Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

No block heater

Tags
block heater
78K views 71 replies 41 participants last post by  Colt45 
#1 ·
When I was looking for a new car I asked the question if this car came with a block heater and was told it did. Now as the temperature is starting to dip in lovely Saskatchewan, I went to look for the plug, couldn't find it even after looking at the PICTURE OF ONE IN THE MANUAL, so I went out to the dealership where I bought it and was told that none of the Cruzes have a block heater. I am told that because of the small engine it won't take much to turn it over. I could also purchase an oil pan heater for $300 if I'm worried. Am I impressed?

#7 ·
Lived in Wisconsin & the U.P. of Michigan my whole life & never used a block heater. Every place I have lived my car sits outside.

The key is a good battery, fresh oil(preferably synthetic), & at least try & start your car once every couple of days(preferably every day). I also try & avoid pointing the front(radiator) into the wind when parked.

I realize the OP is in Canada where its even colder but even there its probably not necessary to have a block heater on a gas engine.

#8 ·
I don't know, it gets below 0F on multiple days in NY every year and I have no problems. All of my cars have sat outside (with exception of my newest addtion, the Cruze) and have no problems. I know it's colder in Canada but I really don't think engine block heaters are needed unless you've got a rare diesel engine

#9 ·
...FWIW, "eco" drivers will argue with you about the benefits of engine heaters, because an engine only gets its' best fuel economy when fully warmed, which typically can take up to a half-hour of driving before it's reached.

...even here in Arizona, people have been known to put a 60W or 100W light bulb under their oil pan on cold nights, just to keep the oil "warm" and easy to "flow" when the engine is first started.

Reactions: CruzzieQ
#10 ·
you can do without a block heater. I had no need for it, nor do any of my friends/family. It's a time and gas saver. But i just let the car run until the RPM's go down to 750 RPM or lower on idle.

If you really want it, just get it. They can be had for a reasonable price depending where you go.

#11 ·
Your car will start no problem, it was -30 with a windchill of -39 this morning and my cruze started with no complaints. But if you want heat in any reasonable time then it would be wize to install something. I have put off the installation of a preheater of some type simply because it was cheaper to install one myself. One thing I have found unfortunately is that even after the car has idled for 20 min from a cold start using the remote start the cabin is far from warm, the temp gauge has barely moved off it resting point and it idling happly at 750rpm like it was a sunny afternoon. I was hoping for a little more heat and less economy when it's this cold. Usually in most of my other vehicles with no idling and plugged in, I have good heat in a couple of blocks so I am hoping for something similar after the installation.

But here is where there is a slight issue. When I first looked at the option list their was no block heater choice just the oil pan heater which I found kinda of odd. I asked some mechanic friends and they said that their is a trend away from block heaters as they tend to leak and of course lead to cooling problems. I have only had to replace a block heater once in twenty five years but they obviously as mechanics might have a better perspective on the matter than me. I brought up the issue again to my mechanic remembering that I had an inline circulating heater (warms ur cabin and your engine) from my delmont 88 (which I bought off him) and he thought the lack of intrustion into the cooling system (think warranty) of the oil pan heater was what he would do. I mentioned the lack of heat after idling 20 minutes, the car is a small displacement 4 cylinder built to be a fuel mizer (less fuel burned less heat) and that the oil pan heater will probably not bring heat to the inside of the cabin any quicker. I took his non response as an agreement. A block heater maybe the better choice but the warranty people might have other ideas.

Reactions: GRIMland
#13 · (Edited)
...unfortunately, if GM didn't "design-in" the access for "block-heater" the odds are you will NOT be able to install one, because "block" heaters normally screw-into or are attached onto the block so that they can heat-up both the metal of the block as well as large amounts of coolant within the block. If provisions aren't there, then you can't (effectively) stick 'something' onto the block and expect it to work well.

...it appears that GM only offers an OIL PAN heater for the Cruze: RPO: KPK - HEATER, OIL PAN

...I'm guessing it's a special "bolt-on" oil pan assembly with heating element(s) embedded in the "pan" cover and (hopefully) a strong, protective power cable that gets routed to the front of the car.

...GM seems to have put a lot of 'faith' in their computer-controlled-thermostat system (when it's functioning perfectly), believing the small engine will "heat-up" quickly due to both its' small-size (thermal mass) and the heat of the embedded turbo-charger.

#14 ·
A long time ago I was told that the holes where block heaters were located in, were actually there for access to the coolant passages for the foundry. The block heater thing was just secondary function. The guy had or said he had worked on a production line. This was way back when disco was popular.

#17 ·
Yes, GM is charging $300 PLUS installation for an oil pan heater for the Cruze. I live in Manitoba and bought my Cruze in December. It has reached -48C here with the wind chill and I have had no problem starting my Cruze. I don't have a garage and live in the country so my yard is out in the open. I take care to nose my car up to my shed and park it "butt" to the wind, which helps. Honestly, my last 2 cars had block heaters, but I barely plugged them in anyway and they always started.
The Cruze uses the new semi synthetic Dexos oil, which gives your engine more protection. I am a GM employee and can buy the oil pan heater at a cheaper cost, but I'm not going to bother. You have to do what makes you feel comfortable though.

#18 ·
When I was looking for a new car I asked the question if this car came with a block heater and was told it did.
It doesn't unless it's ordered as an option.

Heating the 3-4 liters of oil in the oil pan is a good way to reduce cold startup engine wear and it may help the engine warm up a little faster, but those looking for "instant heat" when firing up their engine will likely be disapointed.

#19 ·
Heating the 3-4 liters of oil in the oil pan is a good way to reduce cold startup engine wear and it may help the engine warm up a little faster, but those looking for "instant heat" when firing up their engine will likely be disapointed.
...as well as getting better gas milage by reducing the warm-up time (remember, computer-controlled thermostat).

...and, yes, the "warm" oil only helps the engine, not the passenger compartment heater temperature.

#20 ·
and lord knows the longer an engine idles the more water and fuel diluted the cold engine oil gets.

ever wonder what that milky substance under the cap is? that's oil mixed with water from lack of heat in the engine oil not able to burn off water produced from condensation. the sooner the engine oil temp comes up, the less chance there is for condensation and fuel to build up, thus prolonging oil life, and by extension engine life.

#21 ·
i have another suggestion for those people just looking to jump into a warm car and not that concerned about cold starts. for around $100+ you can easily get a remote starter for your car installed. that way the car is already running and warming up while you stay all warm and toasty inside your house waiting for the car to warm up.

#27 ·
Just go to NAPA or any large auto parts store and buy an oil pan heater.
When glueing it on, just be sure to get out all the air bubbles, or it creates a hotspot that shortens the heaters lifetime.
I put them on my trucks and cars, despite their blockheaters, as warm oil flows better at start up.
Just plug it in say an hour before you plan to start the car.
A timer is good if you generally leave at the same time each day.

#28 ·
i llive in fort nelson,bc,we moved here with the cruze,big mistake,at minus 30 the car wont start,even with oil pan heater,this car has been a lemon since day 1,broken shocks,a squeak in the front that gm hasnt found a anybody smart enough to figure out.has a wind whistle,not a good cold weather ca

#29 ·
No block heater but you can get a heater that will go into the driver side radiator hose. I installed a 500watt heater, low in the radiator hose on the driver side. I use it to pre-heat the engine to increase fuel economy. I lost almost 10mpg when the weather got below 40 degrees. I run it 1/2 hour before I use the car, within 1 1/2 miles engine temp reads 160 degrees, that brought me back close to summertime mileage for the first part of my trips. You need to cut out about 2 1/2 inches of hose to fit the steel tube that the heater is in into the hose. Be careful on the clamps and make sure heating element is pointing toward engine and is below the level where the radiator hose connects back into the head and heater hoses.

#32 · (Edited)
It was neg 14C the other night here in Toronto, When I turned the car on it sounded like crap, I'm actually going to ask the dealer about it becuase I've never had a car sound this bad when starting in cold weather and this is my first "NEW" car.

I've had a 16 year old Civic that had an easier time starting in the cold.

*turn the key.. CHUG.....CHUG.....CHUG.....CHUG..CHUG..CHUG.. and then it finally smoothed out and was ok. The whole car was shaking it was chugging so bad though and before you ask, the oil is still good!

Oh and its a 1.8 LS

#34 ·
Linda,

Just to confirm you CANNOT have a traditional block heater installed in a Cruze due both to its small size and that it is turbo. I had ordered an aftermarket block heater at the time of purchasing the Cruze (a 2012 Eco) through the dealership and found out only once I moved up to Yellowknife that it was in fact an oil pan heater they had installed. It wasn't $300 though, more like $150 with install.

They have since agreed to pay for the install of a circulating heater (the other, cheaper, option in leu of a block heater is an inline heater) which both heats and circulates the engine coolant which is largely what a block heater does as compared to heating just the oil which is what an oil pan heater does.

When all is said and done I will have the oil pan heater which they initially installed, a circulating heater (to do what the engine block heater I ordered was SUPPOSED to do) and also a battery blanket.

Apparently all very good ideas up here.

#36 ·
Linda,

Just to confirm you CANNOT have a traditional block heater installed in a Cruze

When all is said and done I will have the oil pan heater which they initially installed, a circulating heater (to do what the engine block heater I ordered was SUPPOSED to do) and also a battery blanket.

Apparently all very good ideas up here.
Would you be so kind and send some pics of the inline heater install as I would like
to go there myself.

I want to confirm something without a block heater you freeze your @$$ off in these
things. I am not talking about 20 degrees F we had two weeks of -15 F with windchills
of -40. It takes way too long for this thing to warm up when it has sat for a couple of
days or more and this after starting it and letting it idle for twenty minutes.
It just produces little heat at idle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.