Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Windshield Cost?

55K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  NickD 
#1 ·
Well it happened already, a stone chip that progressed to a cracked windshield within hours.

So I got a quote for a new windshield from the dealership as I was going to try and get it fixed while it was in for the recall. They quoted $728 + tax. Ouch.

I figured it must be the classic dealership markup so I tried another auto glass shop who quoted me $748 +tax. Ouch again.

Does this not seem high for a windshield on car that's base model starts at 15k dollars?

And does anyone in the Toronto area know of a good/cheaper auto glass shop?

Cheers.

#2 ·
Well it happened already, a stone chip that progressed to a cracked windshield within hours.

So I got a quote for a new windshield from the dealership as I was going to try and get it fixed while it was in for the recall. They quoted $728 + tax. Ouch.

I figured it must be the classic dealership markup so I tried another auto glass shop who quoted me $748 +tax. Ouch again.

Does this not seem high for a windshield on car that's base model starts at 15k dollars?

And does anyone in the Toronto area know of a good/cheaper auto glass shop?

Cheers.
I am guessing that because it is a brand new car there isn't any aftermarket companies making any cheaper windshields yet.

I bet in 6 months you will find it for half as much

#7 ·
I thought all Cruze models had the acoustic windshield. Does someone know for sure?

Jim

#5 ·
Have you tried Speedy Glass or Standard Auto Glass? Also, most Canadian Insurance policies have windshield repair clauses in them. See what they will do if anything. Even if you have to pay a deductible, it will be less than paying for the windshield outright.

#6 ·
I unfortunately don't have any glass coverage on my insurance policy and my deductible is $1000 so it looks like I'm buying.

I don't have the Eco so I'm not sure if I'm getting the sound deadening glass

I called speedy glass here in Toronto (Markham) and got quoted 608+Tax plus they're coming to install it at my work with no extra charge for the mobile service.

Still seems overpriced but I can't stand looking at that crack anymore while waiting for the cheaper after market glass.

#12 ·
You should definitely look into getting the chip repaired before it cracks.

My chip occurred on my drive to work and had cracked by the time I went to get lunch on the same day. I therefore couldn't get the resin based repair for chips. You'll save a bunch of money if you get to an auto glass shop before it cracks.

#17 ·
To my knowledge OEM or aftermarket replacements are irrelevant. I could be wrong about that. In my experience I was able to specify that only OEM parts be used after my deer collision. When my car was broken into I found that all windshield replacement and repair was free. This all depends of course on your personal insurance policy.

#22 ·
I own a 2011 ECO, and the windshield is simply too fragile.
My car has 36,000 miles on it, and it now needs it's 3rd windshield.
Even the smallest rock ding results in never-ending cracking that results in windshield replacement.
I have heard that the ECO uses a special 5mm 'acoustic' windshield which, IMO, is a useless, ridiculously thin, piece of you-know-what.
Does anyone know if one of the other Cruze models utilize a 'normal' (thicker) windshield, as a better replacement option?
I could care less if the thicker glass is not as quiet, or if it adds another 10lbs of weigh.
The OEM ECO windshield was a BAD idea, GM.
How can I get a windshield that will withstand a rock ding?
HELP!

#26 ·
I am still on my original windshield at 40k (13 eco) I have had rocks scare the crap out of me when hit my windshield, I only have a slight crack on mine and its been hit hard at least 30x. Your first windshield was from GM that now has been replaced with an aftermarket windshield that typically costs around $40 bucks (I used to run a glass doctor). Its not GM no offense its where you drive and the aftermarket glass that is put in there.

#23 ·
And, yes - absolutely - if you get a chip, have it repaired the same day. Auto Glass and Safelite have each repaired a rock chip that produced a 5-pointed crack, approximately 3/4" in overall diameter. The resin works, and all you will see is the small chip where the rock struck the glass.

This chip occurred yesterday, and was only a small chip just above the pass. side wiper blade, about 1/8" in diameter. The car sat in the sun today and the chip became a crack that ran from the chip down the base of the windshield, then up 2" and horizontally across the glass to the middle of the car.

#24 ·
Windshieldtogo.com claims they have one, 208 bucks USA if you install it yourself, 308 bucks if they install it.

Haven't checked with Safelite, in my neck of the woods the best to deal with, only one that get a new rear window for my Supra and motorhome. And it seems like the prices vary considerably as to whether you have insurance or not.

Feel its worth to carry comprehensive, typically no price increases if you file a claim because you are paying for that extra protection. Carrying 100 bucks deductible wasn't too bad, but wanted 48 bucks extra per year for 50 dollar deductible.

If my windshield breaks, already has a couple of pin holes in it, will just take it to my dealer and get one with a GM label on it. For me the price would be the same.

#27 ·
Got a stone chip in my Cruze windshield in Milwaukee a couple of months ago with all those crazy dump trucks flying around without covers. Was impossible for me to get his license plate number in traffic, besides that was all covered with mud.

Called Safelite when I got home, were over two hours later, had a suitcase loaded with computer stuff held to that spot with a suction cup. Computer determined was the kind of chip that would lead to a crack, a requirement so I was told. He hit a button, and that contraption did everything. Killed time by cleaning all of my other windows and vacuuming the floor.

It was fully covered by my comprehensive plan, but did leave like a foam like mark on the windshield. So after a couple of days, hit that with my powered buffer with a very fine polish, really have to look hard now in a bright light to see it.

Suppose to be a law in our state where all dump trucks are covered, not enforced and you are expected to pay the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.