Wither The Cruze SS?

1. Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums – General discussion forum for Chevy Cruze

Welcome to Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums - a website dedicated to all things Chevy Cruze.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Chevy Cruze Forum : Chevrolet Cruze Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By sparkman
  • 2 Post By chevrasaki
  • 1 Post By jblackburn
  • 1 Post By chevrasaki
  • 2 Post By MP81

Thread: Wither The Cruze SS?

Jim Frye is offline [OP]
    Touring Champion

Wither The Cruze SS?

Well, the gauntlet's been thrown down. The Civic Type R is coming for 2018 with rumored 340 hp. What will GM do?
    2013 Crystal Black Pearl Civic EX-L Sedan w/Nav: K&N Drop In
    35,600 Mi., Avg. MPG: 32 City; 44 Hiway; 87 E10; ECON On
    months old, not a single problem, issue, or recall.

I went out to find myself. If I return before I get back, have me wait for me.
    "I have everything I need and nothin' that I don't" (Zac Brown)
    108,782 December '15 YTD 32.4%
    178,051 December '16 YTD 48.5%

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

Nothing. Lol
    jblackburn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkman View Post
    Nothing. Lol
    Lol!
    2011 Chevrolet Cruze
    Trim : 2LT
    Engine Size : 1.4L Turbo

Drag Racing Champion
    GM is missing out by not competing with the Focus ST/RS, Fiesta ST, Civic Si, Subaru WRX/STI, and Golf GTI.

The SS trim level used to be desirable, and even if they weren't the highest selling products, they gave their affordable practical cars street credibility and bragging rights and they brought customers in to look. The decision to name a car the "SS" still blows my mind. That's not a name, it's a trim level. They could have called it literally anything else, Bel Air, Nova, Vega, Sprint. But not SS.

Not everyone wants to spend 45-50K to have a 4-door car with a little bit of performance, and not everyone wants a coupe. (Even though I would like to see a Sonic/Cruze coupe) They have all the materials to build amazing vehicles. Jam the 2.0L Turbo into the Sonic or Cruze, stiffen the suspension a bit, and slap an SS badge on it. Bolt a turbo or two on the Impala, give it an SS badge, and start competing with the Taurus SHO and the Charger RT. They have the ability to do amazing things but they're too busy making the Bolt, and the mid-engine Corvette.
    Starks8 and sparkman like this.
    Current vehicles:
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Previous vehicles:
    2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Owned from 3.3K to 10.8K, Sold privately to buy Ninja 300)
    2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 5MT 2LT 2.2L I4 2-Door (Owned from New-93K, Traded for Cruze)
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix 4AT SE 3.1L V6 4-Door (First car, Owned from 93K-133K, Traded for Cobalt)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^

Resident Tater Salad

It's not like they don't have hot hatches. See Vauxhaul VXR.

Some idiot somewhere just won't let them bring them here.
    chevrasaki likes this.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    It's not like they don't have hot hatches. See Vauxhaul VXR.

Some idiot somewhere just won't let them bring them here.
    Exactly! It's not that they don't have the resources, they just won't sell them to us. I think it may be the same reason they don't sell utes here, they're afraid utes will cut into their truck sales and they're afraid affordable performance vehicles will cut into their Camaro and Corvette sales.

When really folks who just want to haul some stuff around but don't want a huge truck, or can't afford them, just buy crossovers and a trailer, and folks who would buy hot hatches take their business to other manufacturers.
    Starks8 likes this.
    Current vehicles:

Previous vehicles:
    2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Owned from 3.3K to 10.8K, Sold privately to buy Ninja 300)
    2009 Chevrolet Cobalt 5MT 2LT 2.2L I4 2-Door (Owned from New-93K, Traded for Cruze)
    2003 Pontiac Grand Prix 4AT SE 3.1L V6 4-Door (First car, Owned from 93K-133K, Traded for Cobalt)

Resident Tater Salad

Wither The Cruze SS?

Quote Originally Posted by chevrasaki View Post
    Exactly! It's not that they don't have the resources, they just won't sell them to us. I think it may be the same reason they don't sell utes here, they're afraid utes will cut into their truck sales and they're afraid affordable performance vehicles will cut into their Camaro and Corvette sales.

When really folks who just want to haul some stuff around but don't want a huge truck, or can't afford them, just buy crossovers and a trailer, and folks who would buy hot hatches take their business to other manufacturers.
    I'd still buy a GTI or Focus, lol. I have zero brand loyalty.

I hate the idea of utes, though. The small truck market really appeals to me. Hate the new Taco, love the new Canyon, and am excited to see what Ford and Nissan bring in.
    2016 Cruze Premier RS

Hidden Content

Drag Racing Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jblackburn View Post
    I'd still buy a GTI or Focus, lol. I have zero brand loyalty.

I hate the idea of utes, though. The small truck market really appeals to me. Hate the new Taco, love the new Canyon, and am excited to see what Ford and Nissan bring in.
    I may be a bit GM biased. My father works for GM Spring Hill Manufacturing (Formerly Saturn) and much of my other extended family works for GM in Michigan. I'll continue to support GM as long as they continue to support my family. (Even if I don't agree with all of their decisions)

A ute would be perfect for the 8 times I've had to move in the last 8 years, and it would be perfect for hauling my motorcycle around. Instead I've had to install a trailer hitch on my Cruze and deal with storing my trailer at a friend's house. I love utes, just look at this thing.

Though this doesn't exist, if it had a 2.0L turbo and the transmission from the Cobalt SS, it would be my perfect vehicle.

Current vehicles:

Previous vehicles:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Frye View Post
    Well, the gauntlet's been thrown down. The Civic Type R is coming for 2018 with rumored 340 hp. What will GM do?
    You mean the new Honda Civic Subaru WRX with more lines? Can't outrun that kind of ugly.
    jblackburn and chevrasaki like this.
    2014 Chevy Cruze Diesel - MSR 013 17" wheels
    Hidden Content
    2007 Chevy Cobalt LT Coupe - M62 w/ 2.9" pulley, Header/Downpipe/Exhaust, FE5 Struts/Shocks/Control Arms/Front Swaybar, SSC Springs, Powell Hardcore Rear Swaybar, MSR 045 18" wheels w/ Direzza ZIIs, G85 Recaros + much more
    Hidden Content
    1998 Chevy Cavalier Sedan - Cold Air Intake, '01 Camaro Front Seats, MES 2.25" Downpipe, Dents, Rust.
    Hidden Content
    1981 Chevy Camaro Z28 - Zapco Amp & Pre-Amp/Equilizer, Kenwood Tape Deck, Pyle 8" Woofers & SEAS 4.5" Mids in Deck, JVC Ribbon Tweeters in Doors
    Hidden Content

12. Remove Advertisements
    Chevy Cruze Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.