Oil Change Interval
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Oil Change Interval

Handbrake Released The Wolf Wagon's Avatar

Oil Change Interval

I travel at 65mph about 90% of the time with my 1.4 Eco. What is the general guidelines for miles between oil changes? I've heard both 3000 and 5000!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Handbrake Released
    That's why your car has an oil life monitor - it tells you when you should change it. With that much highway driving it may not recommend a change until 10,000 miles. 3K or 5K is too soon.

Mying is telling me it'll be ready for it's first one at 16,500 kms. I probably would go by that, but i believe my tires are due for rotations every 10,000 so ill probably just get them both done at the same time.

Dealership told me to go by the Oil Monitor when i asked if i needed it at 5,000.
    TechCruzer likes this.

BOOOOST!
    I travel about the same as you and have changed my oil 3 times now......all between 7000 and 8500 miles (20%-30%) on the DIC with QS Ultimate. No problems and no oil loss.
    obermd likes this.

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    This is a bit more than a straight answer question.

The factory oil is an ACDelco Dexos 1 synthetic blend. It is only really good for 6,000 miles. Oil testing has been done that shows it's pretty much shot by that point and should probably be changed at even 5,000 miles.

The recommended oils for this car are Dexos 1 approved fully synthetic oils. Oil testing analysis has shown that Mobil 1 consistently does well and even exceeds the 10,000 mile OCI that the OLM may suggest. Some synthetics however will only allow a 7,500 or 8,000 mile OCI. The OCI assumes that you have a high quality fully synthetic oil in your car, which the factory oil (and that which the dealers will change your oil with) is not.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Administrator

My oil change cycle is 1,500, 6,000, 10,000, and then every 5,000 miles. I balance, rotate, and inspect my tires every 5,000 miles. Actually I pay Discount Tire to rotate and balance the tires but I personally check the tread wear on each tire while it's off the car. I also do a quick visual on the suspension to check for any obvious problems. Discount Tire has a deal that you can pay for the lifetime rotation/balancing even for tires not bought there. Rotating the tires and changing the oil at the same time makes it easy to remember to do.

Has anyone checked the ACDelco Dexos1 oil's life expectancy after the first oil change? The engineers at GM should know what oil will be used at the factory and by their dealerships, so why calibrate the oil life monitor to run well past the life expectency of the factory/dealership oil?

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Duke of Oil

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    My oil change cycle is 1,500, 6,000, 10,000, and then every 5,000 miles. I balance, rotate, and inspect my tires every 5,000 miles. Actually I pay Discount Tire to rotate and balance the tires but I personally check the tread wear on each tire while it's off the car. I also do a quick visual on the suspension to check for any obvious problems. Discount Tire has a deal that you can pay for the lifetime rotation/balancing even for tires not bought there. Rotating the tires and changing the oil at the same time makes it easy to remember to do.

Has anyone checked the ACDelco Dexos1 oil's life expectancy after the first oil change? The engineers at GM should know what oil will be used at the factory and by their dealerships, so why calibrate the oil life monitor to run well past the life expectency of the factory/dealership oil?
    No idea why GM calibrated the OLM that way, but several GM service techs have noted that the oil shouldn't be used past a 6,000 mile interval. I'll be sticking to either Mobil 1, Pennzoil, or Valvoline full synthetic oil and going by the oil life monitor for my car.

I do recall seeing someone's post with an oil analysis of said oil on this board, showing it would certainly not last till the 10,000 mile OCI that the OLM was suggesting.

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRevolution View Post
    This is a bit more than a straight answer question.

The factory oil is an ACDelco Dexos 1 synthetic blend. It is only really good for 6,000 miles. Oil testing has been done that shows it's pretty much shot by that point and should probably be changed at even 5,000 miles.

The recommended oils for this car are Dexos 1 approved fully synthetic oils. Oil testing analysis has shown that Mobil 1 consistently does well and even exceeds the 10,000 mile OCI that the OLM may suggest. Some synthetics however will only allow a 7,500 or 8,000 mile OCI. The OCI assumes that you have a high quality fully synthetic oil in your car, which the factory oil (and that which the dealers will change your oil with) is not.
    My 2012 operators manual recommends Dexos 1 5w-30 Synthetic-Blend oil

Duke of Oil

Quote Originally Posted by deerebilt View Post
    My 2012 operators manual recommends Dexos 1 5w-30 Synthetic-Blend oil
    Yes, your owner's manual also recommends 4.2 quarts of transmission fluid as the total capacity for the automatic transmission, when in reality, the correct capacity is 8.5 quarts and the drain and re-fill amount is 5.8 quarts.

Your owner's manual also recommends a .028 spark plug gap for the 1.4L Turbo, yet the service manual at GM recommends .033-.037, and GM customer support claims the manual is not to be trusted in this case.

Following the owner's manual might get you past the 100k/6 year warranty point. I like to keep my cars a little bit longer.
    Last edited by XtremeRevolution; 05-24-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Driver's Ed
    I really dont understand how any one can run oil 10000 mi. I dont care if the oil is still good and lubricating engine properly at 10000 mi but what are you going to do with contaminants in the oil, like condensation and fuel from the normal combustion process of the engine, Oil and filters are cheap compared to engines. I am changing my oil at 3 to 5000 no matter what oil I decide to use. The oil life monitor cannot really detect oil life, it has set parameters but can not do a oil anaylsis. Just my 2 cents.
    Knucklehead1964 likes this.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast