Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

The quality of Cruze's backup camera?

34K views 80 replies 22 participants last post by  Norm105 
#1 ·
To those who currently have a 2013 Cruze with the new OEM backup camera or have at least tested it out, I wanted to know what you think of it and its quality?! How is the camera quality overall? Is color true? Is pixel good?... because from the pics I have seen (Google), the quality looks sub par from what the other newer chevy automobiles have.

Already from what I saw, the Cruze's backup camera doesnt have the guidance lines (unless you can cut them on in a features menu?) which I think is ridiculous especially because from what I have seen the newer 2012 and 2013 Chevy/Buick (malibu/verano) releases that have the backup camera have the guidance lines and I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why the Cruze's would be different?

I don't want to jump to negative conclusions about the Cruze's backup camera but I really hope chevy just didn't throw some poor quality backup camera that's no better then some cheap aftermarket camera on the Cruze to simply try to appease and get more money out of potential buyers like myself that desired more tech/safety features.

Any thoughts, reviews?

#3 ·
Thanks 2013! Unfortunately, I figured as much from the few google pictures ive seen but I figured I ask anyway. Too bad this backup camera isnt anything to really write home about. Do you have any idea if there is a option in the features menu to cut on/off guidance lines at all? Thanks!

#11 ·
I hope you're kidding! I have been following this forum and dreaming of buying the cruze for about as long as its been in the states! To suggest for me to buy a Verano to me is blasphemous (check the profile), lol!

The base Verano still doesn't have all the features I would want although the rear view camera is standard and it resembles the Cruze in a few areas. Going to the convenience package Verano is too expensive and besides, the Verano really isn't my style. Maybe if I was in my 40's or something but I'm only 26 and the Cruze is my dream car!

#13 ·
Want to improve the quality of what you see? Look out the back window.

To upload pictures, there's a little picture icon - 3rd over to the right from the smiley. Click it, then upload your image to the site. Video links will have to be through Youtube or Photobucket or the like.

#26 ·
That's strange because this picture of the 2013 buick verano's backup camera shows it with the lines, which makes me think and hopeful that mybe the lines can be a option that can be tuned on and off?
However the secod picture link shows the verano backup camera without the guidance lines, so who knows?

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/07/2013-buick-verano-to-offer-rear-vision-camera-standard/

http://autos.jacksonville.com/Autos?tp=AUTOS.JACKSONVILLE.COM&category=Popups&temp_type=detail&tl=8&listing_id=47477213&p=http%3A%2F%2Fi.aultec.com%2Fv%2F71%2F10698%2Ftxt%2FDFBD2B9381C74EEE87EB6CDA640DD498.jpg%3Fmod%3D201208290000

#27 ·
I asked the salemen about the guidance lines we tried for a good 10 to 15 mins trying to figure it out he even went and asked his GM if he new anything about it. The Verano back up camara pic quality and color quality and features were exactly the same as the camera in the cruze. The enhanced safety package in the Verano is the same also no difference at all.

#39 ·
Is it worth to trade off my 2012 for a 2013 Cruze to get a back up camera? And do I really need one for a 14' long car?

With yearly model changes, why do they do that, never know if you are getting improvements or whether they found ways to cheapen it up.

Could sure use a backup camera on my motorhome, plastered those 3M wide view lenses all over the place even picking one out with a large rear window I can see using the center rear view mirror. Side views are not enough. Do have some spares, could try that out on my Cruze, but to one side.

#40 ·
I've just been double checking my RVC and it does not have the optional guidelines on my 2013 ECO. I read through the manual and it's pretty simple to tell, hit the Config button, select display, and select Rear Camera Options. Mine only has On/Off feature for the camera; no option for the guidelines. So I'm thinking this may be part of the upgrade to the Pioneer system or part of the URPA (rear park assist) option.

I see that 2013Cruze has an LTZ which probably has the upgraded touch screen.

#41 ·
Any members that have a 2013 Cruze with the 7 inch color touch screen, nav, backup camera and all the related packages, care to put up a pic of the guidance lines that the cruze supposedly has? I tried to call Chevy customer service to confirm what 2013cruze told me, which was that it does have the guidance lines but they were absolutely no help and I cant understand how they even have that type of job when all they do is answer your questions by reading stuff off the Chevrolet web site; **** i can do that!

#45 ·
You may be on to something about it being a part of a firmware update. Or maybe its in the manuals now for the new cruzes that are going to be released in actual 2013 and 2014 and the current 2013 models get nothing. Certainly not a deal breaker but when these guidance lines in backup cameras have become a standard, its hard to believe that chevy wouldnt follow suit.

#46 ·
I have a less than 1 week old 2013 Eco with backup camera, no nav or parking assist. This thread piqued my interest, so I checked it out.

There are no guidance lines. The Display/camera menu only has on and off. With the car in reverse, camera on pressing config does nothing.

I hope this helps. Now I wonder if it would have lines with parking assist.

#47 ·
If it has not been discovered by the time we take ownership of our '13 (Should be early Nov) I will post what I find. We ordered with Nav, 2lt conv pack and the 9 speaker system.

#51 ·
I have just got the UK LTZ so no backup camera. Hey techies can i buy a camera and get fitted or do i also need a new radio. Does the radio I have contain video in capability? It has navigation. Anyone know tyhe part number or and price of the 'new' radio please pm me. Oh so annoying as just bought this cruze ltz.

#53 ·
No options for guide lines on my 2013. 2LT with conv pack and navi. Did not get the enhanced safety package. There are 0 options for the backup camera other than on/off.

#55 ·
Supposedly, one has to also have the enhanced safety package to have the guidance line camera option. Don't know if this is true or not, but even if it is, it might be exclusively for the Cruze LTZ's with the camera, mylink, and enhanced safety package.

#54 ·
I recently bought a 2013 Cruze ECO with the Eco Convenience Package. In my opinion the camera is great. Nice sharp picture quality. My other vehicle is a 2010 Equinox LTZ and the camera is horrible. However my Equinox does have the parking assist. I did not get the safety package with my Eco so it does not have park assist.

#57 ·
If you purchase a chevy cruze with the back up camera does anyone know if it would be possible to replace the OEM back up camera with an aftermarket one that actually has the guidance lines?! If possible, what all would have to be done? Would there need to be a large amount of rewiring as well as having to find the same size rear camera to fit the same way the OEM one did?

#59 ·
lol, 14' or not, tight spaces at those parking garages when you're at the beach or at those huge shopping centers, makes for a interesting day of parking. Any help, even guidance lines on the backup camera of a 14' car, to help lower the risk of clipping someones front bumper or backing up too far and messing up my own rear bumper, is help im willing to take, lol. And, yes I can park without the lines but they just make everything so much **** easier, haha!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.