How do I make my car a little faster?!
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How do I make my car a little faster?!

Cool How do I make my car a little faster?!

Hey Guys,

I have a 1.8 LS. I do have a few bolt-on's that are listed below (SIG). I was hoping you guys could point me towards the next mod/change I can get to make my car go just a bit faster. I know it's not the turbo nor is it a car made to go extremely fast, but I would like just a bit more power/push from my car. What type of other mods can I do, other than exhaust, intake & tune, to make my LS just a tad bit faster &-or more powerful.

Any suggestions/opinions will help! Thanks Guys!
    2011 Imperial Blue LS/SS
    Connectivity Package 35% Tint All Around - UR Front Strut Bar
    Shaved Trunk - Carbon Fiber Front & Rear Bowties - Smoke Window Visors
    Arctic White Bulbs w/ Yellow Fogs - SportWing Spoiler - VG Shark Fin Antenna - Bazooka Tube
    Injen Intake - Doug Thorley Exhaust - Trifecta Tune - UR Rear Lower Tie Bar - 17" Black Drag Wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Verify your spark plugs are all at 0.028".

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Super Moderator

Trade it for a 1.4T-equipped Cruze.

Honestly, a 1.4T just has far more potential for all-out speed than a 1.8 has. Making a 1.8 more powerful can be done. It's much more work for much fewer gains than any 1.4T can get after 10 minutes by flashing a tune. Having said that, let's make the car keep speed around corners, since that's effectively making it more powerful. Less speed thrown away, less speed needed to accelerate to the next corner.

First is ditching the steelies for lightweight 17" or 18" rims. Keep the steelies for winter wheels if winter is of concern. Second, wrap those rims in some high-performance tires. That's rotating mass, and the less of it to accelerate, the better. Third, go for chassis braces, sway bars, and the improved endlinks to help keep the car in line around a corner. Your planned drop will help this also.

After all that, you'll have a Cruze that'll handle like it's on rails. It might not be the fastest to the corner, but it'll sure be the fastest through the corner!
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Aesop
    If you can believe these auto magazines test results, comparing an Eco with a MT and the 1.4L turbo, 0-60 mph times are 8.1 seconds. Whereas the LS 1.8L also with a MT is 10.1 seconds. Rated HP is practically identical, but the turbo offers a flatter torque curve, and much greater at the low end to account for the faster times.

Sounds like you are unhappy with what you purchased, read all these specs before and made up my mind, but wanted the 1.4 to get at least 3 extra free mpg. But did sacrifice some of that to get more luxury in the 2LT than the Eco.

In all honesty, and if you are in the USA, really not much you can do to be legal, except keep it in good tune. Smaller front tires would give you more low end torque at price with living with an inaccurate odometer and speedometer with reduced fuel economy.

HP didn't do a darn thing for us leaving St. Paul last Wednesday night, an accident added 40 minutes east creeping along at 5 mph. Then another delay, the heat buckled up I-94 west of Chippewa Falls, not as bad, but added another ten minutes.

We don't say, oh boy, there is a cop to protect us, would like to nail us to the wall if we drive 26 in a 25. Think I could push my Cruze faster than we are permitted to drive it.

These question never seem to end. It doesn't matter what car you drive. When I was into eclipses and talons, people bought the non turbo cars. Even years later when there wasn't even a price difference, and wanted to mod it. Always buy the turbo car.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
    sciphi likes this.

Aesop
    Beach Boys, "she's real fine my 409".

Drop in a 409.

Use to do a lot of that, use to be legal.
    jblackburn likes this.

Aesop
    Was looking for a chart showing fuel usage, besides our private vehicles, have industrial, military, commercial vehicles, and the airline users of fossil fuels.

Did find one back in 1994 for CFC uses, mainly when R-12 and R-22 refrigerants were banned about some theory, they could poke a hole in the ozone layer.

As I recall, military and the government was using about 60% of the total production namely for tracing ocean currents and cleaning. Another 30% was used for hair spray and other propellant cans. 6% for miscellaneous applications, but only about 4% was actually used for its intended application, refrigeration!

This would cover all commercial and private refrigeration, air conditioners, and in most particular, vehicle air conditioning. Now 96% of the total production was blown directly into the atmosphere, AC contains this new dangerous refrigerant, could have beaten the OE's to death on this issue, like using a pressure relief valve that would blast out refrigerant if you had too many bugs in your condenser. Or using very poor materials, seals, etc. in the production.

But no, the EPA put these repairs to the responsibility of the consumers with especially stiff fines on AC techs for proper recovery. Heck, there is nothing left to recover. Then for automotive, talking less than 2% of the total CFC production! And not like a 20 year phase out for a really proven dangerous poison of putting lead in gasoline? Was done overnight.

Just feel they are doing the same thing with exhaust emissions, seems the greatest user of fossil fuels is the military, the airliners, commercial diesel trucks, and even NASA. EPA has no jurisdiction over NASA and the military, took a back seat to commercial vehicles, but really went head on for the privately owned vehicles for emission controls.

Going to take a wild guess that only about 15-20% of fossil fuel consumption is used by privately owned vehicles, leaving 80-85% of emissions the EPA is ignoring for whatever reason. But yet we are hit the hardest on this issue!

Just like a close friend that only could work for the IRS for a year then she quit. Was told to stay away from the corporations and only hit individuals earning a miserably low income.

$25,000.00 fine is the rule, for either getting caught releasing that last ounce of refrigerant or by modifying your vehicle. Its the law, unfair, but the law. EPA has never had to prove their emission laws are doing any good. So far in their history, fix one problem and create ten other new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    Verify your spark plugs are all at 0.028".
    Thank you! I'll definitely check that this weekend.
    2011 Imperial Blue LS/SS
    Arctic White Bulbs w/ Yellow Fogs - SportWing Spoiler - VG Shark Fin Antenna - Bazooka Tube
    Injen Intake - Doug Thorley Exhaust - Trifecta Tune - UR Rear Lower Tie Bar - 17" Black Drag Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by sciphi View Post
    Trade it for a 1.4T-equipped Cruze.

Honestly, a 1.4T just has far more potential for all-out speed than a 1.8 has. Making a 1.8 more powerful can be done. It's much more work for much fewer gains than any 1.4T can get after 10 minutes by flashing a tune. Having said that, let's make the car keep speed around corners, since that's effectively making it more powerful. Less speed thrown away, less speed needed to accelerate to the next corner.

First is ditching the steelies for lightweight 17" or 18" rims. Keep the steelies for winter wheels if winter is of concern. Second, wrap those rims in some high-performance tires. That's rotating mass, and the less of it to accelerate, the better. Third, go for chassis braces, sway bars, and the improved endlinks to help keep the car in line around a corner. Your planned drop will help this also.

After all that, you'll have a Cruze that'll handle like it's on rails. It might not be the fastest to the corner, but it'll sure be the fastest through the corner!
    I should have bought the 1.4T! I'll definitely work on my suspension next.
    2011 Imperial Blue LS/SS

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    If you can believe these auto magazines test results, comparing an Eco with a MT and the 1.4L turbo, 0-60 mph times are 8.1 seconds. Whereas the LS 1.8L also with a MT is 10.1 seconds. Rated HP is practically identical, but the turbo offers a flatter torque curve, and much greater at the low end to account for the faster times.
    FWIW, w/an automatic, Consumer Reports got these 0-60 mph times, all w/automatics (Their times to be a bit slower than many other mags, but at least it should be the same track, same equipment, same launch technique, etc.)

'11 1.8L LS - 10.5 seconds
    '11 1.4T 1LT - 9.8 seconds
    '12 1.4LT Eco - 10.0 seconds

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast