Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Light weight fly wheel in 1.8 Eco

5K views 32 replies 4 participants last post by  pb52013 
#1 ·
#20 ·
A tune on the 1.8 is a waste of money unless you have added super/turbo charger. Trust me I wasted my money on the cobalt when I first got it. It was a 2.2 with an intake manifold from the 2.4 HO intake and header back exhaust I dynoed it before and after all the adjustments and there was a ZERO HP GAIN! Trifecta. The flywheel would dramatically improve the acceleration as the following mod I did after the tune was a flywheel and that had the biggest impact untill I twincharged it with nitrous too lol

#5 ·
Lol ok; wasn't trying to sound like a d-bag was wondering tho. How many miles are on it? Clutch and flywheel are usually things I'd upgrade either when making more power then stock clutch can handle or when the stock clutch goes out. A lightweight flywheel will make you have to rev higher to takeoff. It will help acceleration a little but I stand by what I said first off. You can do more for the same amount that will get you better results then replace it when the clutch goes. Just my .02.

#7 ·
Opps my bad on that last post but yeah you may be right it only has 15000 on it so the clutch is mint but I got to do something about all these guys with there 4 cyl accords talking crap calling my cruze a. " girls car" I know I am going to get a rocker strip that says cruze and some rims but I need more performance then just a tune

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
That's where factory boosted car kinda come in handy over na cars unfortunately. Boosted a tune makes a huge difference; na, not so much. But if you run an intake, please don't run "cold air" as a ram air works just fine and you don't have to worry so much about puddles, and an exhaust will help. Header and dp/mp with a magnaflow cat back will deff give you some pickup. Just don't get anything that sounds like rice lol. In order to take full advantage of the mods you will need a tune. Like I said however there's really not too much you can do with na cars until you start tearing them apart and either setting up for boost or a high compression na build. Imo I'd do and intake and exhaust then tune and that be it for performance. I would then work on looks, lowered, wheels, tint... and go from there.

#10 ·
I have a 12 eco tuned by trifecta that's not too bad. Not nearly as fast as my old cobalt ss super but gets the job done. Before that I had a na cobalt sport and that wasn't too bad. With my na cars just opening them up and letting them breathe they were so much better off. Idk if there is an option on header length for the 1.8 but different lengths will yield different things. The longer/ shorter will help with either top end or bottom end. Short tube will be better for you since your looking for better bottom end. As for muffler I will stand by my magnaflows. They have always sounded great with a low rumble for me. I used to get compliments on my civic...yes I had a civic... for a month lol all the time. That was running straight pipe with a magnaflow muffler and was not nearly as loud a 90% of civics around here. As for intake I'd look for a ram with a heat shield. If your handy you can get one without and make your own. I did this on my na cobalt and actually lower iat's pretty well.

#11 ·
Yeah I have had my fair share of civics/accords but I'm just sick of that scene not to mention my chevy is way nicer then any of those I am pretty sure I'll be ok speed wise with the intake exhaust/tune can't forget that I also have the clutch over a lot of people now a days ( couldn't live without it) as for it being a "girl car" I think the rims lowering and rocker decals would be good any suggestions on coil over brands ? I need adjustable because I live in New Hampshire Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Sedan

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#12 ·
I hear you on the manual lol. I can stand auto. As for coilovers I don't really know too much on they cruze. I know alot of people run ksports and seem to like them. I just went with eibach springs and love it. Winters aren't as bad down here in va but last winter we got a fair bit of snow and with my springs and my 18's I was still able to get around without leveling off too many snow banks lol. How low are you looking to go if you don't mind me asking? And hers a pic of mine on springs so you know what I'm talking about.

#21 ·
Yeah I said that with my 1.4 in mind then realized it was a 1.8. I still think a tune after mods it always good. The tune will still help the car be able to make use of the mods. The computer will take them into effect in the beginning then kinda tune them out as you drive on stock tune. Idk how you didn't make any more power. The car should have needed a good tune after all those mods (before boost). I had a cobalt sport 2.4 and ss super and both when modded made a little more power but the car phased the mods out until tuned...

#22 ·
You can think that it will but it doesnt and I had a 2.2l N/A with a ton of mods and the tune only raised my rev limiter lifted the gov and eliminated the WOT delay. No horse power was gained with vince 3 retunes over stock. It being a 2.2l with more displacement you would think it would have a better chance than the 1.8l. You can buy what ever you want like a front strut bar on a front wheel drive car and think it will give you better lap times but all it does is encourage more push on an already understeer car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.