Cruze transmission fluid & filter change
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cruze transmission fluid & filter change

Driver's Ed

Cruze transmission fluid & filter change

Recently, I took my 2011 Cruze LT to the dealership for a transmission fluid & filter change because it has over 30,000 miles and there is no dip stick to check the color and smell of the fluid.
    Since it is a new 6 speed automatic technology, it thought is was best to be on the safe side and change it. I left it at the dealership for service. Several hours later, I go a call from the dealership stating that they could not change the fluid or filter because the engine must be pulled to service the transmission. They said it has a 100,000 mile warranty. When I asked how much this service will cost when the car has 100,000 miles, I was told that they don't know because they have never done it!!!!!!
    If the normal transmission fluid change costs $200 - $300, how much will it cost to pull the engine? $800 - $1,000.00
    I an not sure that I want to find out the hard way. This car is a candidate for replacement at 80,000 - 90,000 miles.
    Does Chevy have an answer to this problem???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

World Rally Champion
    Take it to a different dealer, that one is clearly full of ****. The owners manual clearly states the transmission fluid should be changed by 45,000miles. There is no way the trans has to come out to do it.

I have not looked much into this on the cruze but my last car(a 2004 cavalier) had the same missing dipstick. On the drivers side of engine on top the trans was a black knob you could remove to fill trans. Looking in the same location on the cruze there is the exact same black knob to remove to fill.

I will admit on the cavalier I just paid the dealer $90 to do the change, but from the reading I did It sounded like on the cavalier there was a small window on the side of trans to see if the trans was at the right fluid level(though that could be wrong). Would think there has to be some way to check the level on the cruze too. Even if there is no way to check, how hard is it to remove pan, replace filter & refill transmission fluid to spec.

Last I checked my dealer is now charging more for the trans fluid change. Think the ad in paper said $150-175. I suspect these days all a dealer tech would have to do is look up a service procedure on the computer & have step by step instructions on how to do it. Your dealer sounds completely incompetent.... or just lazy.
    Last edited by spacedout; 08-13-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Starks8 and sciphi like this.

Lifetime: 10.5 cents per mile @ $3.73 average price over 56K miles

Retired Moderator

Your dealer is giving you the runaround. It's entirely possible to change the transmission fluid on these cars with the transmission in place. The 6T40 has a drain plug, and a fill plug. IIRC Amsoil lists the capacity as around 5 quarts for a drain and fill. It beats me where the drain/fill plugs are on the automatic, though.

There's no serviceable filter, though. That gets replaced when the transmission is overhauled.

And, if you're going to trade you 2011 in at 90k miles, that's a waste of money. With even a little bit of care, these cars should be good for 200k+ miles pretty easily.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Quote Originally Posted by sciphi View Post
    Your dealer is giving you the runaround. It's entirely possible to change the transmission fluid on these cars with the transmission in place. The 6T40 has a drain plug, and a fill plug. IIRC Amsoil lists the capacity as around 5 quarts for a drain and fill. It beats me where the drain/fill plugs are on the automatic, though.

There's no serviceable filter, though. That gets replaced when the transmission is overhauled.
    This ^^^^^^^^

Seems to me the dealer didn't think he would make enough off doing this simple job for you. It shows right in GMSI where the drain & fill plugs are for the auto trans.
    2013 Chevy Cruze LT RS - Black granite, 6M

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by sciphi View Post

And, if you're going to trade you 2011 in at 90k miles, that's a waste of money. With even a little bit of care, these cars should be good for 200k+ miles pretty easily.
    To be specific, the service manual lists 5.8 quarts for the drain and refill.
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Driver's Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post
    This ^^^^^^^^

It shows right in GMSI where the drain & fill plugs are for the auto trans.
    Is the GMSI a mechanics online manual or a different manual then the one that came with the 2012 Cruze?

I don't see anything in my 2012 Cruze manual about a fill and drain plug.

Thank you,
    Skid

i think when i go to change mine i will drain the fluid in a container that i can measure the amount of fluid that comes out and see how close it is to 5.8 quarts. you don't want to over fill an automatic transmission. this seems like a safe way to do it to get close on fluid.

Resident Tater Salad

Quote Originally Posted by montess1 View Post
    i think when i go to change mine i will drain the fluid in a container that i can measure the amount of fluid that comes out and see how close it is to 5.8 quarts. you don't want to over fill an automatic transmission. this seems like a safe way to do it to get close on fluid.
    Exactly the way I've always done it.
    2012 Cruze 1LT 6M

Retired Moderator

There's a post in the how-to section about how to change the ATF. It's a drain/fill procedure. I'd do it every 30k miles or so to be on the safe side.
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze Eco
    2009 Honda Fit Sport

Learn from the mistakes of others, so when you err it can be in new and interesting ways.

Driver's Ed
    Auto trans in 2012 Cruze...I just went out and looked..The trans filler cap is like a black knob affair just to the right of the trans cable on top of the transmission..I am going to read the manual and if it says to refill with 5.8 quarts then that is what I plan to do.. On second thought I guess it won't hurt to measure what I drain out just to be sure..I had an '83 Accord that was very easy to do because the drain plug was accessible from the top ;no crawling required..I changed it often because the trans would start slipping going into 3rd gear..A quick change with a pint of some cheap " trans medic " and it would stop slipping for 6 months...I may have forgot to tell the guy I sold it to about this.....

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast