I finally got busted for my tint! - Page 7
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I finally got busted for my tint!

So I never did place any wagers on how long until I got another one of these... but I got another!

This time I was driving on the highway near the US / Canada border . A New York State Trooper was chilling on the last police turnaround on I-190 before the Bridge. I was doing the speed limit (55).. then 20 seconds later I see him whip out like a bat out of **** and gun me down.. I was like "what did I do?"

He comes walks up to my car.. my windows are all down I smile and say "Hello Officer!" He comments on how nice the Cruze looks and my interior.. then says my tint looked nice but he pulled me over to write me a ticket for it -____-.

I must say, I never thought a State Trooper would waste time chasing down cars for tinted windows, when there are plenty of speeders out there. ****, if I actually had any drugs I'm sure the border guards would seize them before I entered Canada, right? Fugging cops...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Driver's Ed
    Years ago, all my daughter wanted for her birthday was tinted windows on her car. I studied Pennsylvania law concerning tinting and found at that time the law was that the tinting could not be too dark as to not allow viewing inside the car. (Something general like that) This was the actual law written by the legislator and signed into law by the governor. (the only people voted into office that could make law) The PA State police used a 70%? VLT as a determination I think. Note the State police do not have authority to write law and as such this percentage is not the law. The ability to see in is the law. There are several problems with this restriction in that a car from another state that have no tinting laws and has tinting , can it be ticketed for tinting in PA? The issue of different highway laws in states is the reason the Fed threatened to pull highway funds if state did not change laws such as “right on red”.

I bought VLT tint just under the limit and put it on her car. I could easily see into the car and even read the odometer. That evening her and a friend were out driving and were being stocked by a State Police officer that followed them to a gas station, a friends house and finally to dark section of highway and pulled them over. My guess is he did this since both were 17 yr old good looking girls.

I was working, my wife drove out and ripped off the tint. Needless to say I laid into the Barracks commander the next day about the unwarranted stop and explained the law (which I had printed out).
    Last edited by buck95; 02-25-2013 at 09:11 AM.
    Sunline Fan likes this.

At the end of the day.. it is a law made for cops to make more money for the town. They don't issue fix it tickets anymore, because they realized people actually fix them to waive the fee then re-tint them. Instead they would rather us just pay the $90 fine to them and keep driving. LOL, that is what I'm about to do.. again. I'd say 2 tickets a year is worth it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by buck95 View Post
    There are several problems with this restriction in that a car from another state that have no tinting laws and has tinting , can it be ticketed for tinting in PA?
    This is very true in NY and its an easy money maker. The theory here (according to the law) is that people from other states driving through should know the laws in which they are driving. I'm guess this was actually done to help with people towing large items such as a boat (correct me if I'm wrong). Every state has different regulations and permits regarding the width of what can be towed.

But back to the point, your from X state with no tint laws and have a 5% limo tint job. You drive through NY and get a ticket, you're mostly like going to pay the fine and mail in a check. Easy money for the state. Conversely an resident of the state may try and fight the ticket and thus costing the state the cops overtime pay for going to court.

Just my .02c.

I read somewhere that the state of New York gives out like five times as many tint tickets as speeding tickets. Oh the priorities...

I believe that stat is a bit misleading and here is why. Technically there are multiple violations that a cop can write you up for tinted windows. So when they pull you over for speeding, for example, they can give you the speeding ticket and like 4 tint tickets.

If you'd like I can find out the specifics.

I have only been told once and left off with a warning...

But i have had state troopers drive behind me for miles, and not done a **** thing. It depends on what mood they are in, then there was the day i got pulled over for doing 3 mph over the limit... And that day i got a warning -_- for the tints...

Too bad i beat that ticket, was a no brainer from the start to beat.
    -Danny

Lets go Argentina!

Quote Originally Posted by giantsnation View Post
    I believe that stat is a bit misleading and here is why. Technically there are multiple violations that a cop can write you up for tinted windows. So when they pull you over for speeding, for example, they can give you the speeding ticket and like 4 tint tickets.

If you'd like I can find out the specifics.
    A cop can't write a ticket for every window.. void by duplicity. Well, I suppose he could but that is just a cop with ***k up his a** and you probably can get it reduced in court. However, in the DMV system for NY, he can write you a tint ticket for the front and rear windows. They are listed separately in the computer. The last ******* did that to me and I had 2 tint tickets.. this guy said "I won't write you for the rears I don't ticket people for THAT"

Quote Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
    A cop can't write a ticket for every window.. void by duplicity. Well, I suppose he could but that is just a cop with ***k up his a** and you probably can get it reduced in court. However, in the DMV system for NY, he can write you a tint ticket for the front and rear windows. They are listed separately in the computer. The last ******* did that to me and I had 2 tint tickets.. this guy said "I won't write you for the rears I don't ticket people for THAT"
    Exactly my point. Front/Rear are listed differently as is the Windshield (I believe in NYS you have a 5inch strip).

Quote Originally Posted by iKermit View Post
    I have only been told once and left off with a warning...

But i have had state troopers drive behind me for miles, and not done a **** thing. It depends on what mood they are in, then there was the day i got pulled over for doing 3 mph over the limit... And that day i got a warning -_- for the tints...

Too bad i beat that ticket, was a no brainer from the start to beat.
    Don't just assume the cop didn't do anything. Most of the time (out of boredom) the cop will run your plates for warrants or just prior tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsnation View Post

Don't just assume the cop didn't do anything. Most of the time (out of boredom) the cop will run your plates for warrants or just prior tickets.
    The funny part is.. a good chunk of people receiving tint tickets have clean driving records (myself included).

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast