This is my recent experience with GM Customer Service:
1. I called GM Customer Service if there was anything they could do for me because my Cruze has literally become a pain the back because of the hard seats. First time I called and they suggested--you guessed it, a cushion. Thank you very much good bye. Okay so I feel ridiculous enough and go about my business.
2. A few weeks later I try with GM Customer Service online using the chat function. This time I ask about the possibility of assistance in trading for a Malibu. Finally after being on the equivalent of hold for about 5 minutes the CS person says GM does not offer any assistance (wish I could remember her exact words) and would I like to see if there are any incentives in my area. I give her my zip code and again I wait. She comes back and tells me there are no incentives in my area for the Malibu. I keep explaining my bad back and how I know its not GMs fault yadda yadda yadda and BTW I do own 3 GM vehicles and have been a long time loyal customer. I'm waiting for the CS person to figure out some way of brushing me off. She finally offers me the phone number for " marketing " she has suddenly discovered and gets me off line that way. The number she gave me was, of course, the customer service number listed on the web site I was using to type my chat messages.
3. So I call using that number and get a someone with a foreign accent and I tell her my story.
And finally after being on hold a couple of times she tells me there if nothing GM can do, but to go the extra mile for me she will call the dealer. We hang up and a little while later she calls back and tells me the salesman said I could trade in my Cruze any time I felt like it! I was hardly able to talk and said "OK" and "thanks" and hung up.
4. A couple of days later I spoke with my salesman and he said he received a weird call from CS, that the girl asked if I could trade in my Cruze. "Well sure he can," answered my Salesman. The CS girl then asks, "When?". I was in the detail area when I got the call and wasn't sure I heard her correctly, but I told her "Well anytime he wants to." (big laugh here)
5. About a week later--about two hours ago as a matter of fact. I see a toll-free number ringing in. I almost didn't answer, but finally for some reason did. It's the same foreign female following up with my complaint/question. She asks: Do I mind if she puts me on hold so she can check if there is anything GM can do to help trade for the Malibu. (??????) Sure, I don't mind I tell her. About two minutes later she comes back and tells me that no, there is nothing that GM can do to assist me. I say "OK" thank her and hang up. What the Fudge was that call all about?
Is it current GM policy that if you don't piss off the customer on the first go around to wait a few days and try again?? I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I mean why--just why make that last call?
It's a good thing I'm a saintly man that doesn't curse...uh hem.