Belt squealing when turn on A/C
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Thread: Belt squealing when turn on A/C

Handbrake Released

Belt squealing when turn on A/C

The last few days it's been 100+ here in Denver. When I first start the car and then turn on the A/C, there is a horrible belt squealing noise for about 5-10 seconds, then it finally stops. The A/C blows cold. I looked quickly under the hood and it appears that everything runs off of a serpentine belt, which I would assume has its own tensioner so nothing to tighten really.

Anyone else had this? Maybe the compressor is going bad and is having too much turning resistance which causes the squeal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Resident Tater Salad
    Either the compressor is dragging a lot (several Cruzen have had their compressors replaced), or the tensioner isn't taut enough. Either way, I'd create an appointment at your dealer to have it looked at. If the serpentine belt snaps or pulls off, you will lose power from your alternator as well.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Handbrake Released
    Appointment made for tomorrow. Also going to have them look at the front strut TSB and the broken gas cap while it's there.

Could be the compressor clutch. Happened to me on another vehicle. Broken gas cap?
    Going out for a CRUZE

Accelerating to 6th gear!

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenCruze View Post
    Could be the compressor clutch. Happened to me on another vehicle. Broken gas cap?
    It no longer clicks when you tighten it up. It just goes tight but the ratchet part no longer works. Not a biggie but will ask them to replace it anyway.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
    Quote Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
    Appointment made for tomorrow. Also going to have them look at the front strut TSB and the broken gas cap while it's there.

jfischer,
    I would like you to keep me posted on the outcome of your visit to the dealership. If you have any questions, comments or concerns please feel free to contact me.
    Thank you,
    Stacy Chevrolet Customer Service

Aesop
    Losing the alternator is not nearly as bad as losing the water pump, also driven off the same belt. That can cause very quick damage to the engine. The Ecotec 2.2 L had the water pump driven directly off the timing chain, surprised they went back to that crazy single belt design.

A ten second squeal is very long, surprised your belt didn't snap, better to leave the AC off than risk blowing your engine.

Can only guess in production, didn't shoot in the required amount of PAG oil. Like the old days when compressors had a sump with a sight glass to check the oil level. Since then, has been a constant pain in the butt to work on AC systems. Only way to put in the correct amount of oil is to completely drain and flush out the old oil, then put the correct amount in from scratch. If the compressor has a major drag to it, should do a complete flush, and replace both the accumulator and the condenser. If they don't, you will have future problems, and more than likely, out of warranty.

Handbrake Released
    Well, they "could not duplicate" the problem so nothing was done today. They did order the replacement struts and gas cap. They did say they'd look at it again next week when I take it back when those parts arrive.

Also got the engine shield recall done, haven't looked at it closely to see how good of a job they did. I keep very close track of mileage to/from work so I should be able to tell if there's any difference but I doubt there will be.

Aesop
    Quote Originally Posted by jfischer View Post
    Well, they "could not duplicate" the problem so nothing was done today. They did order the replacement struts and gas cap. They did say they'd look at it again next week when I take it back when those parts arrive.

Also got the engine shield recall done, haven't looked at it closely to see how good of a job they did. I keep very close track of mileage to/from work so I should be able to tell if there's any difference but I doubt there will be.
    Did they check your serpentine belt for flat spots? Or the tensioner for 120 pounds of pull? Did that squeal go away on its own?

Handbrake Released
    Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Did they check your serpentine belt for flat spots? Or the tensioner for 120 pounds of pull? Did that squeal go away on its own?
    I don't think they did anything since it wouldn't squeal for them. It only has happened when it's 100+ outside when I turn on the AC. It has to go back next week for the struts and gas cap anyway and they said they'd look into it further then. So we'll see what happens next week.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements