Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

What do you use to clean your windshield?

9K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  shaggszgn 
#1 ·
Windex without ammonia as well as their original formula is terrible as are those solutions at any gas station. Leaves streaks and a fog covering. Just tried Gunk automotive glass cleaner, still leaves a fog, but a little easier to wipe off. Tried lint free rags, old bath towels, Bounty paper towels.

This is a new problem that I have never encountered before, feels like there is some kind of plastic coating on this windshield. But already found three very tiny stone chips, ****.

88 Supra is park right next to my Cruze, can use anything on that windshield and cleans in seconds. This Cruze is driving me nuts, HELP!

#3 ·
I use Sprayway Glass Cleaner. It's very similar to Stoner's Invisible Glass. You can often get it in a pack of four cans at Sam's Club. I've only cleaned the Cruze windshield with glass cleaner once (right before I put RainX on it), and I can't say I noticed anything unusual about the way it cleaned. But then again I'm very used to cleaning a window with RainX on it. I did all windows on the Cruze in it, as well as the sunroof.

#4 ·
When it comes right down to it I don't think it really matters what brand you use if your windows are not clean. It's the same principle of claying your paint prior to polish and wax. If you don't have a clean, grime free surface the cleaners you use just won't matter much. I used Mother's new water spot removal and window cleaner and it makes the glass as smooth as a babes arse. When it is then sprayed down with your favorite window cleaner streaking is actually llittle to none.

Reactions: Starks8
#6 ·
There are some pretty decent threads around already about windshield problems and cleaning. I started one a few weeks ago. Someone in my thread replied stating that the cars have a thin film of rail car rust from the brakes all over the paint and windows. I got out a clay bar kit and scrubbed the entire car. The windows took some elbow grease, but now they repel water like no ones business. Whatever wax you have used isnt good enough. Before I had the windshield tinted, I also did the inside of it really well. And paper towels and news paper is a pain in the ass. I use one of these.

Flawles cleaning inside and out.

http://www.best-b2b.com/userimg/658/690-1/window-squeegee-782.jpg

#7 ·
Went to the Stoner's Invisible Glass website, over a dozen stores in my town sells the stuff, wonder why I never saw it anywhere. Son and I clay barred the entire vehicle, so I do not feel that is the problem. If it works as good as you say, may have to carry a bottle with me. Sure can't rely on that stuff at the gas stations when on the road.

To find that Gunk at Fleet Farm, first went to the section where they sell all that automotive cleaning and wax stuff. Was moved back to where the garden shovels are located. Clerk said these are seasonal, so moved them. Nothing there, then we walked to where they sold all those chemicals, nothing, Then we went to were they sold windshield wipers, again nothing. Then he said, I remember where it is, by the windshield fluid in the center of the oil department. Just a tiny space with the spray bottle of Gunk, an aerosol can of the stuff, way over priced, and a bottle of Armour wipes, also super expensive. I took the spray bottle.

Did get both the inside and outside of the windshield clean, but took me over ten minutes.

#9 ·
+1 for invisible glass.

ALSO, check your parts department at your dealership for the AC Delco glass cleaner. It's like $2 at mine, and all the guys who work at the plant always send their wives to pick it up over windex. Similar concept to invisible glass (foaming spray), but a **** of a lot cheaper.

#10 ·
The Mother's product is only for the outside surface. You're not supposed to use it on the inside but I don't know why. I think the Cruze windshield is special in the sense that it's "acoutically treated" but I don't know what that means about how you clean it.

The only way I've found to clean auto glass is to do the job twice. First clean like you always do, then go over it again with a dry soft cloth to remove the film left behind from the first cleaning. I'd actually like to try wax on the inside surface but I'm too chicken to do it. I'm afraid it would mess it up so bad I'd never get it right afterwards. I do remember a product called Glasswax that was sold more than 40 years ago for household glass cleaning. There wasn't a film afterward but it was never sold as an automotive glass cleaning product.

I've also heard BonAmi cleanser is good for the outside surface. It's claim to fame is it won't scratch the surface. I've never tried it.

#12 · (Edited)
Take an empty windex spray bottle, fill it with rubbing alcohol from Walmart and if you want it to be blue add a little bit of windshield washer fluid for coloring. Works well and is inexpensive.

After a year of use, the front windshield will have a build up of "oils" coming from various sources. I use paper towels and acetone (apply acetone directly and sparingly to the paper towell away from the car) to clean the glass making sure not to touch anything but the glass with the acetone. Followup with de-natured alcohol or rubbing alcohol.

Reactions: TechCruzer
#14 ·
3rd store had Stoney Invisible Glass, of all places, Walmart in their automotive section. But had to get on my hands and knees to find it, way on the bottom shelve and apparently a hot seller as only a couple of bottles back way at the rear.

On the top shelve had Rain-X, tempting, with the claim of streak free plus that Rain-X stuff in it.

Stoney is different, like splashing the windshield with water, took a number of paper towels to wipe it dry, but does do the job. Windex practically evaporates off before you can get a rag on it.

Thanks for the tip.

#15 ·
Water and a little bit of joy soap ... Works like a streakless charm

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

#19 ·
All the "old timers" that I know will ONLY use a mixture of Vinegar and water to clean windows...this is in their house. BUT!! They will ONLY use Newspapers to wipe it off. They NEVER use paper towels to clean windows.

I remember my Dad, EVERY TIME he cleaned the car windows he would ALWAYS have a hand full of newspapers to use on the windows. When I asked him one time, why not use paper towels...his answer...newspapers NEVER leave streaks. Guess that's why older people use them on their house windows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.