Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Things I DONT like with the Gen2 Cruze

10K views 54 replies 23 participants last post by  pandrad61 
#1 · (Edited)
Whatever happened to the days when you could actually have a car built the way you wanted with only the options you wanted? You know ... that time when a dealer had a list longer than the menu at a sushi bar, of all available options you could select from, then wait 6-8 weeks to get YOUR car the way you actually wanted, without some of the bells and whistles you didn't.

Apparently, the wizards at GM feel that people like me who like to shift their own gears don't like to have a BOSE stereo system nor do we need the capability of having a navigation capable radio. In order to get a nav radio, you MUST get the premium trim level, which only comes with an automatic. You CAN get the Bose stereo in the LT trim level, but ONLY with the automatic transmission. You want leather seats you say, available in Premium trim only. Illuminated vanity mirrors ... LT auto and Premium trim only (although I never really understood WHY there's a lighted mirror on the driver's side to begin with). What's that, you want a sunroof too ... again, ONLY in the LT automatic and Premium. Foot operated parking brake available on LT auto or Premium trim only. LT manual, sorry, you gotta pull it up with your hand. 17" or 18" wheels on Premium trim only ... everything else gets 16" or 15" wheels. Want a spoiler on your LT manual? Can't have it unless you opt for the automatic or step up to Premium. Splash guards on LT auto or Premium only ... REALLY? Well gee GM/Chevy dealer, can I get a ground effects package on my manual? NOPE, only LT auto and Premium. You must be joking if you want fog lights on a manual LT too! LT auto and Premium only. Rear park assist/side blind zone with lane change alert/rear cross traffic alert ... LT auto and Premium only (but if you want that stuff, you're required to opt in on other options too, depending upon LT or Premium trim). Heated rear outboard seats and heated steering wheel, Premium only. A color DIC display in LT auto or Premium only. Cabin humidity sensor ... you guessed it, LT auto and Premium only. Reading lights in the back seat are unheard of except in Premium trim. Safety belt assurance system, whatever the $*#@ that is ... LT auto and Premium. Aren't seat belts pretty important in EVERY vehicle though?

Maybe it's just me ... but some of these option availabilities (or lack thereof) don't seem to have anything to do with whether or not your car has a manual or automatic transmission in the case of options available to the LT automatic and not the manual. I mean really GM, wake up! Why does it matter that I shift my own gears and want a Bose stereo? Or splash guards ... or any other LT automatic option not allowed on the LT manual (other than remote start of course, but even THAT can be done with safety switches and certain requirements being met first). Then you go another step further and limit certain options to the Premier trim level only, which again, pisses me off that the ONLY way to get Nav is by paying the premium price for the trim level, even though I don't want all the other crap included! I'll just go with aftermarket stereo and Garmin Nav unit if I buy one ... and that's a BIG IF now ...

See less See more
#33 ·
I'D write something , but hay IT's a Cruzen and IT does go from Red Light to Red Light slow .

#34 ·
Well boys and girls since there were enough things that bothered me with the Gen2, I went ahead and bought yet ANOTHER vehicle to make the wife happy ... instead of buying myself a 2015 CTD or 2016 Gen2 LT manual with every available option. And here's what I now get to share (and I use that term sarcastically)
2015 New Chevrolet Camaro 2dr Convertible SS w/2SS at Penske Chevrolet Serving Indianapolis, Carmel, IN, IID 13705238

(of course the link will only work until they take the car off their website ... but maybe I'll be able to gather the pics another way)

#35 ·
I sat in gen 2 LT a week or so ago and wasn't all that impressed. I am a fan however of the whole RS look, especially the styling and aggressiveness it gives to the front end. The gen 2 headlight design is really sexy. I also like the shark fin antenna, the extra leg room in the back, and the quality of the BOSE sound system. The overall quality and design of the LT interior didn't impress me however, but I'm sure the Premier trim feels much more premium. The steering wheel and gauge cluster are some of the ugliest I've seen and really date the interior of the car in my opinion.

#37 ·
I test drove the Premier and sat in the LT and LS (base trim). I was really surprised how "basic" even the LT's interior looked, in terms of appearance it does not seem to be much of an upgrade over the LS. I also agree with the comment that the Gen 2 Cruze's exterior is like the prior gen Civic which is not something to aspire to. Finally the engine is REALLY packed in under the very short hood. I imagine even simple things like replacing a headlamp will be an involved procedure. Here are my thoughts following my test drive of the Premier: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-general-discussion/162802-i-test-drove-new-2016-5-cruze.html

#38 ·
Don't worry next year, GM will change all of it's package names, and what they include. Unfortunately, it's very likely it'll make just as much sense as the current line up.

Reactions: jsusanka
#39 ·
I did like that the LT came with a lit glove box, however, I'm sure it'll be gone when the gen2 is labeled as the 2017. Like has already been noted, the LT's interior just looked really basic and blah. I also didn't like that the aux and usb ports are all out in the open and don't have a spring loaded type door to hide behind. Nobody wants to see all the cords and stuff. It tends to make the interior look messy and cluttered and cords tend to attract thieves that want to find out exactly what those cords went to, lol!

Does the gen2 cruze have any cool interior ambient lighting at night?

#40 ·
Great report on the Gen2. This is why we are going for the Hyundai Velostor. The interior and even under the hood looks better and I see on the Gen2 they have that coolant holder in the same spot as our 2012 LTZ RS had. Both of us drove the new Gen2 and we said to the salesperson its a Mini Malibu so since we are looking for a Hatchback we now have to go to another Brand. Our 2012 Cruze was a great car yet the new Gen2 does not compare to it and the cost to make it happen for what we have in our Gen1 version was at that $28,000 range. Vehicle Car Engine Auto part Mid-size car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Hyundai

#41 ·
Great report on the Gen2. This is why we are going for the Hyundai Velostor. The interior and even under the hood looks better and I see on the Gen2 they have that coolant holder in the same spot as our 2012 LTZ RS had. Both of us drove the new Gen2 and we said to the salesperson its a Mini Malibu so since we are looking for a Hatchback we now have to go to another Brand. Our 2012 Cruze was a great car yet the new Gen2 does not compare to it and the cost to make it happen for what we have in our Gen1 version was at that $28,000 range. View attachment 190498 View attachment 190506
The hatch should be out this fall if you can wait. Dunno if options and pricing will be different or not.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Automotive design

#46 ·
Ahh ok...I thought you were trying to rope the whole "Built in America" thing into this. From a reliability standpoint, for a first-year production model, I'd agree. Hyundai builds some of their models here, but that's not one of them AFAIK.

I'd buy a Fusion built in Mexico, but they've had several years to get the model online and sort out QC issues.

#47 ·
If only the Cruze was to be a 2 door coupe hatchback we would have waited but we try to buy a car every 3 to 4 yrs and before the Cruze we owned 5 Camaros with V-6 to V-8s built in Canada they ran great with hardly any problems and we do not need a 4 door.
We are also looking for a little more power and the Veloster has it with 201hp and has shift paddles in the steering wheel with its magic 3rd door.
GM really needs to look into the 2 door concept we also looked into the Honda 2 door coupe CR-Z but it has no rear seating and that is needed for our Huskie to hop in to.

#48 ·
I also noticed that when building a premier i love Kalahari interior but i want the kinetic blue exterior and GM says its a no no..... im paying for the car why the heck cant i have a interior color just because i chose a certain exterior. i would pay the extra for the premium exterior color and i cant have the interior i want? what the F GM. i got hands on the factory ordering of my dodge turbo z. they had x amount of exteriors and x of interiors. you could have any combo you so chose

#52 ·
that may be the case, but Gm is soo big and has a huge It dept. if its an oversight shame on them. i notice same with vetts. some interiors are removed for certain packs.yes i like all back exterior maybe i want white or Kalahari interior not blk on blk.

#53 ·
Could not agree more with this thread. I want to replicate my 2014 Cruze (manual, sunroof, leather). And as stated, that is not happening. Of course the dealer says they can get you anything you want :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.