Not unusual to find gross errors in shop manual schematics.

But looks like, may be as simple as unplugging a relay and plugging in a jumper wire, and would be fully reversible with cutting any wires.

Both fuses 6 and 7 are rated at 20 amperes, most I ever plug in is a cell phone charger that barely pulls a 1/4 of an ampere. Occasioning a small inverter to power a computer power supply, that pulls about 8 amperes.

Have to try this first.

Aesop
    Took a look at it, easy modification, but elected not to do it as the battery low voltage sensor circuit would be bypassed. A trade off, getting always hot outlets, or trying to start your vehicle with a dead battery.

Wife seems to be having a problem keeping her cell phone charged, I got her a spare battery. That problem is solved without modifying the vehicle.

8. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements