Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

I am within inches of defecting from Chevy to.........

15K views 92 replies 47 participants last post by  Cruzemeister 
#1 ·
Drum roll please...........................
to a 2013 Dodge Dart SXT.
Yup.... can't believe I'm typing the words here...... but it's true.
To be fair, I really like my Cruze LS 1.8 auto. But, I have always wanted something Red, Alloys, Turbo benefits, and a manual for that good old feel of "being engaged".
I couldn't afford the Cruze that would of gave me those items, so I opted for value.
I have been looking for a year end leftover or whatever where the dealer is willing to take a big hit to enable me to get in under the wire. It just ain't happenning with a Cruze.
But after engaging in a teaser ad put out by Dodge, I nipped at the line. I test drove a SXT 1.4 T manual and was very impressed with the Dart. Then the "looks" starting weaving
a sticky little web around my head, and I'm afraid I may consider defecting to Dodge as soon as tomorrow. Across the board, it appeals to the kid in me, while still being practical. Which is what the Cruze has been about too. It's just that, for some reason, it has this sort of "Viper" vibe going on somewhat. I can't really explain it, but I must admit, I'm really thinking of doing it if the "numbers" can be made right. Biggest three things? The manual shifter seems a bit more substantial in the hand and in it's communication. The dual chrom exhaust look and even sound a tad growly from the outside. (Turbo factor? At Idle? Dunno) and the front face looks a bit more "sports car-ish", if you will.
I'll know by later tomorrow evening. And Then you fine folks will know too..... Does Cruzemeister - the guy who could never afford a Vette - who went from a Saturn ION to a Chevy Cobalt to a Chevy Cruze - join team Mopar? Does the Viper become the new found fantasy flagship to dream about while doing a little heel-toe in a Dart?

We shall see chillin' ...... we shall see.......:th_coolio:

See less See more
#6 ·
I hear you... I hear you....but I must admit that my recent looking at a 2012 Cruze LT1 leftover has me a little spooked about some apparent steering issues at highway speeds, and some mixed messages about the stock clutch being a bit of a dud in some runs. I don't know....... But I sure did like what I felt on the drive today, I'll say that. Dosen't hurt that it looks pretty cool too.....

#4 · (Edited)
Well good luck with whatever you deceide to do. Check out some of the Dart forums, seems like they are reporting turbo lag, hesitation and backfiring on the 1.4T engines - but no fix yet from Dodge.

#26 ·
Nice looking car. I doubt the dual exhaust is "real". It is probably 1 pipe that goes back to about the shifter and splits in a "Y" pipe and then uses 2 mufflers. My 1992 Achieva 2.2 4 cyl. did the same thing. Looks like duals but is just for show.
The interior looks a little cramped for my taste. Too each his own good luck.

#13 ·
I debated waiting for the Neon when I bought my cruze for the same reasons you have posted that you like in it. And then I realized how the car is for the most part from the late 90's/early 00's.. and quickly decided on the Cruze.

Whatever is your preference though. I just think the inside looks horribly tacky, and the outside (besides the dual exhaust) looks horribly designed.

#16 ·
you dont have the dart but you have the alfa romeo Giulietta right?its the same car as the dart.....real innovative dodge
cruze>any other small car 28k miles in no problems to date,good luck with the dodges,should have done some research and find out the darts have tranny problems too and head problems;typical dodge

#15 ·
I will be honest the only reason I am not driving a Dart is timing. When I was looking at a new car I fell in love with the Dart, but it was so new that I couldn't get what I wanted and they wouldn't budge on price, so I went with the Cruze instead. I am happy with my Cruze but Dodge nailed the dual exhaust and sound on the Dart, definitely seems more sporty than the Cruze. More power too at 160hp before a tune.

#17 ·
If you have a car with low mileage and no issues why would you even consider a new one that could have issues, just look at the issues people have on this forum? Why not wait until a new car comes out with something special about it. Surly a modified exhaust would be a lot more cost effective as you are well into your payment cycle?

#18 ·
Well I actually liked the styling, exhaust etc of the Dart but was bad timing, I did not know any issues of the Dart as it was brand new back when I was looking. I took out 2 different ones for test drives. Since I have purchased my Cruze I have not kept up with the Dart as I have my Cruze and have no plans of replacing it for a long time. Maybe things worked out for the better.

#19 ·
I couldn't stand the powerband. It's fun as **** to romp on the Dart in town, but driving it smoothly is hard to do. The turbo picks up around 2000-2500 with a lot of force, and the engine is gutless under that.

And the interior is super cheap.

The steering was nice and the touchscreen is nice. And the sound is FANTASTIC...much better sounding engine than the Cruze. But still...meh.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#21 ·
IMO i'm take a cruze over any other car lest it be a super car (yes, corvetter is a super car, but it's have to be a Z06 or ZR1).

But, if it GOES and corners well, then why not? Throw some paint and gfx on it and own that bad boy. I've seen neon pink Hondas around here that would shame some vettes. And yeah, dudes were driving them.

the night we picked up the SRT-4, some honda with Hello Kitty stickers in the windows wanted to race. We didn't because it was a side street, so I let the BOV speak for me and he drove away. I saw that honda a few days later on the fwy racing some pretty sick cars.

#22 ·
Thanks to all for the honest and in some cases brutally honest responses. I appreciate that and I love this forum ever since I got my Cruze back in Feb 2011.
When I first had a "bitchfest" with my salesman back then about the stiff seats on my Cruze and what was then the abrupt suto shifting his response was "You're the type of customer who A. Likes getting new cars frequently on a poor man's budget and therefore you get the model you "need" rather than what you relally "want". Meaning, I really wanted an upscale model, but the budget didn't allow it. B. Likes to trade with no chance of the dealer making any money. He was right on both. And I admit I'm a sucker for sporty looks. That said, even when I really Luv the car I'm in, I hate having to go through the non warranty period - to the point of not even buying tires when they get there.
I'm not going on the Dart forums because I would have never got the Cruze had I been on the forums back then.
As to some of the negatives mentioned by some here....... well....... ummmmmm..... I kind of got scared reading some of the 2012 Cruze turbo w/manual threads. I was near a deal on a sweet 2012 leftover LT1 manual with RS trim. They didn't want to move it as bad as I thought pricewise so that deal crashed. But it seems every brand has their bad days (or months). Cruze turbo lag. 1.8's (mine) actually a little peppier from stop light to stoplight. Clutches failing. What ever.
As far as the cheap interior proposition - I didn't see or feel cheap so much as retro simple.
As far as the styling, I see it as understated agression with a simple smartass attitude. Kind of like a Vette vs a Porsche. Dart being the latter. Which, speaking of flagship dreaming - I hate to say this because I have been a Corvette dreamer since I was knee high to a beagle (I have a mega diecast collection of virtually every year and version of Corvette that is known to man) but, I really don't like where Chevy is going with their styling. The upcoming C7 Vette looks more like a Ferrari that had some derranged clay sculptors up all night on E trying to chase away some bad waking dreams. And as I'm typing, an ad just popped up on the right of my screen for Dart and it's the red one I might get. How weird is THAT?
But thanks again - even for the constructive criticisms. This was always a great forum with cool people on board.
Oh, and the other thing that swayed me was that I was thinking about waiting for my current lease to run out and maybe go to a Sonic hatch RS in 2014 sometime. But one of my neighbors just got one and I was underwhelmed compared to the pics on the net. It's a small car that really dosen't look much different than the embarrassing Aveo visually. And talking CHEAP INTERIOR? Sheeshe - it's hard to justify that motorcycle inspired tacked on speedp/tach unit. So, that's my other dilemma - doing the homework ahead of 2014 , what is Chevy gonna have that dosen't rub me - style wise - the wrong way?

#23 ·
Oh, and by the way MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD DRIVE!
Vehicle Car Automotive design Mid-size car City car
Jingle all the way ....... Geeeeerrrrrrrooooooowwwwwllllllll .....
then one foggy Christmas Eve, Cruzemeister came to say....... LIGHT 'EM UP !:)

#27 ·
You can buy phony dual exhaust for the Cruze. Have to say that our 2012 2LT for a cheap car has more luxious features than my old loaded 92 DeVille did. Get more than twice the fuel economy driving in town than the DeVille, but doesn't have the towing capacity. The only thing I miss with it.

But not using my trailer as much with the Cruze, can fold down the rear seat and even haul a boxed Fulton with the mattress. Couldn't do that with the DeVille. So I am also comparing. Cruze even has larger tires than the DeVille did, far superior winter driving car and much quieter.

I also like to compare vehicles, when I saw the LS, just walked passed it. 0-60 mph times of the Cruze is only 0.5 seconds slower than what my DeVille was, but never drive a car like that, they don't last very long if you do. But can make a round trip to Chicago on a tank of gas with a lot left over. Couldn't do that with the DeVille.

I like my Cruze. JC Withney does sell a phony tailpipe, if you like fooling yourself and others.

#28 ·
I know the dart is a modified Alfa Romeo. I just hope you don't end up with Alfa's intermittent electrical issues and Dodge's crappy transmission durability issues. We all have to make decisions that are the best for us and I know from your other threads that you're not real happy with your 2011 Cruze LS, I would agree it's time for you to start looking at replacing it. Just don't rule out the 2013 Cruze as mechanically it's a much better car than in 2011.

#29 ·
I am close to getting a Dart to replace my Cruze. The materials in the Darts interior are better quality then the Cruze, especially in the doors. I will say I still prefer the Cruzes interior design better. Both cars are quiet at highway speeds but the Dart is a little more buzzy on acceleration. I drove the Dart turbo with the ddct tranny. The Dart does not have the low end power of the Cruze but is real quick at higher speeds above 25. I don't want to get rid of my Cruze but I can't keep driving around smelling coolant all the time and GM admitting to me they have no fixes and there has been no design change for 2013. GM is in the process of buying my car back and I will most likely get a Dart. Both are good cars and am proud us companies are getting competitive again.

#30 ·
I'm starting to see Darts on the street around here. OK, it you like it. A couple of thoughts from my perspective.
1. First year production by Dodge. Wait until the second year production.
2. My son has been driving Chrysler products for the last decade. Nickel and diming usually begins about the end of the 2 year leases. Funny how Chrysler is so anxious to roll the leases over early.

#31 ·
I live about 20 minutes from where the Darts are rolling of the assembly plant over here in belvidere, Illinois. I see these cars everywhere and too many times. Honestly they are just plain ugly except for the dual exhaust, single exhaust to 2 tail pipes whatever it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.