Bye Warranty! - Page 3
NEWS

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Bye Warranty!

Off-Road Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by obermd View Post
    I usually see close to 10 years and 150,000 miles before I starting having issues with a car.
    It is the calender age (esp. in the colder climates) that really start to screw with cars. My last car (my father's) had 190,000 miles on it before it started falling into major repairs. He had 160,000 miles in the first 6 years and it was fine.. then it sat on and off in the garage for 6 more years to get the last 30,000. All the repairs were in those last couple years.. poor thing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

I opted for the 5 year/100k mile B2B extended warranty. But this car will be paid off long before that, and once it is paid off, I am sure that warranty will be voided

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    2012 Cruze LS <Totaled
    2012 Cruze Eco < Totaled

I'm here for moral support

The Gearheads Guild

Banned
    In Thailand new Chevys are sold with a 3 year or 62,000 miles (100,000km) warranty, or platinum 5 years or 124,000 miles (200,000km).

That seems more reasonable. I put 60,000 miles on my car in 3 years. I've had it 1 year and I have almost 20,000 miles on it (30,000km).

I sold my 5 year old honda with 80,000 miles, but I got to almost 60,000 in the first 3.

Seems like 3 year/60,000 miles is more reasonable.

You put 30 miles to go to work and 30 miles back home everyday and you'll put 20,000 in 1 year like it was nothing. and 30 miles to go to work is really not that uncommon. That's what I commute everyday. About 25-30 miles each way.
    Last edited by thaicruze; 11-16-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Aesop
    What is worse than buying a new vehicle with 60 months payment and a 36 month warranty is a 30 year mortgage on a new $400,000 with a one year parts and warranty. Some of the appliances may carry a five year warranty on parts, but have to pay a guy 75-150 bucks per hour to come out and replace them. Then already stretched to make those monthly payments plus an extremely outrageous property tax for services you never receive.

Really stretching it, and even compounded more because all this crap we buy today is made in China. No wonder why we are in a financial crunch, but unlike the great depression where buying stock on credit was the cause, all this money ended up in someones pocket. Namely the people that built, financed, and sold these way overpriced homes.

Realized this along with a couple of other engineers, at a 6% interest rate paying over three times the value of a home. And the cost of materials was only about a third the price of the home. So end up paying nine times the price of the actual materials. Took a year off and build my own home, did need a construction loan, but quickly paid that off in a year. One huge advantage is we had all Made in America stuff, buying nothing but crap today so those importers are getting super rich. Wonder how much they give back to what is suppose to be our congress.

Cars were the same way back then, did buy a new 65 Buick for barely over one months paycheck. Was also working in aviation with thing called preventative maintenance. Actually put 330,000 miles on that car.

Not easy to do that today with our vehicles, because most of the components are throwaway type. Like a Timken bearing that could be removed, cleaned and lubricated. Would last forever, but have been replaced by throwaway hub bearings. On some cars, 300 bucks each, but most are in the 100 buck range. Or a fuel pump, one buck for a repair kit and a twenty minute job. Toyota dealer wanted 450 bucks for that piece of shyt in tank fuel pump and another thousand bucks to install it, have to drop the tank to do this.

It's unbeliever how this country I was expected to give my life up for has changed over the years, and wonder why we aren't doing anything about it? This was a great country once.

Mine 5 years 150.000km

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
    2012 Chevy Cruze LT 6 speed MT RS Package

Current Mods:
    K&N Intake Trifecta Tune 91 octane tune 22 psi, Forge Motorsport Atmospheric Bypass Valve , Ksports Kontrol Pro Coilovers, VG Shark Fin, Lumens 8000k HIDS, Yellow fogs

Twitter: @MartinCote2012

Driver's Ed
    Never buy an extended warranty. They are never in your favor. No company will ever offer a warranty that they can't make money on. They are playing the odds, with your money, and they know they will win.

The average cost of the additional warranty far surpasses the cost of typical repairs. Further, even the most comprehensive warranties don't cover all that much. You'd be surprised what they will not fix.

General hidden gems in warranties:
    - parts are covered, labor isn't.
    - you have to prove that you've had your car professionally serviced for routine everything from the day it was driven off the lot until the day you have your major issue. Miss one oil change receipt-- its over.
    - parts and labor are covered, "inspection time" is not.
    - no rental car while they repair yours. Because yours is a low profit margin warranty fix, you go to the bottom of the pile of customers they care about.
    - having an argument each time something needs to be replaced on whether it is covered via warranty or not. That's always a fun afternoon.
    ErikBEggs likes this.

Duke of Oil

Where the stars and stripes and eagles fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by tc_sting View Post
    Never buy an extended warranty. They are never in your favor. No company will ever offer a warranty that they can't make money on. They are playing the odds, with your money, and they know they will win.

The average cost of the additional warranty far surpasses the cost of typical repairs. Further, even the most comprehensive warranties don't cover all that much. You'd be surprised what they will not fix.

General hidden gems in warranties:
    - parts are covered, labor isn't.
    - you have to prove that you've had your car professionally serviced for routine everything from the day it was driven off the lot until the day you have your major issue. Miss one oil change receipt-- its over.
    - parts and labor are covered, "inspection time" is not.
    - no rental car while they repair yours. Because yours is a low profit margin warranty fix, you go to the bottom of the pile of customers they care about.
    - having an argument each time something needs to be replaced on whether it is covered via warranty or not. That's always a fun afternoon.
    Several years back, I bought a Bonneville GXP with 46k miles. I paid $2200 for an extended warranty for 4 years or 48k miles. I sold it last year. The vehicle accumulated $7200 in warranty covered repairs, paid for by that extended warranty in the 39k miles I owned it. Nissan quality guard lost quite a bit of money on that one.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide App
    Amsoil Products Info, Ordering, & CruzeTalk.com Discounts

XtremeRevolution & Co. Mobile Audio Parts :: XtremeRevolution.net

"When freedom is at odds with government policy, one of two things eventually happens: Either freedom is crushed, or political leaders are forced out in disgrace and replaced with guardians of individual liberty."

"...the Supreme Court has ruled that the right to keep and bear arms exists independently of the Second Amendment...the Bill of Rights is a reminder to the government, not [an] authorization..."

Administrator

I've had mixed results with extended warranties. If the car has a lot of problems they'll easily pay for themselves; if not you are out the money. A lot of the "hidden gems" can be dealt with by the service department. This is the reason finding a good dealership service department and developing a good relationship with them during your warranty period is critical.

2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; 814 mile range; Bluetooth Stereo AUX; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; GM Spare tire; VG Shark Fin
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

I negotiated an extended warranty out of them to 50k miles. Glad I did since I'm already over 13k miles and not at a year of ownership yet.

'12 Cruze Eco 6M Topaz Blue

I am glad we got the 5yr warrenty on the Cruze which includes a rental if our car is going to be in shop for more then 2 hours. After reading what this site has been chatting about before we bought our Cruze for us this was the right choice. Hopefully by 2017 when we trade it in for another Cruze they would have solved the problem many are having now and the Cruze will be more Bullet Proof.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast