Thinking of purchasing a Cruze (and grow up a bit)

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Thinking of purchasing a Cruze (and grow up a bit)

Immystic is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed

Thinking of purchasing a Cruze (and grow up a bit)

Hello all! I've been bouncing all over your forum and have to say it's one of the better ones I've seen so first of all !

I'm currently in the search for a new vehicle and am seriously considering a 2013 Cruze - PERHAPS if the price is right a 2014. I'm looking for pros/cons, if someone could tell me the differences between the LT/1LT/2LT/LTZ (I know the LS is the base model - just drove a 2013 earlier and loved how quiet it was). I'm giving up my Jeep Grand Cherokee so I'm making a big switch. I live in the mountains PA, so need something that is snow & ice friendly. Any hints or suggestions are greatly welcomed!

Erica
    Last edited by Immystic; 04-04-2015 at 06:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Administrator

Do you drive a stick? Sticks give you a lot more control over the car in the snow. Also, why not the ECO or CTD trims?

Welcome to CruzeTalk.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Resident Forum Drunkard
    Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep cruzen if ya get 1 and Best Wishes with Purchasing a cruzen !

Contents . ie the options that 1 would desire installed into the vehichle are basicly the differences .. wheels , entertainment Packages , sunroof , interior fabric choice , even body styling to name a few ...

A lot of members have opted for the eco model with a manual transmission for the best fuel efficiency ...
    Last edited by brian v; 04-04-2015 at 06:43 PM.
    Enduring ,Veteran Retired . Over 90 Jumps ..when you get to stop counting .

Knuckle Buster . !!!

Hidden Content . Lost , But Not Forgotten .

So Live your Life that the fear of Death can never enter your Heart .

Jan.2015 - MOTM - Feb /19/2011to 4/24/2015 cruzen , IT
    4/24/2015 Mustang.
    If you cannot Respect your Elders than Maybe you will learn to Respect your Betters ! this will save your Life when you think that you are just Grown enough to Take upon yourself to Bully another more mature MAN .

I build Cars and I have Surfed the Mavericks !

5. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Formula One Champion
    I think Edmunds has a good write-up on the trim levels. Keep in mind that some features (like navigation) are not standard at any trim level. Some of the features that are standard on higher trim levels are options on the lower ones. So what it really comes down to is what features you want and if the car you're looking for has it.
    obermd likes this.
    '13 LTZ

Prior rides:
    '89 Corsica LT Hatchback 2.8L/Auto
    '67 Chevy II, 250 ci/auto

Yup, definitely look into the Eco and Eco diesel. Diesel gets awesome mileage. The Eco is only good if you don't mind driving stick.

Sent from the sexy electrician
    Dvan5693 likes this.
    2014 cruze diesel 2.0TD
    2009 Ford escape limited v6 4x4
    1971 Nova SS 406ci TH350w/shift kit

Autocross Champion
    As far as the snow and ice concern, as long as you get dedicated snow tires for the winter you should have no problems. Seriously, I have more control with my Eco and snow tires than I did with my Subaru Legacy Wagon with All Season rubber.
    obermd and Dvan5693 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetterin View Post
    As far as the snow and ice concern, as long as you get dedicated snow tires for the winter you should have no problems. Seriously, I have more control with my Eco and snow tires than I did with my Subaru Legacy Wagon with All Season rubber.

Nice set of winter/snow tires and the Cruze will be fine.

My only concern would be ground clearance with the extended lower air dam on the Eco. Won't take much snow is going to turn that into a snowplow.

It should be able nearly double the Grand Cherokee's mpg...unless you got one of the 11 or so CRDs back in '06. Still going to be considerably better than the GC CRD
    Last edited by Beelzebubba; 04-05-2015 at 02:32 AM.
    Dvan5693 likes this.

Immystic is offline [OP]
    Driver's Ed
    Thanks everyone!

To Obermd - I haven't seen a CTD model used (I hate buying new cars - depreciation is just crazy and I really don't need that new car smell.) I'll have to look into that too. There's very few Eco's to be had.

Chevyguy - thanks for the link!! That's just what I was looking for but unfortunately Google sometimes gives you too many choices (but it did point me here!)

Beelzebubba - Just about anything will give me better mileage than my 2001 Grand Cherokee! My husband convinced me that I need a vehicle that can pass a gas station every so often.

Definitely will get snow tires - that's the first thing my dad taught me many moons ago! I have to say I honestly didn't know what I was actually looking for other than a car that I can get into without feeling cramped (I'm tall and hate hitting my head or knees getting into a vehicle). I need space to transport things and the trunk/split seats filled the need there.

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome!! Any more pros/cons out there? Please share - even other vehicles! I've been driving either SUV's for the last 25 years and am a bit lost with cars!

~E

Administrator

I haven't had any problems with the slightly lower air dam on my ECO MT. The RS package rides at the same height as the ECO MT and I haven't heard of any issues with it either.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    2012 ECO MT - Black Granite/Cloth; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; OEM Fogs w/Chrome Covers; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content ; Hidden Content
    2010 Mit Lancer GT MT (traded for ECO @31K miles)
    2002 Pont Montana AWD (traded for 2012 LS @182K miles - title transferred to son on college graduation)
    1990 Pont Transport (traded for Montana @240K miles)
    1986 Fiero GT MT (traded for Transport - needed more seats)
    1985 Fiero 2M4 MT (traded for Fiero GT @8K miles)

Conservative Acoustic Foamcolor>
    I just bought my Cruze and it was a first on a couple levels for me.

First ever new car, because like so many others I hated the idea that it depreciates immediately upon leaving the lot. However, the interest rate difference between new and used was significant, for my credit score, so it was cheaper to get brand new than slightly used. Also, a friend pointed out that if I'm keeping it for as long as I'm financing it, then who cares if the value drops $2k instantly...in 5 years it evens out.

First ever "economy car" (as a bachelor) but my Malibu (leftover car from divorce) died a miserable and expensive death so I was caught needing a car right now so didn't have finances in order for the Silverado or Camaro I was intending to get next.

Edit: Also, not knocking my dealer, but when I was test driving cars I tried an LS MT 1.8L first and enjoyed the drive but hated the lack of options (no cruise on a MY 2015 car, really?). I loved the 1LT package with the MyLink option (I can't remember what generic "convenience" package name that had) but they only had AT. I was told initially that there was no such thing as a 1LT ECO with MT. In 20 seconds I found that it did exist and we found my car (with the RS package...bonus!). So, like others have said have in mind what options you want or don't and they can find the exact build for ya, more than likely.
    Last edited by _MerF_; 04-05-2015 at 11:37 AM.
    2015 1LT RS (M6) "Tyrone"
    2015 Yamaha Stryker Bullet Cowl "Unnamed" Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.